My .22's

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Valkman, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Let's see I have a Sears & Roebuck single-shot rifle my Dad gave me in '68 when I was 13. He later said it cost well under $20!

I also have a Marlin 60 rifle, a Ruger Mark II 6 7/8" bull-barrel pistol I used when I started shooting Bullseye and another standard Mark II that's the wife's. Then there's the S&W M41 that I graduated to for Bullseye - it's an older model and I paid $525 used. I love that gun, it must have a 2# trigger pull!

I used to have a Remington Nylon 66 that was a great rifle - I won it but it "disappeared" when I had a girlfriend with a drug problem.

I'll admit I haven't shot any .22 in some time. Seems that since I started reloading I've really gotten into the bigger calibers and have had alot of fun shooting them. I also have a Savage .17 rifle that's amazingly accurate - just ugly so I re-did the stock. :)

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The only .22 I have currently is a Ruger 10/22 that I use for the chickens and have to hold like a pistol when I take the bunnies out for butchering to get them in the head while I hold them at arms length. Im wanting to pick up a cheap little .22 pistol for that but havent gotten to yet.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I love the .22.
    I also love the 50.

It's not the size for my 'fun' stuff
    I just like to shoot and manage to pop off 20-30 rounds of Suppressed 22LR off my back deck every other night.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I gotta get me one of those..................

5. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Ruger 22/45. Even my 22 has grip frame like a real gun.

Ruger 10/22.

Mossberg bolt action. Paid $75 in a pawn shop, mounted a $25 4X scope. Shot a five shot, 0.55" outside to outside group with Federal High Velocity at 25 yards. Subtract bullet diameter, comes out about 0.33" size group. OK for $100.

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Let's see, my first .22 was a Mossberg 320TR, it is a single shot, bolt action smooth bore, with rifled "insert" that is threaded into the end of the barrel. I got this from my grandfather with I was 10 or 11.

Now, in the past year I have added:
    Ruger 10/22
    Sig Mosquito
    Winchester 67 (inherited from my dad, it was his as a youth)

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

How do you like the 'skeeter? saw one at gander mtn and it felt great in the hand but interweb serarching turned up a mess of bad reviews...:)

8. kckndrgn

I've had pretty good luck with mine. I had 4 failure to feed in the first 50 rounds, after that not much of a problem. If I use CCI mini-mags for some reason the 10 round will eject out of the mag when the 9th round is shot. I'm going to get another mag to see if it's a mag issue, but it only happens with the mini-mags.[shrug]

My wife doesn't like it, she says there's not enough recoil [lolol]

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I finally stopped counting my rimfires when I passed the 'thirty' mark. For awhile, they were so cheap to buy, I was collecting them like Lays Tater Chips. :lol:

But, the days of the 'cheap twentytwo' seem over......

I recently paid $99 for a beat-up Mossberg Model 40. Dang, that is getting into real money!

I have been neglecting the rimfires lately, since I have gotten back seriously into reloading the centerfires. Hmmm..... I feel the need for some 'stress relief' this weekend at our local range - rimfires are superb for that!

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Stress relief and grins without end are found in reactive targets. Hang some MT plastic bottles from a tree branch, or make a frame to hang them from. No need to reset or use a spotting scope to see when you hit them. Supposed to be a way to get and keep neophytes interested. Works for lazy buggers, too.

11. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Wow, old thread!

I added a Mark II for my wife and a .22 kit for my Uzi. Add supressor and it's "huge grin factor" time!

12. enough

enough Monkey++

Hello all, I think this is my first post ... I just registered the other day.

I have a sig mosquito. Actually, I'm on my second one. The first one was fussy until I found the right ammo. Then it was fine until about 12,000 rounds. Then it was a mess. I sent it back for warranty twice, and they finally just gave me a brand new one. I've yet to even fire the new one.

I also have a Henry lever action .22 carbine which is by far the most fun I have shooting any of my guns.

13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks on the 'squito reports guys...probably look into mark II's (III"s?)or maybe buck marks....

14. kckndrgn

Tango, I was actually going to get a buckmark, but the boss at the range where I work "just happened to get an extra mosquito in", and I just couldn't let it sit in the case.:lol:

15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got a few .22s; my favorite is a Colt Woodsman that was made the same year I was (1956). I have a Llama that is built like a miniature 1911, a Walther PPK, a North American Arms mini-revolver, a Colt Frontier, a Ruger single-six, a High Standard HD Military, A high Standard Victor and Trophy, a Rug\ger 77-22, a 10-22, A Colt Diamond-back, a Springfield .22-.410 survival rifle, a Browning lever-action, a Henry lever-action, a Remington Nylon 66, a Ciener .22 conversion on an AR15 and a Kimber .22 conversion on a Colt 80 series 1911. There are probably another half-dozen of so lying around that I have forgotten about but these are what I can see sitting here at my desk.

16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

For the real 'riflemen' among us who desire a challenge.....

Try taping aspirins on a sheet of black poster board at 50 yards - I got my derrierre whacked by a 12 year old kid first time I tried it! But in my defense, he had been shooting competitively since he was ten! He had a mighty nice tricked-out 10-22 too. :lol:

I've gotten better.....

Also, white wedding cookies on the 100-yard berm! Reactive targets, and bio-degradable/eatable too!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7