My Bread Journey - Sourdough and Others

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Aug 29, 2015.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

You'd be correct for the ego is part of "a conscious thinking person".

Bear likes this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

[sarc2] <---You forgot something.

Bear likes this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I'm sure no expert but I think [sarc2] might come from the ID for it is the rowdy part of us.

Bear likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Bear, I hope you include pictures when you are done. Will be interesting to see what you make.

Bear likes this.
  5. Brokor

Psychology is Rockefeller B.S.

But this has nothing to do with bread.

Bear and Motomom34 like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Them shrinks make lots of bread, man. Don't you worry about that.[stoner]

Bear and Brokor like this.
  7. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Aloha Monkeys,

Made some sourdough again today with my starter that's been in the fridge over a week...

That sewage black liquid on top ... I am assuming is "hooch"... yuck... poured it all off and fed the starter... no problems... more than doubled in size.... SUCCESS!

Then came FAIL!

Made two loaves... one obviously rose and came out beautifully....
    My Uncle walked over to pick up the nice one when it was still warm.. Hope it came out ok... best looking one so far...

saved the reject for me...

Obviously something went wrong... knew that on the second rise... when it didn't quite rise like the other...

Oh well... Flat Sourdough... it was still a great crispy crust and a wonderful taste....

Gonna fool around with this recipe... too wet IMHO... but what does a newbie Bear bread maker know...

next one... I add more starter and four and a bit less water... we'll see how it goes....

this was baked in the oven... wanted one constant as I take this "Bread Journey".... gonna master this before I head off to the next life ;)

Great thread... want to try the NY Times recipe next.... not sourdough but sure looks easy....

Have a great week all...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF8996.JPG

DSCF8991.JPG

DSCF8992.JPG

DSCF8993.JPG

DSCF8994.JPG

Tully Mars, Motomom34, Brokor and 3 others like this.
  8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

One good thing about bread making......you can usually still eat your mistakes! :p

Still lookin' good, Bear!

Kajun

Tully Mars, Motomom34, Bear and 2 others like this.
  9. Brokor

@Bear Keep your starter out of the fridge if you are going to bake within a week. Every day, add a Tbsp. sugar, two Tbsp. flour, no water needed. Give it a good stir. I've had mine out of the fridge for 9 days now, going to make more bread this week. You get a great rise if you feed it a few hours before and keep it warm, then when you add it to your bread mix (which has sugar in it I hope) and knead it, after it sits in the warmth and rises, bake it and you should get a fantastic bread!

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Is that black sludge normal? I have never seen that on a starter.

Bear likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Great bread dough is about the texture of a baby's bottom. If it's too 'runny' just kneed more flour into it. @Bear hope you don't mind the tips for making bread.

Bear likes this.
  12. Brokor

I like your tips, any tips! But this one has me baffled...

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HECK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!
    (single guy, and I do not go around changing diapers)

Ganado and Bear like this.
  13. Bear

LOL... @TXKajun ... yup I am... and it's delicious (good thing bears eat anything ;) )

14. Bear

Thanks for the tips @Brokor
    Thought you were supposed to do that to slow them down...
    I'm just feeding my whole wheat flour... no sugar... hmmmm... gotta give that a try...
    I do take it out a few hours before to feed... usually doubles or more in size...

Nope... simple recipe...
    3 cups four
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 5/8 cups warm water
    1/2 cup starter

Added more starter and flour to the latest one and upped the temp to 475....

It's a no knead recipe... mix it all up till its all incorporated and cover and wait 12 hours... then take it out... fold it over a few times and let it sit for 2 more hours... then into a preheated dutch oven...

Bears like simple... kneading is not simple... I don't like kneading... its too needy ;)

But hey... always open to tips and suggestions

Thanks again,

TCAGB,

Bear

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  15. Bear

LOL @Motomom34 who knows... I'm just feeling my way along on this "Bread Journey"... typical guy... rather not read instructions if it seems simple enough.... get it about right... memorize the steps ... and move on....

Black sludge on top... ooh... that's not good... pour it off and keep going... LOL....

at least one loaf came out ok... one out of two ain't bad... and it's edible... us single bears... aren't too picky about what we eat... just ask @Hanzo about me ;)

TCAGB,

Bear

Hanzo likes this.
  16. Bear

LOLOLOLOLOLOL @Ganado I am never ever going to be able to look at bread dough again without thinking about a baby's bottom! and I have changed my share of explosive ripe diapers... so you have now given me reason to laugh every time I make bread... THANKS!

Oh and keep the tips coming everyone... they are indeed helpful....

TCAGB,

Bear

Ganado, Hanzo and Brokor like this.
  17. Bear

LOL @Brokor let me help you out here...

Ahem.... a Baby's bottom (a clean one with some baby powder on it) is ... ohhh... I'd say... is .... Ummmmmm.... about the same as a Woman's bottom... maybe just a tad... just a tad mind you... smoother, softer, sweeter and smaller... just remember the four "S"s when you think about it....

(That's my opinion ... others may differ... but that's what I think... and I'm sticking with it !)

Hope that helps... LOL ;)
    TCAGB,

Bear

Yard Dart, oldawg, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  18. Brokor

Well, cute women's bottoms are my speciality! But, I tend to favor the ones you can bounce a silver dollar off and catch it mid-air. Therefore, I can only assume the dough should be a little bit softer than my Megan Fox dough, which is somewhat firm and for some strange reason, lightly powdered. I take it baby oil would be a bad choice in this instance...

:whistle:

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Coconut oil is yummy... on the bummy? Olive oil and butter go great on bread.

Bear likes this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

traditional sour dough doesn't use sugar. However, if you want to speed up the bubbling action you can add honey, sugar, maple syrup, molasses in small amounts. The yeast feeds off the sugar better and faster, therefore more bubbles.

The bubbles is what gives your bread 'rise' its why you let the bread rise in the pan for a couple of hours before you cook it. that's how you get a nice fluffy dough full of holes.

@Bear kneading is like folding iron for a blacksmith. (trying to think of forging terms here) you just keep folding in flour until the texture is 'bottom style' (loved the explanation you gave!) when I'm frustrated I just go make bread because you can pound the heck out of it for 10 min and put it in the pan and walk away feeling productive and relaxed.

Use wax paper or a large plastic cutting mat to knead the dough on so clean up is easy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Brokor and Bear like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7