My first Prepping-ish Venture

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by lostinsauce, Feb 28, 2018.

1. lostinsauce

lostinsauce Monkey

Goodmorning All,

Recently I've been trying to nail down some simple things I can work on to improve my survival/prepping skills. I thought Id start from scratch with an essential tool; ham radio.
    Ive downloaded an app that allows me to take practice tests, but Im unsure of a decent source to study.
    If someone knows of a good source, Id appreciate info.
    Id also like some insight on what sort of equipment would best suit my needs. Possibly a handheld unit to start with, and I can atleast get listening.
    Thanks in Advance!!
    ソース

GOG, techsar and Motomom34 like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The W5YI guide is pretty good. W5yi.com

Or the ARRL study guide. ARRL.org

As far as what equipment would fit your needs....what are these elusive needs? LOL

For example, given the relatively short range of a typical handitalkie, are there any repeaters in your area to extend that range? Do you even want to figure a working repeater into your communications plan?
    Is this for local, regional, continental or worldwide traffic?

I would advise staying away from the Chinese hordes of low-budget radios...except maybe for disposables or handouts. Although a Baofeng uv5r might work, a Yaesu ft-60 has a cleaner signal.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    The_Prepared, GOG and Motomom34 like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Techsar is loaded with good info if you can pry it out of him :lol:, paying attention is a good idea.
    A handheld is a poor choice for initial listening, IMO, simply because there are very few, if any, that can hear on HF bands. They are usually designed to operate in the VHF and UHF bands (Those mysterious acronyms will be very quickly explained when you start studying.)
    There are some short wave receivers out there that will let you listen, but that will be all they can do, so think on a transceiver. There is nothing in the rules that says you can't have a transceiver, and I'll go ahead and suggest that you to that route. Immediately with that decision, you will hit the first PIA with hamming, that being rigging up some kind of antenna. We need a LOT more info to point you in the right direction with that. In the meantime, there are some portable radios some of which will receive "short wave" signals. One you might look at is often sold to have on hand when power goes out, many preppers have one: the Kaito Voyager or equal as made by many mfrs.

Side issue: Might be better as a first prepping-ish venture to make sure water, shelter, and food are done up.

GOG and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

What @ghrit said above - prep for what can kill you fastest first. No need to go whole hog, just inexpensive baby steps.

For your ham test I used hamtestonline.com and it was fantastic. Their adaptive training process focuses on your weakest areas, and new material is presented periodically as you gain mastery of previous material. It has a free option, but it's cheaper than buying the study books if you pay for it and after you pass your exam let them know and you will have permanent full access to the materials you paid for.

For what transceiver to get think about how you plan to use it. If you are hoofing it then a handi-talkie is good, if mobile look into one of those. Mobile units can also be used as base stations and are more powerful. Consider used for your first units, especially if you have a brick and mortar store like a Ham Radio Outlet nearby - where you can get literally hours of input. For a used handheld expect the battery to be trash, so make sure you can get good replacements before you purchase. Also, the transceiver is just the start (like buying a gun) - you may need antennas, power supplies, cables, all sorts of things that can add up, so think about the entire system.

lostinsauce likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

VHF/UHF Handhelds are an easy and cheap way to get started, BEFORE you get licensed, to get a feel for the community of Ham Operators, and Operations... When you get your License, (Tech or General, usually) then you can push the PTT and make a few contacts, to get started in the talking side of Ham Radio... Money is certainly and OBJECT for most of us, and I assume it is with you as well... I would be looking around for a local Ham Club and see if they have a License Class with a Testing Sit-down at the end... Many do, and it is a great way to get information that is relevant to your local Hams... Also it is a Great Place to find an "Elmer"... (Guy who helps newbies get started) Many times older Hams have spare Radios sitting on their shelves gathering Dust, and will make a Newbie a Gift, or a low cost donation to a Newbie... Heck, I got three HF Radios stitting in EMP Storage gathering dust, here... The "Elmer" that got me started 60 years ago gave me an Old GlobeScout 90 AM/CW Transmitter and a Helicrafter Receiver to get me started, and I passed that setup along when I could afford better Radios, to another Newbie.... I have done so many times in the last 60 years... Also Elmers will sometimes let you come to their places, and operate their HF Gear, to get a feel for what HF Ham Radio is all about... Local Clubs are a GREAT Resounce for Newbies...

Zimmy and lostinsauce like this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

"Recently I've been trying to nail down some simple things I can work on to improve my survival/prepping skills."

For the start of what you need.
    If you're in this alone it's one thing.

OTOH if you have an accomplice then have them pull a surprise drill of 3 days or more of, No Power, No water, No contact with others.

At the end of this drill you will have the start of a list of what you need to do, just expand this list and equipment as you need to for what you want to survive and how long.

Later do a 5 day bug out to a camping area, you will learn.

Zimmy, Motomom34 and lostinsauce like this.
  7. lostinsauce

lostinsauce Monkey

Thank you Ghrit and Techsar. You guys have given me plenty of a foundation to start with.

Due to my living situation Im not able to do a whole lot in terms of stocking up on food/water. I have a roomate and we're both in our 20s trying to get by check to check. Im also in the process of going back to school, so I have to be picky with where my money goes. But Id at least like some method of communication/sos in the case of shtf. I plan to get to a point where thats possible, but for now I have to rough it. Maybe kind of a gray man approach if that makes sense. Idk I dont want to sound like an egg, but I do want to start on something.

hitchcock4, techsar and Motomom34 like this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

You're most welcome! I hope you can get licensed and on the air...which brings up :
    ...and that is WHO are you going to contact? Think it through :)

ghrit and lostinsauce like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I do not believe he wants to contact but it would be good for him to be able to hear what is happening. @lostinsauce glad to read that you are taking steps to be responsible for yourself in case of emergency. HK was correct that one easy way to learn what you need is to go w/o power or anything for 3 days. Three days is a long time without modern conveniences and can be real eye-opening.

10. lostinsauce

lostinsauce Monkey

@Motomom34 & @techsar
    Eventually Id like to take the step into contacting others of course, but I dont want to hit the ground running. Im very new to most aspects of this, so a soft start is the best option for me.
    As far as who I want to contact I have honestly no idea. I would like to be in touch with folks that are in the area of course, but is there a good reason to be in touch with those further out?

hitchcock4, techsar and Motomom34 like this.
  11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Hitting the ground running isn't so bad ;)

If you have been listening to a local repeater, for example, you might have a good idea of who is a talker vs. a do-er. Gives some insite on whom you might wish to contact later on.

Getting on the air and making contacts now (after you're licensed, of course) also introduces you as a real ham when/if an event does occur. In other words, you have been vetted to an extent by others and will be more likely to obtain valid info.

As far as why contact others out of your area...simple. If you have a localized event, someone outside the immediate area could pass traffic to friends or family over more traditional methods such as email or telephone. Additionally, they may be able to provide you with my info not otherwise locally obtainable.

lostinsauce, Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  12. ghrit

That is a good enough reason for a hand held to start. An el cheapo Baofeng (or equal) will do for that.

lostinsauce, Zimmy and techsar like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

lostinsauce and Zimmy like this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

He could contact me if he got close enough to hit the Ellis County repeaters and he could contact many with the “flamethrower” repeater in downtown Dallas. (Including a carpenter named Dave we know who could use a hand/evac in dire times)

LiS is durable, intelligent, mechanically and electronically adept, and street savvy for modern urban hardship. He can shoot and has good arms. I’m working on the rest......

Y’all know better on the comms equipment than I do with my Baofengs. I’m also listening intently.

Motomom34 and lostinsauce like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey Zimmy, are you able to talk into Austin on your VHF/Uhf?

Zimmy likes this.
  17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I am not, Brother. At best I have 10W on 2M from listed address.

KG5CDZ

18. ghrit

Check around, Zimmy. There may be a linked repeater that will extend your range a whole lot. (I need to look into that a little further as well.) One of the locals here has talked into Georgia on 147.15.

Zimmy likes this.
  19. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Welcome! Glad to hear about the interest in Amateur radio. I always suggest Hamtestonline when asked, simply because I have seen more folks walk away with a new license that actually knew something about the hobby. It actually teaches WHY an answer is correct.

As for a radio, take advantage of the Chinese Baofeng UV5R for a handheld, maybe a KT-8900d for a mobile/home unit. As you progress through the hobby you'll want better radios, but start with a small investment to make sure the hobby is for you. You will want to meet some other Hams to perfect the craft, and for initial help in setting up your radios.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

techsar, Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7