My Bread Journey - Sourdough and Others

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

LOL @HK_User .... probably won't have a crispy crust when it reaches you... LOL....

Thanks for the comment... old fart bears in hot humid Hawaii need all the encouragement they can get from the Texas cheering section...

Have a great weekend!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

2. Bear

I love fresh honey direct from the hive @Dont .... you bring the honey... I'll bring the bread LOL....

Have a great weekend!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Ganado and Brokor like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Well done... experiment accomplished!

Bear likes this.
  4. Bear

Aloha Gang....

Sorry this took a while... here is the second bread out of the dutch oven with the coals...

Dang it... ran out of coals and the bread was not done... never follow the recipe... nah... I take that back.... ;)
    Good lesson... should have gone with my instinct and put enough coals on for 500 degrees instead of 400...

Oh well... here's the result... crust not as crispy... but Grandma liked it better ... easier on her teeth... the first one was too hard for her... so I guess I did learn something... #1 about Grandma... and #2 about how to make bread with a thinner softer crust...

Still rose well with lots of holes... and still chewy inside with lots of flavor...

This is good stuff indeed....

Gonna master this charcoal dutch oven thing... more coals and or a smaller dutch oven with legs....

Thanks for following along... this loaf went to my Uncle down the street who loves sourdough bread.... a few slices off it to make sure it was cooked through and edible... but still warm when it was delivered....

Learned another thing.... Baking Bread is all about SHARING ;)

On that note... got a question and a request for you @Ganado ... would you mind sharing your procedures for capturing wild yeast... be kind of specific... cause this old bear is kinda slow with new things... LOL...
    I want to see if I can catch and grow some in from my shop/forge... LOL... Bear Forge Sourdough... who would have thought?

Have a great weekend all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF8854.JPG

DSCF8855.JPG

DSCF8856.JPG

Motomom34, Hanzo, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

2 1/2 cups water
    2 cups flour
    1 or 2 Tbsp sugar (or 4 to 6 Tbsp honey)
    1 packet bread yeast

Let sit in large container covered with cloth for up to 10 days at room temperature. Always leave 1 cup of starter after you make your batch, and simply add flour, water and sugar to restart. Allow to sit a full day or two before returning to the refrigerator, and when ready to use, take out the night before, and restart it. There are some bakeries which have kept the same sourdough starter for generations. I like to use honey or raw sugar, personally. I also like to set my container in hot water to make it warm for the yeast when I initially start and after taking from the fridge. Kind of like a nice, warm welcome. But, I do live up in the north.

Great experiment, Bear! Your bread came out much better than some of mine in the past! I would definitely add more coals to the dutch oven, and build a bit of a wind-break around it despite the ambient temperature, to keep the heat as constant as possible.

Bear, Motomom34, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Video link please? "Brokor vrs The Bear - BBQ Bread Making 101"
    You've been vid slacking for like a year...
    Hoser.

MG

Bear, Ganado, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Making a wild yeast and Managing a wild yeast are two different things with similar steps. Mostly in this post we are talking about experimenting with finding a 'wild yeast' sourdough flavor that you like. Its much easier to use a commercially established yeast like @Bear did.

There is a great basic recipe here in the resource section page 25.
    Cooking & Food - Anglo Saxon Recipes | Survival Forums

When I was experimenting with different 'wild yeast' flavors I used less flour to start, just in case the experiment went bad.

WARNING: some of you will be grossed out by some of the things I will say below but remember we are experimenting with wild yeast and yeast is on everything, including your skin.

BASIC EXPERIMENTING RECIPE
    • 1/4 cup flour with 3 tablespoons of filtered water
    • whisk 'til smooth pour into non metal jar and let sit for 12 hours, then
    • add 1/2 cup flour and 1/3 cup filtered water, repeat every 12 hours (or you can do morning and night) until your starter is brisk and bubbling
    INGREDIENTS
    • water must be unchlorinated, the chlorine kills the yeast
    • flour - this is a personal choice, you can use whole wheat or any whole grain flour, I use unbleached flour, not whole grain on the starter. (see notes below)
    Beat the flour and water together till smooth. When you are beating it you are aerating the mix which is key. So every time you add flour and water to feed the yeast, whisk it until smooth.

NOTES ON INGREDIENTS:
    After much experimenting, I found that using unbleached flour gave the most consistent flavor for the sour dough. For me the whole grains in the starter gave an 'off' taste after a few days. So if you want a whole grain bread use whole grain flour when you make bread but don't use in the starter, this includes rye or sprouted wheat.

Occasionally you get an alcohol smelling brown liquid on the top of the starter, just pour this part off and continue to follow the steps for feeding the starter. (this liquid typically indicates that your starter had too much liquid at the last feeding)

MAINTENANCE:
    After about a week, your sourdough should be strong enough to store in the refrigerator.

The 'wild yeast fermenting process' can take up to 10 days if your house is cool (think winter temps in your home = cool) if your temperature is above 70 F then 7 days should be enough. You are looking for strong bubbly mix with that yeasty smelling yummy goodness.

Store Sourdough in refrigerator if you bake only once a week. When you get ready to use it, bring your starter out of the refrigerator at least 12 hours before to bring to room temperature. After removing half the mix to use in baking, then refeed your starter refeed before putting back in the refrigerator.

NOTES ON EQUIPMENT
    All equipment should be non-metal, wood for mixing (and you can use a metal dough whisk I like this one Danish Dough Whisk) For the sourdough container you must use glass or ceramic containers. I use a quart wide mouth canning jar, with cheese cloth cover,

JARs - your jars should be only half full each time you feed the yeast so that you can accommodate the expansion of the sourdough. (this is true for wild yeast and established yeast.)

MISC NOTES:
    This is the gross experimental part.

Yeast is everywhere, on your hands, on bugs, in the air. So try different locations and see what flavors you get. (as long as you can keep the mixture warm and covered with a breathable cloth you will be fine).

I have used different locations, laundry room, back porch, stove top, living room, and in between my house plants.

One of the best sourdough starters I ever had was an accident. I only had large weave cheese cloth to cover it so I put on several layers and at the same time I had gnats from some fruit. Several gnats found their way into the mix. After I picked out the gnats a day or so later, I made some bread delicious! I am assuming the yeast from the fruit was what made the difference. So if you want to do the 'Ganado Bug' method then use a course or large weave cheese cloth and let a few bugs into your mix!

For those of you who now have queezy stomachs. ALL FOOD has bugs in it. Its so common the FDA has guidelines called 'FOOD DEFECT ACTION LEVELS' if you click on the link you can read the guidelines. Chocolate and cocoa are allowed the most bug parts per million.

Yeast is a good thing, your body has yeast, uses yeast for digestion and protection. Using your nose and your taste buds to determine what agrees with you is a beautiful form of experimentation. If it smells bad it probably is bad for you.

Finally, with yeast and bugs, when you cook it, you kill it.

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

NOTES ON SOURDOUGH MAINTENANCE:
    After I find a wild yeast flavor I like, I change the 'feeding' up a bit. This is all personal preference.

I like a thicker starter, I'm lazy and don't like to have to add as much flour when I bake, so I let my starter run a bit thicker by feeding 1/4 cup water and at least 1/4 flour (plus a bit more to make it thicker for bread and english muffins) when I feed it.

Your starter is a living breathing organism so its natural to see it rise and fall. You will know this by the sides of your jar, will have lines on it sometimes.

If you have been refrigerating your starter, put it on the counter, feed it and let it set 12-24 hours before you bake so that the yeast is going strong. Otherwise you will have flat bread with no yeast action.

ON BAKING DAY
    pour 1 cup of your starter into a clean new glass jar and put it back in the refrigerator for next time.

If your starter is like mine you usually get 3 to 4 cups of starter. You can get more if you feed it more flour and water. Whatever amount you have, after you reserve one cup for the future. Then whatever is left use one cup for each recipe.

When I bake I make 2-4 things at once. So if I have 2 cups left (after I put one cup in the refrigerator) then I use one cup of starter for each recipe. One cup for bread and one for cake. or whatever you are making.

This is where you add whole grain flour to your baking. I find half whole grain and half unbleached flour to be a good mixture. The more whole grain you use the heavier the bread will be. I like light and fluffy unless its winter and we are having stew or chili and beans. Then I like a heavier, crusty bread. Whatever your personal preference enjoy!

Cooking is basically a big chemistry experiment! Its fun and delicious with occasional disastrous mixed in.

EDIT: I added this part for @Bear

CLEAN UP
    Kneading the dough on wax paper or one of these makes cleanup easier. Below is the amazon link but a dollar store will have them as well.
    Amazon.com: CounterArt Flexible Cutting Mat with Food Icons, Set of 4: Cutting Boards: Kitchen & Dining

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Bear, Motomom34, Yard Dart and 4 others like this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Aloha Bear,

At the end of a day of SCOUT adventures, we (Scout Leaders) provided a special treat to the scout Troop.
    The Scouts prepared their meals as did the Leaders, so our treat to them was always a surprise to the new scouts.
    We did a Peach Cobbler in a dutch oven over a wood fire/coals.
    We started with a typical cobbler and did not preheat the Oven.
    Near the end, just before they finished their meal we removed the Dutch Oven, placed it near the coals but out of that source of heat,totally covered the top with burning embers and waited about ten minutes.
    If timed correctly we would open the top to see a delicious roasted brown dome of fresh pastry and a finished bottom with a firm but not stuck base with a liquid goo of Peaches.

Gotta love Dutch Oven Cooking.

Thanks for rekindling that memory.

HK

Bear, Hanzo, kellory and 3 others like this.
  10. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Wonderful tale, Bear.....and well told. I've tried the technique of using fresh whole wheat flour/water/sugar to make my own starter down here in SENM. It worked pretty well. The bread came out about like the one you did in the oven. Tasty. Unfortunately, when I put the starter in the fridge to slow it down, it died. Same thing happens when I put pizza dough in to let it slow rise over 3 days. Drat!

Your story reminded me of my attempts to make yogurt. Success the first time using plain store-bought yogurt as a starter, but much better with a starter I bought online. Trial and error. Learn from errors! LOL!

Thanks for sharing. :)

Kajun

11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Mum did it the same way for the church potlucks.:)

Just remember to add time for the rise (I let it rise a 2nd time) and to add time for the baking at your altitude:)

Excellent Post @Bear! Enjoyed it a lot. Made me think back on my Mum's baking[drooling]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
    Bear, Motomom34, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  12. Brokor

Also important, I think Ganado mentioned it already, but you might want to pour off the "hooch" after a couple days and add water as needed when you feed the starter. If it goes too long, the alcohol content will be detrimental for yeast growth. I never tried it long term to see if I should keep the "hooch", because it's pretty much nasty. Maybe somebody else can chime in here. I do keep it going for two days, though. The odor is kind of nice to my olfactory. I believe after about 4 or 5 days, you will have a sexy sourdough starter.

Bear, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  13. HK_User

Winter I can keep it going on the kitchen counter for months, summer I keep it covered in the Fridge. Went for a whole year one time, till I had to go on a trip and I put it out the door.

Started my bread making trip after a serious injury, neighbors almost got tired of fresh bread.
    The need to use the starter and bake bread gave me something to do each day.
    Man's gotta have a purpose, it's the nature of the beast.

Sapper John, Bear, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  14. Brokor

DSC00013.JPG
    My sourdough molasses marbled bread is ready!

Bear, Yard Dart, Hanzo and 5 others like this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

How did you get it to marble like that? I work my molasses in when kneading the dough.

@Bear please keep us posted when you do another batch in the dutch oven at the hotter temp.

Bear, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  16. Brokor

The very last thing I do is add the molasses and lightly knead a couple times, but I add the molasses with one hand, and with a flour-dusted offhand, I knead. It's quick and sometimes a little messy, but I attribute much of my "success", if you can call it such, to my outstanding artistic nature and prolific sense of style and depth. :D

(a stainless steel bowl also helps)

oldawg, Bear, Hanzo and 4 others like this.
  17. HK_User

And apparently your Ego is alive and well too.

Bear, Hanzo and Tully Mars like this.
  18. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

The ID is highly overrated.

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  19. Brokor

Both my parents died this year, and I am still battling the loss of my brother who died 30 years ago when we were very young. I own an old truck, a computer I pieced together on budget, a bunch of military clothes and a few guns. I am thankful I have zero debt and maintain employment at a simple job which pays the bills. I have no career, no goals in life, no wife or kids, nothing to lose and nothing to cherish, either. My life is ordinary and most of the time I contemplate my existence through meditation. I am nobody special, just a simple man and a humble visitor to this plane of existence. If any of you have mistaken my humor and wit for ego, take another guess.

I will assume this was a poke in jest, and laugh as I always do. :)

oldawg, Bear, Yard Dart and 8 others like this.
  20. Bear

Wow... great posts everyone...

Here's the last loaf I baked... actually two of them ... upped the temperature to 450....

One went hot and crisp to my Uncle and Aunt down the street and the other we devoured....

A bit of flour inside from my over zealous use of flour in a bandana to roll the edges ;) I'll do better next time... still tasted great! (Bears eat anything with lots of butter on it!)

Used my smaller dutch ovens... one Lodge and the other a Wagner...

Came out great!

Still need to redo the camp dutch oven with the coals... feeding the critters tonight out of the fridge... left them in there for a week to see how they do... ugly brownish black hooch on top... poured it out and fed them... if it rises... I'll make the dough tonight and to the charcoal thing tomorrow....

Gonna also look for a smaller camp dutch oven... a 2qt or #8 depending on how you size them....

wish me luck on the charcoal thing!

Also gonna make a ring for the top of my none camp dutch ovens to hold the coals and a stand to keep it up off the coals on the bottom... should be easy to make accessories out of mild steel rather than buy the store bought stuff... ;)

Maybe a lid lifter, trivet and top holder too .... lol....

Hope everyone had a great long weekend!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF8858.JPG

DSCF8856.JPG

DSCF8859.JPG

DSCF8857.JPG

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7