My BugOut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TailorMadeHell, Dec 27, 2006.

1. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Okay, here's some questions concerning my bug-out. I am here in CA. My family is in AL. That is, according to mapsonus.com, 2384.5 miles.

According to their driving directions, it would take me about 35h2m to get home. That I take it means by car. So when they make a map like that, are they taking in consideration that it is 70mph or a variable speed limit? Anyone know?

I am trying to figure out how long it would take me to get home. I know it could very well be months though I am trying to work it down to a ballpark figure as I was never good in puzzle math.

And do you think the best bet would be to take a direct shot, ie shortest distance between two points or stick to their idea of a drivers route?

I am trying to include this into my BOP (Bug Out Plan). I will also need to get quite a few maps of different states and boy this is all going to be a joy. Haha.

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well a quick division of the numbers provided says that they are figureing it at a flat 70 mph the whole way and not even counting for gas stops or anything else.

As far as picking a route, I would kind of split the difference. The routes that the map quest stuff generaly sugest often take a lot longer distances than needed in order to stay to the bigest hiways possible which I figure would likely not be the best idea in a widespread SHTF situation. On the other hand takeing the field road across some guys pasture or even the back dirt roads and such just to stay as perfectly straight would probably not be great either.

In my own opinoin I would also tend to be inclined to come up with some kind of plan that didnt involve such a long trip if it was a situation that was on a wide spread scale. Travel in a post SHTF world would likely be VERY hazardous so the less distance traveled the better off you would be likely to be. Luckily things being brought to a full shut down beyond a fairly local area is the least likely senario. So some other ideas that you might consider would be to find out about things like getting out of your city and to someplace say 100 miles away or some such where you could catch a bus or train the rest of the way. While it would be far from ideal and a bit more dificult to gain info on, as well as haveing its own hazards includeing being illegal, would be to research freight train routes and how you might be able to 'hop a freight' back to your destination. This would be very dangerous even now as well as opening you up to problems with the law but it has been done for a very long time.

Just my thoughts at a glance.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

How about a pilots license, Or team up with a pilot and a simple piper cub with lots of gas cans 2,000miles is a lot of unkowns to (drive) work through...especially that close to the southern border...figure if every little town barricades itself, that's alot confrontations toavoid or win .2,000miles is a sizeable trip in normal times. I don't think I'd advise it ;but I understand family.
    IFR ( Ifly roads.)and to hell with whats left of the faa, land on hiways quick refuel/oil..just a thought..

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Not to sound pessimistic here (it does though), I think in a National SHTF scenario, 2000 plus miles is just out of the question. If the scenario was just a statewide or regional thing, ok, as soon as you get out of Kahleefornia you'd be alright....... and I certainly think that a west coast based regional disaster is within the realm of possibility.

I think maybe your BO plans should probably focus on several possible routes out of the state/region (keep flexible). And then worry about getting to Alabama. Of course you may already have been thinking that as well.

5. TailorMadeHell

I have been thinking of a big scenario. I also have been thinking that there is miles and miles of empty desert between here and there. I would hate to be stuck and die in the desert. I am thinking of trying to avoid mountains and desert as much as I can. I am thinking to shoot northward a ways then angle back down. I see the dangers in hanging out towards the big cities, though I also see the problems with crossing fields and stuff all the time.

I have a long road ahead of me in any SHTF case and I definitely will stay away from certain areas as much as I can. I am just going to make me a list of stuff to take and head out at such time placing my faith where it will do me the most good. I may make it and I may get sidetracked. I do like the plane idea though I don't have the money for a course.

I think on foot would get me there just as good, though I do see that it would be time constraints as in food running out. I will fish and hunt my way there and hope the ammo holds. Haha.

Never can tell though, my home may be a target of opportunity. I can't tell until I see what happens. In the end, I may not have anything to go home to. Haha. Hope not, though it's in the realm of possibilities.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now you see, if you didn't already, all the possible problems that may arise among all of us that think being prepared is a pretty good idea. Each and every one of us has a different perspective on what has to be done. That's why we are here, to swap ideas and thoughts. If nothing else, a lot of us will see the light go on, something we forgot to consider. I like that exchange, I like it a lot, largely that is why I'm here. Keeps me thinking of alternates, and may ultimately help me decide where to hang my hat and reorganize for bug in instead of bug out like I have to do now.[pop]

BTW, mapquest uses the speed limits on the selected route. In the old days, when I was transporting kids and the ex all over the country, I plotted my own routes and generally planned on an overall speed of 45 mph from hit the road to destination, potty stops included. Worked well at the time, but circumstances have changed, and I now use an average of 55 including stops for fuel and food, regardless of the route taken. I have a friend that consistently beats the mapquest predictions, but then again, speed limits mean little to that one.[dunno]

7. TailorMadeHell

Yes, I'm going to have to look into some things. I have to figure how far a healthy person can or should walk in a day. I'll plot the course headed to waterways, crop fields and such. It will be rough, there is no doubt, though I think it will in the end be a grand adventure I can write a journal about. Haha.

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

If you're gonna go: I think your only real chance is to Get outta dodge early. before panic and real unrest set in and people start barricading towns and shooting/looting strangers for supplies...a dual purpose bike might get you farther than a 4 wheeled vehicle.except you'll still be looking for fuel every 200mi or so...45-50mpg/4-5gals tank they make plastic 5 and even 7 gallon tanks I think the lkaswasaki klr 650 has 6 or 7 gallons stock and makes a superb long distance adventure bike.

9. TailorMadeHell

I'd have to hang out at the dealership and hope I could take lessons on riding one as I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to two-wheeled motorized movement. If it's got four, I can drive it. If it's got two, it had better be a bicycle. Haha.

10. monkeyman

While it would still be a hit to the wallet a far LIGHTER hit to the wallet allowing one to go OVER most of the trouble would be an ultralight. They are basicly hang gliders with a lawn mower motor hooked to a propeller. From what I understand they can be had if you watch for around $1K and you dont have to have a pilots lisence to fly them even now. Another perk in my mind is the idea that it is basicly a hang glider, so if the engine dies you glide rather than splattering like some planes and with that small of a motor it goes easier on the fuel. They also dont need as much for a landing strip.

11. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

You might also learn to ride a horse. You could make your own light-weight saddle, or purchase a used one for 100-200.00. Keep your eye out for a lineback dun of around 14hh. Those mustangs have iron feet and can get by on weeds indefinitely. Or you could walk at night.

You need to fully scope out the terrain before you traverse it. Get some 7X35 binoculars. Count on no more than 10 miles a day, and that may be optimistic.

jim

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Problem with the bike or ultralight is setting out for a 3month 2000 mi camping trip. takes some gear, in a pickup you could load it up. People have gone around the world on 2 big aluminum saddlebags, but thats alittle diferent than "damnation alley"...Horse is interesting, bicycle also eliminates fuel...

13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

If you're serious about walking you can read up on the appalachian trail or pacific crest trail hikers, many folks (grandmothers) have done the 2200 milesof the AT. Emma "grandma" gatewood has done it several times wearing keds, sleeping under a plastic shower curtain, and carrying "needs" in a gunnysack!!Healthy GI with civilian storebought ultralight gear shoiuld be a walk in the park. except you're a fire team of one...

Okay... strap yourself in, we are going to kick the box down the street...

Get a 23ft catalina sailboat, head down the coast, through the panama canal or have it hauled overland with cheap labor, sail along the gulf north to bammyy...I know the canal may not be "functional;" we are just brainstorming here...but it may generate other ideas..

14. TailorMadeHell

I'll have to keep my eye on the boat thing. That sounds easier to me than flying. Riding a horse is also a good idea and I can ride. The bike, unless it has a motor on it, will be a long trip though it is better than outright walking in some ways. I am still up in the air about a lot of things though I am formulating a plan. Maybe a sailboat and go around the coast while keeping it in sight will allow me not to get lost. After all, sailing is just a fancy way of saying you are floating. Haha.

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Look to your local tech colleges or dealerships for the Motorcycle safety foundation(MSF) "basic motorcycle riders course( MRC) they take you from pushing it to basically qualified in 3day of classroom and , 2days of range work. In Wi the completion card passes for the state riders hands on steet test for licensing. It's chalenging even experienced riders learn something. It's all done 1st or 2nd gear, and focuses on smooth technique not slop riding covered by speed. You won't have any off- road experience but thats just a process of weekend fun. I've got quite afew years riding let me know if you have any questions about bikes.

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Some where I saw a story of an adventurer who used a kayak with an outrigger and a sail to cover major distances from alaska to the lower 48."They" make light 2wheeled under carriages for canoes and kayaks, you could run down the coast, attach yourwheels to your kayak,tie your canoe gear down and drag it across the few miles that are panama...( after going through a midnight customs entry of course)..passport and Visa please(?).

17. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

We've totally discounted driving here,

You know you could use the "airborne alert" "orbit point" like sac did inthe 50's with the nuclear bomber force, if things start to get dicey, take off on a friday night and drive 1/2way, hang outta' day or so, drive homefor mondaya.m.On the wild chance something were to happens on your schedule you're half way there, You could check your route, rent a you-store in bumf*k Nevada or colo. build a cache of food/fuel weapon/ammuntition....Just a time intensive idea
    ideas are cheap , I've got a million on special...

18. monkeyman

If driveing a car or pickup is an option or flying comercial, takeing a passenger train or some other such method then by all means it would be greatly preferable but Im assumeing that it was based on a senario where vehicles either no longer ran or the city was locked down or some such where the above were not an option.

As far as how much ger would be going along, I figure that just kind of depends on the knowledge base of the person and how primitively they are willing to live along the way. The average sheeple with no experience in the woods would have a hard time getting by for a couple of months without stores and such with what they could stuff in a U-haul, on the other hand a person who has done a lot ofprimitive camping and hunting and learned enouph in the primitive skills used by our ancestors could set out with a less than half filled back pack and do quite well. So a big part of it is just going to be dependent on what knowledge (and the ability to apply it) that a person has when its needed.

19. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

hUNTING/fishing/gathering is fine if you know the area and have suitable shelter in one locationfor cooking /jerking etc... . Your mission (should you choose to accept it ) is to cover alot of ground and get somewhere, not go fishin..., You won't be planting radishes...

20. monkeyman

It would not be an ideal situation but our ancestors were gatherers as well as hunters. If you know enouph about plants, and I am somewhat lacking, then there are TONS of edible plants all over the place that most would starve to death in a field full of, so if you know the plants you can pick them up as you pass along your way for the next meal. Then there is the oprotunistic hunting of any critters that happen across your path as you move and also traps. You couldnt use a huge trap line while moveing but if you have the knowledge and as a perk maybe some light compact trapping gear like snares, then you could easily enouph take an hour or so when setteling into a camp site for the night and set up a couple dozen traps. More than likely at least 1 or 2 of them will catch something if in decent locations and that can suplement the stuff gathered.

Im by no means saying it would be an easy or comfortable way to go about it but many many folks have lived this way in the past, especialy when traveling, you just have to learn before you have to use it how they did it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7