My first ever experience shaving with a straight razor

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by DarkLight, Jan 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

The morning of my last day before retiring from "gubmint work" was also the last time I shaved...though I do trim with scissors.

chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  2. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I gave up the straight razor, I just don't have the patience. I use a $12 LORD safety razor and get quite a few shaves out of a single razor before I have to replace it with another. I found shaving cream online that comes in a toothpaste tube called Porroso. It smells like eukalyptis, but it shaves well. A little dab like you're putting toothpaste on your toothbrush, into the palm of my hand and lathered up to a froth with my shaving brush. I tried several brushes until I found one that wouldn't leave bristles on my face every time I used it.

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

tumblr_mdl0ken3SI1r0wqrdo1_500.

kellory and NotSoSneaky like this.
  4. cranky1

cranky1 Monkey++

i used a straight razor for about 10 years until the kids got big enough to be fasinated with it, well, 30 years later i dug it out and sharpened it. haven't got my nerve up yet. but lordy, it is sharp! cheers jim

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I always found the straight razors to give a closer shave than I get with anything else but then I would shave with the grain first then go back against the grain to smooth up.
    From the looks of the razor in the pics it probably nicks more than a good straight razor as it looks like that blade had corners and a decent straight razor curves slightly at the back and is slightly clipped at the front. Corners will slice you up but with the corners rounded a bit and keeping it SHARP I never had a lot of problems with them. Carbon steel beats the hell out of stainless too as it takes a better edge. The sharper it is the cleaner and more comfortable and the fewer nicks. Hair conditioner also works better than shave cream for my part. As to more water, just wipe the blade clean and go on worked for me.
    Used one all the time in my teens and 20s when was shaved. Use a safety razor a lot now since lost my favorite razor and only strop. Belts work but not near as well as a good strop. Still use one some but just not as pleasant when can't get it truly sharp.

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Wait till yur good with one B4 Manscaping & do a Bobbitt ;)

Sloth

7. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

When using a straight razor, there is such a thing as "too close". My lady barber uses a straight razor, she didn't nick me, but it took 2 days to get past the razor burn.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. hammerdrop99

hammerdrop99 Monkey+++

Like the idea of using a straight razor, but I am usually too brain dead at 5am to do it without bleeding out. I will just stick to my double edge safety razor and avoid the terminal anemia.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

I have a Rolls Razor
    Very cool

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I use a German double edge similar to this.
    Tried to us a strait razor once ,However I'm such a bad man that I wanted to cut my own throat when I looked in the mirror!

FENRH1PH1H04_Fendrihan_Stainless_Steel_Safety_Razor3.

11. SurvivingPrepper

SurvivingPrepper Neophyte Monkey

I've tried the safety razor and liked it. But never have I tried this?! Impressed

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7