My Dilema

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by E.L., Jul 12, 2011.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The wife and I are going on a trip very soon from Texas, through Ok, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, and back to Texas. While I never travel without my .45, it looks like Illinois is going to prohibit that. I would love to avoid Illinois, but I'm the best man in a wedding there so it's unavoidable. Reading the Illinois laws having a shotgun locked in a case separate from the ammo seems to be the best bet. I'm flexible to a certain extent, but traveling across the country without anything is a scary option. I want to at least have a tactical 12 gauge with me. For those that have traveled in "enemy" unfriendly territory any advice?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Check the local laws at your destination. There are sometimes exemptions for folks "in transit." I might just put it in the trunk anyway if I were just going thru, so to say, and behave like a sheep while there. (I've done that across NY state. My PA permit is ((well, it used to be)) good in MA, it's a matter of not stopping on that run for me.) The alternative is having the majority of the trip without the comfort.

3. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

What about a tazer? Don't you just hate leaving Texas and having to deal with the laws in other states???
    The state police website states:
    <TABLE width="99%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=tmpl_infoheader>If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?</TD></TR><TR><TD>Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
    It looks as though you can bring any type of firearm...as long as you follow their rules. http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

FOPA will protect you.

The issue is that is will only protect after an arrest. Just stop before IL and lock the bad boy in the trunk. Completely unloaded of course. Drive the speed limit, stop only for gas, and get out of the commie place. You should be fine.

More on FOPA: http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

More on IL:

5. E.L.

Good stuff! Thanks for the input.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just transport your 1911 in the locked case, with the slide removed, and your safe in ILL, No problem.

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Remember you will be in Obama (Zero) land and anyway to violate your firearms rights are possible, lol, might not be funny after all.

8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Don't forget to stop & pray before you cross that state line......... Yea though I walk in the Valley of the Shadow of Stupidity.........

An give a prayer of thanks when you leave for your deliverance from EVIL!!!![bow][bow][bow]

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

10. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

F*** the law carry your piece if you display it and dont fire run and never consent to a search. The bad guys wont call the po po. If you fire it take it with you grind the extractor and bolt face drill the barrel and torch it all. dump parts in deep well. Sounds extreme but you dont have to talk to the police and if you use the fine word my layer is and i wont talk without him the cop are screwed. Dont lie just dont say anything you dont have to. If you lie the will change you out of spite<even if they cant prove anything else.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Send it with your mother in law....;)

actually i would carry it to the last rest stop prior to Ill... then place it unloaded and with the slide off in a lockable case.... and rely on the shotty through Ill... then once free of that state reassemble and proceeed as normal.....

12. E.L.

Thankfully the MIL is NOT coming on the trip. I'm wondering if by taking an XD if there would be an issue since the magazines contain more than 8 rounds?

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Anything will be an "issue" if the jackboots want it to be. Empty the mags and hope the idiots don't know, OR put a few MT cartridges in the bottom as a plug?

14. Witch Doctor 01

Just take the 1911 or buy one if you don't have it... i mean you know you want one....:D

Sapper John and Hispeedal2 like this.
  15. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

That's what I've done in the past, and would do again in the future. I don't unload, break down, or lock in the trunk. Simply don't attract attention by speeding or driving like an idiot, or displaying your USMC, or NRA sticker or Confederate battle flag, and they have no reason to even look.....to many other road tax victims waiting to be plucked.

Do NOT stop for gas or eats or anything but to take a pizz on the place...don't give ANY of your business to a Commie State like Illinois.....eat, tank up, etc, before you enter the border.

Last time I drove up to MN, I went right thru Chicago with all kinds of loaded armament.....which is the only freaking way I'd drive thru any major city, especially a "gun free" one.

YMMV.

STANGF150 likes this.
  16. E.L.

Thanks Andy, I agree. I'm afraid my Texas license plates will be just like a NRA sticker. I wouldn't give that state a dime either, unfortunately being the best man I am staying in the hotel with the rest of the wedding party and it's in Illinois but not Chicago.
    Witch Doctor......I already have a "few". I just had a discussion yesterday with a young man comp of age how he needed to vote with his wallet. Don't give a dime to the communist bastards.

17. Witch Doctor 01

i'd prefer to vote with myfeet and don't stay in the area...

18. Witch Doctor 01

I've a thought.... we should apply for a easement to allow us to traverse their state with all of our rights in place... like 64, 74, and 80 routes east -west and 55 north-south ... if we can't do that rent a prius with Obama stickers, go green stickers, Peta stickers, and Union FOP stickers should see you through...

19. E.L.

Be a cold day in Hell before that happens. Besides I'd have to renounce my Texas citizenship, and my wife would divorce me. I'm married to a good woman lol.

20. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I'd rather put a bullet in my head then to stoop down that low.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7