MURS security

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Avarice, Dec 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

murs-radio.com

It offers passive infrared motion security, or a driveway car detection band, all transmitting wireless to your base set in your home, which then communicates with your handhelds. Pretty cool, and it's pretty cheap compared to what you'd expect.

Tully Mars and BTPost like this.
  2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Got a whole system of them. 10 of the detectors, 2 base stations, and 10 radios (5 for each). They are great, as long as you keep the batteries in the detectors (D Cells) changed out monthly. I recommend finding rechargeable D's and several solar chargers for post SHTF.

3. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

I don't quite get what this is you're talking about. How/Why use MURS radios for home security? What is done with the base station transmitting alarms?

I am somewhat familiar with the MURS channels (5 of them, right?). I've heard fast food drive thru workers using them and that's about it. NO licensure needed for them?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I love that $110 radio though, 2 way with tx ability in murs,gmrs,frs,2m,440!

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

look before leaping

Before you send your dollars, read the terms and conditions very carefully. Very. Carefully.

I suspect you may find their 'customer service' somewhat tricky to deal with. No saying these guys are not legit, just know what you are possibly buying into.

Cephus likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

DKR makes good points here. These guys are Chinese OEMs, and have just opened up a USA subsidiary, to market their products. There are two or three of these outfits, that have just entered the US Market, with very similar products. Not saying they are Bad, or good, just that they are NEW to the US Market. At the Price quoted, they could be classed as "Throw-Away", or Disposable Units, so if, or when, they quit, you just chuck them, and go to the backup units. The other thing to be aware of, is MURS is a very non-SECURE band to be using, if you are worried about OPSec. It only has 5 channels and are easily Scannable, and DF-able. The same is generally True, for FRS/GMRS. Scannable, and DF-able. .... YMMV.....

Cephus likes this.
  6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I don't know who that website listed above is, but I use the Dakota Alert system they are selling. You can buy it a lot of places.....cheapest I found when I was buying was a place out of Canada, Automation Solutions.

Regarding Papa's questions:

The Dakota Alert equipment ( and be sure you are looking at their MURS stuff, they sell some other non-MURS stuff as well ) is simply detectors that use the MURS frequency to transmit signals from the remote detectors to a base or handheld unit.

The base unit they sell will accept signal from up to 4 field units.....either a unit with a magnetic probe you bury in or beside a road to detect vehicle mass, or a motion type detector. These units use 6 AA batteries, and can transmit signal up a couple miles.....the best range of any I can find around.

The base unit I have in my kitchen, and when someone comes up the drive, I have 3 detectors that announce "Alert Zone 1 ( or 2 or 3 )" and lets me know how far up the drive they are. I have a sensor for the 4th zone, but don't use it at present. Also have a spare base unit, and 4 motion sensors for it ( you have a choice of a LOT of different sub-channels, so you can run several of the bases at one time, and not conflict ) that I would deploy in zones in a SHTF situation for early warning of anyone approaching the house.

My "guess" is if you already have MURS equipment, you could do without the base or handheld receiver, as the field sensors are what send the English language message "Alert Zone whatever", ( and they do it 3 times in a row when the sensor is tripped )......you'd just have the field units and your receiver in "snyc"

Batteries in the field sensors last 6mo to a year ( depending on the amount of times tripped ), and the base unit has a 'wall wart' for 120vAC to 12vDC conversion, meaning you could run the base off a 12v battery if needed in a pinch.

I tried a bunch of different driveway alert systems, and this is the one I've found most dependable. I HIGHLY recommend this system if you want a dependable, fairly long distance, alert system, either for your drive, or whatever.

If anyone has any questions about them, their use, or whatever, fire away.

Tully Mars, BTPost and Cephus like this.
  7. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Not to stir the pot to much,but I have 7 driveway detectors.
    They take no batteries,
    are MADE IN THE U.S.A.,
    have intellegence,
    by their tone I know if the intruder's a friend,foe,animal,or human,
    would help me fight any threat even if I wasnt present,
    are portable,
    and if worse comes to worse they are edible.
    THEY ARE CALLED DOGS!!
    Matt

8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I'd defeat yer driveway detectors with two packages of Hot Dogs!!! LoL

9. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

You'd have to figure out how to get past the front pasture,which is 5 strand barbed wire covered with briers.
    Even then you would meet dog#8 first which is the mother inlaws dobbie(she can be down right scary after dark).
    The other three sides of the property are fenced with barb wire,and sorrounded by thick Florida pine scrub that no one could make it through without waking the dead.
    Anyone wandering around my neighborhood at night with meat might very likely end up meeting Mr.Black Bear(He's probably close to 500lbs),one of his three relatives,or the neighbor's monster dogs(3Danes,2Mastiffs)acrossed the way.
    Any direction you come from down the dirt roads in my neighborhood could be heard,espescially at night becouse everyone there has dogs.
    Even during the day I can sit on my porch and track someones movement in the hood becouse of the barks.
    From the tone of the barks,you can also tell whether it's a person,or the bear/bears making their rounds.
    Matt

1. melbo
  2. melbo
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Beano
  6. Gunny Highway
  7. Airtime
  8. dragonfly
  9. Ommega
  10. TnAndy
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary