1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

My .22's

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Valkman, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Let's see I have a Sears & Roebuck single-shot rifle my Dad gave me in '68 when I was 13. He later said it cost well under $20!

I also have a Marlin 60 rifle, a Ruger Mark II 6 7/8" bull-barrel pistol I used when I started shooting Bullseye and another standard Mark II that's the wife's. Then there's the S&W M41 that I graduated to for Bullseye - it's an older model and I paid $525 used. I love that gun, it must have a 2# trigger pull!

I used to have a Remington Nylon 66 that was a great rifle - I won it but it "disappeared" when I had a girlfriend with a drug problem.

I'll admit I haven't shot any .22 in some time. Seems that since I started reloading I've really gotten into the bigger calibers and have had alot of fun shooting them. I also have a Savage .17 rifle that's amazingly accurate - just ugly so I re-did the stock. :)
  2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The only .22 I have currently is a Ruger 10/22 that I use for the chickens and have to hold like a pistol when I take the bunnies out for butchering to get them in the head while I hold them at arms length. Im wanting to pick up a cheap little .22 pistol for that but havent gotten to yet.
  3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I love the .22.
    I also love the 50.

It's not the size for my 'fun' stuff
    I just like to shoot and manage to pop off 20-30 rounds of Suppressed 22LR off my back deck every other night.
  4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I gotta get me one of those..................
  5. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Ruger 22/45. Even my 22 has grip frame like a real gun.

Ruger 10/22.

Mossberg bolt action. Paid $75 in a pawn shop, mounted a $25 4X scope. Shot a five shot, 0.55" outside to outside group with Federal High Velocity at 25 yards. Subtract bullet diameter, comes out about 0.33" size group. OK for $100.
  6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Moderator Moderator Founding Member

Let's see, my first .22 was a Mossberg 320TR, it is a single shot, bolt action smooth bore, with rifled "insert" that is threaded into the end of the barrel. I got this from my grandfather with I was 10 or 11.

Now, in the past year I have added:
    Ruger 10/22
    Sig Mosquito
    Winchester 67 (inherited from my dad, it was his as a youth)
  7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

How do you like the 'skeeter? saw one at gander mtn and it felt great in the hand but interweb serarching turned up a mess of bad reviews...:)
  8. kckndrgn

I've had pretty good luck with mine. I had 4 failure to feed in the first 50 rounds, after that not much of a problem. If I use CCI mini-mags for some reason the 10 round will eject out of the mag when the 9th round is shot. I'm going to get another mag to see if it's a mag issue, but it only happens with the mini-mags.[shrug]

My wife doesn't like it, she says there's not enough recoil [lolol]
  9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

I finally stopped counting my rimfires when I passed the 'thirty' mark. For awhile, they were so cheap to buy, I was collecting them like Lays Tater Chips. :lol:

But, the days of the 'cheap twentytwo' seem over......

I recently paid $99 for a beat-up Mossberg Model 40. Dang, that is getting into real money!

I have been neglecting the rimfires lately, since I have gotten back seriously into reloading the centerfires. Hmmm..... I feel the need for some 'stress relief' this weekend at our local range - rimfires are superb for that!
  10. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Stress relief and grins without end are found in reactive targets. Hang some MT plastic bottles from a tree branch, or make a frame to hang them from. No need to reset or use a spotting scope to see when you hit them. Supposed to be a way to get and keep neophytes interested. Works for lazy buggers, too.
  11. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Wow, old thread!

I added a Mark II for my wife and a .22 kit for my Uzi. Add supressor and it's "huge grin factor" time!
  12. enough

enough Monkey++

Hello all, I think this is my first post ... I just registered the other day.

I have a sig mosquito. Actually, I'm on my second one. The first one was fussy until I found the right ammo. Then it was fine until about 12,000 rounds. Then it was a mess. I sent it back for warranty twice, and they finally just gave me a brand new one. I've yet to even fire the new one.

I also have a Henry lever action .22 carbine which is by far the most fun I have shooting any of my guns.
  13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks on the 'squito reports guys...probably look into mark II's (III"s?)or maybe buck marks....
  14. kckndrgn

Tango, I was actually going to get a buckmark, but the boss at the range where I work "just happened to get an extra mosquito in", and I just couldn't let it sit in the case.:lol:
  15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got a few .22s; my favorite is a Colt Woodsman that was made the same year I was (1956). I have a Llama that is built like a miniature 1911, a Walther PPK, a North American Arms mini-revolver, a Colt Frontier, a Ruger single-six, a High Standard HD Military, A high Standard Victor and Trophy, a Rug\ger 77-22, a 10-22, A Colt Diamond-back, a Springfield .22-.410 survival rifle, a Browning lever-action, a Henry lever-action, a Remington Nylon 66, a Ciener .22 conversion on an AR15 and a Kimber .22 conversion on a Colt 80 series 1911. There are probably another half-dozen of so lying around that I have forgotten about but these are what I can see sitting here at my desk.
  16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

For the real 'riflemen' among us who desire a challenge.....

Try taping aspirins on a sheet of black poster board at 50 yards - I got my derrierre whacked by a 12 year old kid first time I tried it! But in my defense, he had been shooting competitively since he was ten! He had a mighty nice tricked-out 10-22 too. :lol:

I've gotten better.....

Also, white wedding cookies on the 100-yard berm! Reactive targets, and bio-degradable/eatable too!
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary