muzzle loader advice?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by groovy mike, Mar 11, 2008.

1. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>I think I’m going to start looking for the last muzzle loader I’ll ever buy.
    I’m leaning toward a break open, synthetic stock, camo pattern with out of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]<st1:Street w:st=" /><st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">box</st1:Street> 2</st1:address> MOA or better accuracy. Maybe 45 caliber with a 209 primer. Now all I need to do is find one that meets that description. I hear good things about Knight and Thompson brands although I don’t particularly care for the disc primer option.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://survivalmonkey.com/forum/ />
    <FONT face=<font size=" />
    Anybody have recommendations?

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a flintlock Kentucky rifle that will always be in my arsenal because they can't unteach me how to make powder or knap flint.

3. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

I should add that I've had in-lines and traditional. There's a family heiloom Thompson 54 cal Hawken, I sold my CVa inline to buy a 75 caliber Brown bess flint lock repro I use for reenacting rev war events, and there's a grogeous gentleman's 100 year old vintage double rifle caplock on my shelf already.

Now I'm looking for a working gun for whacking white tail in the sleet and rain at 150 yards during the early and late seasons when I can't use a centerfire rifle. This isn't about a sporting chance for Bambi or nostaligia for our ancestors, this is for putting meat in the freezer and giving myself the most range and accuracy I can get to do so with a muzzle loader.

Thanks for the advice so far!
    Mike

4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I posted to the repost of the thread insurf and turff but didnt see some of the info on the intended purpose so figured it might have beenfor survival after the ammo ran out. So you could just ignore the last part of it that relates to that particular issue where I basicly point out the idea a flintlock is about all that would fill THAT bill and then only if you can make your own powder and bullets and knap the flint.

5. Abby Normal

Abby Normal Monkey++

Personally I would opt for a .50 caliber, there seem to be (at least in my neck of the woods) more options in firearms...otherwise I think you're on the right track with the break open, synthetic stock, camo pattern...IMHO, YMMV

[beer]

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The .45 coud be pretty good inthe sence that you can buy a lot of choices of bullets includeing the ones cast for reloading handgun ammo.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

TC omega with the Nikon Omega scope with has the hold over marks matched to the TC omega ML
    or the optima
    If you want a high performance look at the http://www.ultimatefirearms.com/
    they make the long range ML nobody can beat for the money.
    I have an old TC Hawkin 54 percussion that is killing machine.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7