My aquaponics system

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by ditch witch, Oct 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gopherman likes this.
  3. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Ok, I'm curious you posted this a long time ago, how did it work out. I have some friends that are doing it and they have a million Tolapia.
    They have like 7 tote flats going but very little to show for it. Did it work out like you thought it would?
    The ones I have seen aren't very good for growing large plants. Thought I might set one up for sprouting my rail system, which isn't very good for large plants either.
    Inquiring bipedal minds need to know!

Ganado likes this.
  4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

It worked awesome. So awesome, that we tore it down this year and rebuilt it three times larger. 2, 275 gallon fish tanks plus 10 grow beds. We also switched to a deep water raft system, partly because neither of us wanted to haul 10,000,000 buckets of gravel to the new beds.

Large plants work but they come with unique requirements. Support being one. There's a big commercial system about an hour from us and they use vertical ties suspended from the roof of the greenhouse to keep the tomatoes and pole beans upright. Zucchini jammed up the flow lines with insane root systems. Okra and corn can work .... on an IBC setup like ours you can take one of the cast off tank cages and set it back on the bed to form a cage around the okra and corn. However, okra does well enough in the dirt that I think it's a waste of a bed, and while corn LOVES it (all that water) it just isn't economical due to the amount of space it needs.

Sadly we do not have a greenhouse YET so are in the middle of breaking it back down for the winter. The fish will have to come indoors. We get way too cold here to keep it running through the winter. I did it that first year with the 2 bed setup but I can't afford to keep tank heaters and space heaters and whatnot out just for some winter salads.

Gopherman, Ganado, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  5. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Thanks for the info! That's pretty much what I thought,. I have seen people run lines down in other video's, it seems like a lot of work and if I had a really big proper green house I could probably do that, but mine is made out of PT 1x4's, in fact I'm surprised and concerned, the weight of that vine hasn't collapsed it. I never thought it would get that big. I bought PT 2x4's to reinforce it, as soon as the season is over and I cut down that vine.
    Over all its cost me $150 for a pallet of them and took 12 hours to complete, so for 3 seasons so far I got my moneys worth out of, just in case it comes crashing down.
    I like your video, what kind of fish are those? They look like White Perch.

Ganado likes this.
  6. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Those were Sand Bass. I'd read how one university taught wild caught ones to take feed so I tried with some we caught fishing. They never would eat it, even got real skinny and would take a pellet and spit it out. Finally had to get minnows for them. Not worth it. Ended up switching to Coppernose Bluegill, which are currently about a pound, pound and a half. We have the indoor tanks to set up for raising Tilapia, just haven't gotten around to ordering them.

If I were going to do tomatoes in it again I'd go with Romas. They're fairly compact and don't get as tall as the others I've grown. But they'd still need some sort of support. Without a greenhouse I'd put a section of tote cage on the bed and run some jute rope or maybe bamboo poles horizontally across to form a sort of framework for them to grow up into.

Yard Dart, Ganado and Gopherman like this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. janderson
  4. AxesAreBetter
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. natshare
  8. Ganado
  9. Ganado
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Mindgrinder