Much maligned but ever ready ... A.L.I.C.E.

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by medicineman, Mar 11, 2017.

1. medicineman

medicineman Survival Guru

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

missing is the ALICE butt bag / fanny pack

upload_2017-3-12_15-3-51.
    ET cover and bayonet frog....

upload_2017-3-12_15-6-44.

the bed roll carrier - (spider) sets off the ensemble....

upload_2017-3-12_15-12-4.

as worn by Australian troops for many years....
    upload_2017-3-12_15-14-48.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You can also use the site search function for a lot more info and reviews of Alice gear.

stg58, GOG, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I'm old, I have old web gear and it will still work just fine. It isn't particularly light or high speed, low drag, but then I'm not either. If I need to start wearing web gear I have a lot more problems than whether my web gear is high tech.

5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

ALICE be like Barbie dolls for men. Take an LC-2 frame, with shelf, add two of the ALICE butt packs and a couple of Sustainment pouches and you have...this. Frankenruck.

I put this together for a Vet that runs the local surplus store (907 Surplus) in an effort to try and ramp up sales.

Gator 45/70, GOG and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Man....I'd carry that on my back to the Sydney Gay& Lesbian Mardi Gras..... The purple would be just so right! :LOL:

7. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

ALICE just works. I have been using the same LBE since the early 1990's. Obviously, there are mission dependant rigs which have priority, but for general field ops, the old LBE is the best!

The butt pack is a great bit of gear. I still have a rubber lined canvas one.

The angle neck flashlight is a POS though. Still run a mini Maglight with extra AA batteries. They are lighter, more durable and easier to use.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

[worthless]

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

After 20 or 30 miles, it's a damned torture device, not a backpack.
    Granted, the A.L.I.C.E. packs had their time and I've lived long enough to have been forced to use them, but in this millennium, there's much more available to you that won't break your body as well as your spirit. I can live with a broken wallet.

[notworking]

I do like the LBE for hikes and general use. However, they become obsolete with modern chest rigs and plate carrier systems.

10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Good ole ALICE...she's just like a wife - I may flirt, or even have a short fling with some of the younger beauties that catch my eye, but I seem to keep coming back to her.

Motomom34, medicineman, stg58 and 2 others like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I used a growed up ALICE pack for 5 years in S&R abut 70 lbs worth .
    It's my secondary bug out bag now .
    If it were not for a fire ,it would be perfect , such is life.
    Few bags I've owned, have stood the test of time, and real time use.
    My EDC bag is a Swiss army computer back pack , and it is seriously tough as well .
    DSCN4471.JPG
    I cary roughly 40 lbs every day.
    Sorry for the bad picture .

12. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Being Canadian I'm not as familiar with the US program but is that BSA patch near the top?

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

3M-TA3 likes this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have long used Alice gear, as it was issue during my service days. Still have a full Alice rig.
    Lately, I have been building MOLLE rigs for specific purposes, in different camo patterns.
    I have been adapting Alice and civilian pouches and carriers to fit the MOLLE gear. I like the Plug&Play concept.

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  15. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

The pack, not so great (using a 'medium' pack without a frame can be done but can cause serious nerve damage in the arms), but the belt and suspenders are superior to a vest, IMHO, if you're not in a vehicle.

And I keep a fanny pack with a utility strap, a 1 qt canteen, an IFAK, and a few loaded magazines near my immediate-action carbine: If I need more than that at home, I'm probably screwed anyway.

chelloveck likes this.
  16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

We have a couple of different rigs, the Alice rigs are still hanging around;)
    While it's probably not the best long term, I really like the AF survival vest. That with the Alice suspenders ain't a bad way to go either IMO.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    chelloveck likes this.
  17. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Keeping ALICE under 30 lbs makes for Happy Humps-Allot's. Installing a tactical messenger bag in the Old Radio Compartment adds another level of versatility. Unlike many of today's systems, ALICE was designed to be shed in stages as situations arose. Going from humping everything you owned, down to fleeing with only Combat Essentials, required only instantaneous minimal movements. Today's plastic frames aren't bad choices for lighter weight packs. I'd recommend the large ALICE pack for most adults as it allows for better access of the more versatile external compartments than the medium ALICE pack. The Old Belt & Suspenders ALICE system is probably more practical than the Load Bearing Vest, if aren't in need of extreme amounts of ammunition.

Tactical_Messenger_Bag. WOODLAND CAMO LOAD BEARING VEST 1. ILBE_ALICE.

Motomom34, GOG and Tully Mars like this.
  18. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

The one i have is now over 40 years old and fine.I do wonder as my "waterproof" pouches still SMELL horrible,if the new one have that to.

19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Most of my newer gear has no smell. The older Alice gear can smell musty.
    I did buy one carry bag, older style heavy canvas, that absolutely REEKS! Ordered by mail, so no way to check before ordering. One day I will soak it in a cleaning solution and try to destinkify it.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. damoc
  3. JC Refuge
  4. HK_User
  5. JC Refuge
  6. JC Refuge
  7. chelloveck
  8. stg58
  9. SurvivalTech
  10. Jeff Brackett
  11. Huntinbull
  12. vja4Him