My container gardens a month later :)

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by ditch witch, Jun 23, 2012.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Had a little growth in the past month.

I found that tomatillos have insane root systems that filled their containers completely in the first month. Now it's hard to keep their moisture right. They also want to sprawl and root as they go, like a pumpkin would. They're producing a lot, but they're not really happy.

The tote peppers hated the water supply. They need to dry out more than the totes were letting them, so I pulled the tote out of the water and just set it to the side and they recovered quickly. You can't see, but there are peppers all down inside there. The tomatoes love the totes. They're covering up in tomatoes. That pic of the cluster tomatoes, those are Romas. It's got so many it looks like a cherry tomato plant.

The cucumbers in the mop bucket are finally starting to produce well. I didn't take a pic of them.

The mixed tub, however, has been the hands down winner. Everything in it is going nuts, although I think my seal on the bottom drain has sprung a leak because it's draining faster than I think the plants are demanding. The tater tub was doing great until either a chicken or a cat got into it and busted up a bunch of the plants. It's coming back now but looks sad. The dill around it looks pretty good though!
    mixedtub1. mixedtub2. tubanaheims1. tubanaheims2. tubecanteloupe. tubjalapenos. matertote1. matertote2. peppertote. tatertub.

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

what a tease ......

LOL .... spicy peppers, and nice melons. What a delectable combination.[fnny]

Rocky Road Lerp and Ganado like this.
  3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I plan on having nothing but container plants...
    I have over 200 tottes that have a fine screen bottom ( works for drainage) and using halved 55 gal poly drums for the big stuff. potatoes will go into a full sized poly drum with only the lid removed...Soil on my land is so acidic, it's only good for peppers. Have to figure out a way to irrigate them....All water is hauled and any loss is not something I need. great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

4. ditch witch

Our biggest problem is the stinking bermuda. You wouldn't think so, given most of our back yard looks like a dirt plot. However, once you start to irrigate, the bermuda takes over and I have better things to do with my day than spend 8 hours crawling around in the dirt yanking out bermuda runners. I've put so much time trying to keep it out of the grape beds, to no avail. I have a few raised beds that have weed mat on the bottom, and it's just shot right through it and come out at the top of the bed. I'm about to just smother it all with cardboard there as well. With the totes and buckets and tubs, however, the grass isn't a problem.

Ganado likes this.
  5. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

Looking good.

6. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

fantastic, we are waiting for a whole lot more heat ( which is finally here) to ripen out maters
    potatoes are done, need to be harvested, garlic looks really good, have some rather big pumpkins growing and my peppers are just starting....bring the heat

your setup is nice, I have no containers, but think that may be the way to go next year, your yield is awesome!!

Ganado likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@ditch witch I dug this out. every year you just get better and better at gardening. [winkthumb] The pics from this thread compared to this year are amazing!

How's your Bermuda grass now?:lol:

pearlselby and Gopherman like this.
  8. ditch witch

It's all the rain we had. If I lived where we had regular rainfall I could really tear it up.

I sicc'ed the rabbits on the Bermuda. Used a movable pen this summer, let them take it to the dirt and down where the grass was the worst. Guinea pigs on the grapevine rows. Between the two, the grass got beat into submission, but it's certainly not gone. I hate that stuff but eradication isn't an option short of napalming the place. I have a neighbor who stores round bales just behind our back yard fence, so I suspect the grass that looks like Tifton really IS Tifton. I could have baled that crap. Then there's the wiregrass which is the devil's handmaiden.

pearlselby, Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

You obviously have sunshine where you live....

Nice garden, BTW! :)

Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  10. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Like the reuse of the bathtub!

pearlselby and Ganado like this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No pics but I have had like problems, mostly caused by the mini drought of 35 days.

Pastures are picking up but I am way behind in feed because of the min drought and my MI not allowing me to be able to rotate the cattle in the pastures and a minor cattle v fence event that did not allow me to use what I had. All drought related of only 35 days.

Ganado likes this.
  12. ditch witch

Y'all realize these pics are the ghosts of gardens past. Ganado resurrected my 2012 garden. :D

Gopherman, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  13. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I like the fact your an innovator! You try all the weird little experiments too.
    I'm the same way, but with me it's because I'm lazy and want instant gratification! I haven't done some of the experiments like ebb and flow hydro,looks complicated for the yield, but I am going to give the Krackski raft system a try. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on Prepackaged fertilizers. Rabbit Pooh Soup or Bust for me!

Ganado likes this.
  14. ditch witch

Dude I am the laziest person you will ever find. I am constantly scheming for a faster, easier way to do something. I started container gardening because I hate pulling weeds. That's what attracted me to the aquaponics... no weeds, no tilling, plus I could set it up so my lazy ass doesn't even have to bend over. And the ebb/flow, media based AP system has been converted to a deep water raft system that just circulates constantly, with airstones in the beds for O2. Right now our big issue is what to do with the fish in the system. We get WAY too cold to leave the system up and running through the winter, which sucks because you really need it to run year round to keep the biologicals in shape. Greenhouse someday, but for now we need to move the fish indoors for the winter and while the 55 gallon aquarium worked (barely) last year, there's no way it will now. They're Coppernose Bluegill and they're all at least a pound now, too big for the aquarium, too small to eat.

Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  15. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

Grind them up and eat them. Yum!

Ganado likes this.
  16. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I don't know about the lazy part? I do know hauling all that gravel wasn't pretty, but I bet your feet looked good doing it![lolol]
    Turn the fish loose. I'm getting a bunch of Blue Tolapia from a friend of my sons he has hundreds of them, my wife can get drum heaters at 10% above cost so I'll keep them in 55 gal drums over the winter in the Potting shed withthe heater going I should be able to keep them at 80*F or better. I just hope that thing doesn't boil them. If it does I'll just throw in some taters and veggies and have chowder!:whistle:
    Heavy duty drum heater
    How are the wicking beds working for you" and the Raft? I watch the New Orleans Prepper guy on youtube and he loves them, but, he also buys Liquid Fertilizer for them. I think buying lettuce would be cheaper!

Ganado likes this.
  17. ditch witch

The wicking bed is working pretty well, got salad stuff in it ATM. The raft works fine, I let the fish do the fertilizing so no cost there other than their food, and I'm still on the same 50 pounds of fish food I bought over a year ago.

18. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Absolutely gorgeous garden!!!

ditch witch likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7