Mustard on Minor Burns?

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Motomom34, Dec 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Been reading about putting yellow mustard on minor burns. Some say that it is the vinegar and turmeric in the mustard that soothes the burn and keeps it from blistering. Health officials are saying that mustard on a burn is not a good idea but regular folks are saying it really works. Anyone tried it?

For finger burns: after cool water has been applied to burn, slather with mustard and wrap in aluminum foil (shiny side towards burn). The foil will help alleviate the pain.

Fact or fiction?

Survival uses for mustard

snake6264, Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I only put mustard on my Hot Dawgs…

3. Don't know about mustard, BUT DO NOT put butter on burns. It holds the heat in. Best bet is cool water.

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I keep aloe vera plants around outside the house, More than once a neighbor hits me up for a leaf.

snake6264, Meat and techsar like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It's the vinegar doing the job, pretty much any mild astringents will do the same, witch hazel is a very good one, especially when it's mixed with vinegar and or aloe!

Gator 45/70 and OldDude49 like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

EGG only , and around here its the Duck type Uncooked embryo , wrap in gauze and leave for the next shower to clean off the heal.
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

does NOT sound right... once burned my hand on a hot exhaust... person with me handed me an ice cold beer can... held it for a long time...

and when it got warm he traded it out for another ice cold beer can... musta held ice cold beers for over an hour... ???

well was kinda inebriated... this happened while I was in the military... was not back from the southeast asian war games but maybe 2 months...

next day woke up... and saw my hand... had a lot of dead skin on it but NO blisters or much of anything burn wise...

peeled off the dead skin and went about my day...

all that said... wrapping foil shiny side in sounds like a adding to the heat and thus makes the burn worse???

so think it's BS... or misguided health info???

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

ice is not good, you want to leave the burn at room temp.for good blood flow, if your going to blister, you Want the flow. If it's a Third degree, warm salt water with a vinegar rinse is the only treatment, followed by lots of fresh air. Once the pain subsides, then the fun starts, abraiding! Don't get a third degree or worse, you don't want to experience any of that!

DKR, Gator 45/70 and Dont like this.
  9. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Place the finger or hand that is burned in a dish of honey. As the honey warms move the hand or finger around to get fresh honey in contact. This seems to work faster than even Aloe Vera. Of course the medical folks will not agree with this.

Cruisin Sloth, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Oh no, Honey has been used for thousands of years, Bacteria can't survive in it !

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. BTPost

And do you know WHY Honey is a Great AntiBacteria?

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nooe, I just know unprocessed raw honey is great for aligerys

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I use colloidal silver both internally and externally for just about everything, including all burns, surface or deep, scrapes, punctures, including internal issues like coved 19. I drank 10oz when I discovered I was infected.took the recommended vitamins, and soaked up some sunlight.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Want to answer, or let the class figure it out? Lol

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. BTPost

It is because of the Ph, and the Osmotic Pressure, due to the High Sugar content, that sucks the H20 out of the Bacteria, and kills them deader than a fritter… Also it is why Honey does’t work on Viruses… They do not need H2O to live, as they use the infected cells H2O, and proteins, and just rewrite the infected cells DNA to match their own…

Yea, I did actually learn a few things 50+ years ago while in Biology 201 in college…

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Like I can spell those 25 cent words, Much less know what they mean?

[ROFL][ROFL][ROFL]

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Think of how your body processes sugars, This is the key to why sugar has been used in the past for wound treatments.
    Honey has the additional benefits as an anti bacterial as well as breaking through colognes and processing glucose to speed thing along in the healing process!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I do remember reading during the Napoleonic era and the soldiers using honey on wounds...now we know.

Cruisin Sloth, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Given the volatile oils in Mustard I would agree with science on this one.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Gives a whole new meaning to..

"Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"
    "But of course!"

Godspeed

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7