mower issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Homunculi, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hey, What you got then?

2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Yeah--portable house fan. Set it on "Hurricane".

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

mower.

techsar, SB21, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  4. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

deere wants 300$ to check it out then what ever to fix it ..... have a few customers telling me the coil is getting hot and not firing till it cools

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Easy enough to check.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I have read many good posts from the other monkeys
    @Homunculi
    Get up and do the tests posted !
    Im 155/hr
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 and techsar like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not only customers telling you that. Get off your ass and clean it up.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

How's my new mower coming along today?

techsar likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

EZ fix
    buy a new one,
    sell the old one.

10. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

coil installed .... looks like they had a super-session to the old coil .. new coil and new style boot

ran it for an hour tonight ... shut it off ... waited 3-5 min ... fired right back up

oldawg, HK_User, Capt. Tyree and 2 others like this.
  11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Biggest problem is that da** ethanol in gas. Sit with gas in carb and they get like a white chalk deposit in them, carb cleaner will not touch it and with the laws now, can't adjust idle and run to compensate. Will start on full choke and run ok at about 1/2 choke, but gensets hunt under load. Have to run a copper wire thru the passages to scrape them or replace carb to make it run right. With the shop hour rate, it is cheaper and safer to just replace it. If you can, buy straight gas, if you can't, change gas every few months, use stabile or some other additive, and always shut off gas and run carb dry. Best luck I have had was never turn genset off unless refueling, that way you have to turn off gas and let it run dry. Same with chain saws, log splitters, water pumps, etc, it takes every trick you can do to try to protect the engines from the da** greens and their saving the planet with ethanol, 84 octane gas, etc.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ez-Off oven cleaner will clean out that grout in those carbs,Just don't let it stand to long.....

oldawg and duane like this.
  13. duane

duane Monkey+++

Never tried it, how do you get it up into the passages that lead to the jets and the bypasses etc around the choke and throttle plate? The stuff the wife uses is about the same thickness as honey and would clean the outside, but not the passages. Most of the cleaners use lye to react with the grease and then remove the sort of soap created.
    Would peobably react to the zinc etc in the carb as well.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I use it with carb cleaner,Spray the Ez-off and let it set 15/20 seconds,Rinse with carb cleaner,Repeat as necessary.
    That Ez-off is some bad stuff if left to long in a carb...It works though!

oldawg likes this.
  15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

If your having trouble getting the ezoff into the small air bleeds use an eye dropper and muratic acid. Don't leave it long and chase with non chlorinated brake cleaner or you can use chem tool spray if no plastic or rubber is involved. I've been having good luck(so far) with just replacing the carb with chinese carbs from ebay. They're cheaper than kits usually. Tip cleaners and brushes are your friend too.

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

muratic acid is my 3rd choice , but I have my ways .
    NOW install a shut off valve .

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  17. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yep, I should have mentioned the shut off valve. I keep them on the shelf in different hose sizes. Thanks CS.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Also if a manual valve is not installed and the OEM anti flood valve goes bad then you can find the engine full of gas from the cylinder to the lower end.

One spark and you have one heck of a mess to clean up after the Fire Dept leaves.

Cruisin Sloth, Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7