My BugOut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TailorMadeHell, Dec 27, 2006.

1. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

sheesh

[gone] Horse back? PM me, not so simple, stock gotta eat. Bicycle, how much gear? Oh, a trailer[banghead] Ultralite? How about a hang glider with a lawn mower/prop on it? Walk w/o resupply, tan hides for shoes and hunt/trap/gather? Caches en route? People to help ya? ON YOUR OWN???? Need a group, one cannot survive on one's own. Forget the novels, the fiction, post shtf only a group will survive. [soap] OK I did post that I can get home 900-1200 miles but I have resupply caches and people on the way, I also practice practice PRACTICE my skills in many different climates and areas. This is what I do for 'fun'. Fuel, food, H2O, Durable goods, ammo, night watch, injuries. Basicly forget it unless you prepare massively in advance. INMnotsoHO snowbyrd

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Nothing wrong with brainstorming , two bad ideas can combine to tcreate a workable solutionor trigger a third... .We've already told tailor2,000mi seemed pretty much undoable depending entirely on scenario and time.

3. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

not

not undoable just would take a lot of preps. Supply points every...OH... 50 miles. Bury some 5 gal plastic buckets with what ever you need. Water would be a prob, I have personaly buryed alot of H2O along I10 I15, ect. I have traveled alot in the last uh, many yrs. The key is PREPaRATION. Stableize some gas and cache it, I don't know the $ that others have but maybe a storage unit here and there. [soap] snowbyrd

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I think you need to weigh the risk vs benefit on this plan.
    A 2500+ mile journey like the AT takes from 4 to 6 months and that is usually with a support team that is mailing supplies to you as you go.

I think that taking this trip, through desert and possibly-probably hostile towns has a great potential for failure. What, other than your family is in AL? The chance that they are alive and doing great during this time is questionable too.

I'd plan on hunkering down until the masses kill themselves off and then beat feet to a closer spot where you have a few supplies pre-positioned and a few faces (or names) to hang with.

I picked up a motorcycle in LA one AUgust and drove it to Michigan. If you have to go in August, you'll catch the humor in towns named Baker etc... By the time I got into Utah, I was one large scab and was breathing through a sock soaked in water. I think I'd have a better chance surviving an avalanche than being stuck in that heat without water.

As far as getting out ahead of the crowd and before panic and chaos set in? You'll make about 100 flase starts. To truly be ahead of the game means that you are leaving before anyone else considers that things are bad. Try to time that.

All in all, BI has better Vegas odds than BO IMHO. If you are concerned about this now, find a way to move back while you can catch a bus.

my .02

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I do agree with the last couple of postsand if I didnt make it clear earlier, my sugestions were simply based on an assumption that IF someone was going to try it that they might be better options than just grabbing a pack and heading out on foot.

The only way I could see it haveing any decent likely hood of a 'happy ending' would be maybe if it were a regional problem where the distance to a 'normal' situation would be MUCH shorter, like say just to get out of Cali.

6. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I'm working on that right now. I am working to go back home. I do not see that this would be a great place to hold in place as I'm sure it will be every liberal for itself. I'd hate to be caught out in the open after a SHTF situation with so much as a rice cake. And in certain scenarios SF gets it, so that's not encouraging. I am just hanging in until such time as it is feasible to move out. I am preparing as I can. I have enough food now to handle me for two weeks and water is obtainable.

I am going to get me a BOB ready just in case I have to hoof it to some other place. I will be heading north in any emergency event as I do not want to even think of trying to get through Oakland if everything goes to pot. I am thinking maybe I can get a 'pocket bike' with a small trailer and that will do for transportation. I could look into turning it into a solar powered contraption that will do as long as the sun shines.

I am working on a map for my route and I am avoiding the desert as much as I can. Though from here it is either desert or mountains. And I only have family in AL. I don't have a home or anything else there. Here, all I have is my small room and no family. As far as family goes, you guys and gals are as close to family as I have.

I don't want to picture it, though I can foresee that I would make the long trip only to find my family as a pile of dust in a smoking crater. They live just outside of Mobile AL which is also a 'suggested' target as it's a port city.

I guess in the end, all I can do is prepare for the bad, hope for the best and live day to day. I don't have a homestead and currently my skills don't allow for much bartering to feed myself. The idea of being a lone traveller on a dangerous road doesn't appeal much to me though it would be all that I have.

If I got home and found it a smoking hole, I would still have to come up with a plan on what to do. I am hoping it holds together until such time as I can set up a home for myself though I am not holding my breath. It's a crazy scenario to think of though I do think of it daily. The big 'what if'.

It will come to me and I will just keep myself open to what I am steered to do. It's all I can do.

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah out there the rice cake would definatly get you mobbed, maybe if you have a big chunk of meat though they will just shun you because it isnt granola. lol

8. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Clip lambchops to my lapel and they may leave me be. Haha. I can do my best 'Ooooh, beware the lambchop' voice while easing out of town. Haha.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7