My Beloved Remington 514 .22

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by RouteClearance, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I bought this at a flea market after I redeployed back in '07. I have three 22's(a Marlin, Ruger 10/22), of all three this is my favorite. A single shot 22 that is probably responsible for putting more squirrels in the stew pot than any other 22 period. No, this does not have the lazer accuracy of any modern target 22, but it shots straight for consistent head shots on those squirrelely little rodents and minute of bottle cap to 25 yard.
    80BCE58C-3733-467B-AF70-B08E636653B3.
    8620B7FC-5A58-46F6-BC48-D88F49A11F04.

Motomom34, oldman11, GOG and 7 others like this.
  2. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

D@mn....
    That was my first "real" gun, lo these many years past. I never saw it again after I enlisted.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

I wonder what it was about going into the service, when I got out 4 years later, seems like my tools, guns, hunting stuff, had all disappeared. Could be something to do with 3 younger brothers and a sister. Saw one of my 22's at my sister's house at Christmas time 15 years later and a niece proudly brought out her mom's gun and said that it was hers now. No way I would rain on that parade.

Lancer, tacmotusn, oldman11 and 5 others like this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Bought my 514 some years ago. Great little shooter.

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@duane "I wonder what it was about going into the service, when I got out 4 years later, seems like my tools, guns, hunting stuff, had all disappeared."
    Ain't that the damn truth! Pistols, rifles, my stainless Winchester 12gauge pump, tools, even my damn knives. POOF! Gone. And, when asked, no one knows a thing about them. They just grew legs and walked away...

6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Great rifles!

The 514 that I have was handed down from my Grandfather. I have pictures of the family at the cottage with the 514 leaning in a corner. Dad would bounce soup cans easily with it at 100 yards. I shoot it occasionally now. It's still a great shooter. I've shot it so much that I've learned to rotate the rifle just slightly counter-clockwise as I pull the bolt back. This ejects the spent case straight up where I can grab it in the air and toss it forward of the bench onto the grass.

7. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Sweet rifle indeed! I got smart and started to get guns after I got out of the Navy.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Man, that brings back great memories. My Dad has one that he taught my brothers and I how to shoot with. He still has it, and it's still a fine shooter!

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Think mom gave mine away years ago?

oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Nice...real similar to my 512, except the 512 has a tubular magazine.

11. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

A 514 was my first gun, Dad put on a Williams peep sight. Wish I still had it but it went away a LONG time ago. I do have my 552 that was the first rifle that I bought way back when, before all this phony paperwork bullshit.

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have managed to collect a small group of classic Remington .22 rifles.
    My 512, 514, 521T Junior Target, 550-1 that Dad bought new the year I was born - 1957, 572, two Nylon 66s - an Apache Black and a Mohawk Brown.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Dad got an Upgrade to a 541T-HB years ago so that he could shoot while one of us was shooting the 512, that 541 is one sweet and extremely accurate rifle with a full size feel. When we got older, that became the rifle of choice for plinking and small varmint wackin! Too bad Remington is about to fall apart, they used to build some if the nicest. 22 rifles around!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Looks just like my Uncle's .22. He taught my boys how to shoot on a rifle that looks just like @RouteClearance's. It is a great gun

oldman11 likes this.
  1. natshare
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Brokor
  5. Brokor
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Oltymer
  9. AD1
  10. Lekdro
  11. Motomom34