My Hand vs the Table Saw

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, May 28, 2009.

1. tiny80022

tiny80022 Monkey+

I was ok till i saw the half of a finger nail. The area under the nail hurts like a bitch when cut. Get better soon bud

2. Ferret1959

Ferret1959 Monkey+

You can add Gerber multi-tool to that list.[winkthumb]

Not as bad as machine tools but still something to be aware of. [nono]

3. INRICK

INRICK Monkey+

finger

here is mine from last monday Picture 112. i done mine moving a file cabnet lol 7 stiches Picture 112.

Picture 111.
    Picture 112. Picture 111.

4. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

my top 2 was when i elbowed a stack of 1/8" sheet steel on edge, didnt feel it till break when i felt some thing dripping down my arm.
    that and i was picking up a huge pile of dishes, the ceramic bowl on the bottom didnt care for that idea and broke in my hand, after years both have good visible scars.

5. HalfaHun

HalfaHun Monkey+

Thanks for the pre-breakfast photos! As a carpenter and construction worker for many decades it seems my worst enemy has always been the razor knife- as my left thumb can testify. Along with the pushstick and featherboards, don't neglect the safety glasses and most importantly, do not stand directly behind your work but off to one side. Amazing how fast and powerful a kicked back piece can be- also mighty embarrassing to appear in the Emergency Room with an 8ft. sliver embedded in your anatomy. Good luck and stay safe out there!

6. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Oh man, I cringed when I read each and every one of these posts!

Talk about timely resurrection of this thread, though. How many folks are gonna get some kind of sharp power tool here in about 17 days or so?? Please, please, please, take care! And remind everyone you know about this!

Kajun

7. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

I am glad that you are healing up well. I ran my middle three fingers on my right hand through the blade of a 10" saw as it was powering down and escaped with shredded skin but no serious damage or cause for stitches. I am often told the horror stories of those who got careless with a power saw and did not get off as fortunately as I did. Be safe and I pray for your fast recovery.

8. drdave

drdave Monkey++

Valkman,
    I do these all the time in the ER. Nasty and quick cuts. Sorry to hear the tendon is involved. make sure you are taking Abx. Years ago we used to repair tendons in the ER but these have been given to the hand and plastic surgeons. It looks like you involved an extensor tendon so the repair should be relatively easy.

Best of Luck tomorrow

drdave

9. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks! This happened a year and a half ago and the finger and thumb healed very well but the tendon did not reattach and I have not pursued getting it fixed as it works pretty well. The ER doc I had did an excellent job of taking the hamburger of a thumb and sewing it up, that's for sure.

10. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Glad I read this thread today. I Use my 10" table saw on a daily basis and today I kinda felt I was getting a little careless and complacent. I don't put the safety glasses on all the times like I used to. Don't use pushsticks or slide the featherboard in all the time like I should. So this is a good reminder to me. Good info on here about using plywood for a pushstick. I didn't know that. Glad no fingers were lost Valkman.

11. JaxShooter

JaxShooter Monkey+

My dad did something similar with a radial arm saw. Spinning blades and human flesh don't go well together.

12. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I feel your pain brother.
    I got almost the same injury myself a couple of yrs ago on Notsogood Friday.
    I stepped/slipped on the add-a-plug on the extension cord it was plugged into.I'm not ashamed to say it made me scream like a girl.
    This is when I found out that I'm immune to almost all script pain meds.
    (WARNING!!GRAPHIC!!)

table saw vs. hand - YouTube

Matt

13. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

It's weird to find out that only an asperin/caffine mixture was the only thing that would kill the pain.
    Matt

14. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Ow Ow Ow ow Ow OOOOOWWWWWW!

15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

It was a handheld electric planer that removed the side of my dad's thumb. And a guy at my old job was using leather gloves while running a table saw, the blade caught the leather, the blade removed all four fingers and part of the palm. They were able to reattach, and he may have up to @%40 mobility, eventually. :(

16. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

And this, boys, is why this girl sticks to hand tools. I'm clumsy enough, I don't need help hurting myself.

17. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

On mine the blade went through the end joint,stopping at the middle joint.The end joint is now fuzed solid,and the middle one will only bend about half way.It still has feeling though.
    The thumb on the other hand has almost 100% normal movement,but only about 5% feeling.
    I had the middle finger in pins,and stitches for 3mo,and wrapped for another 2 with a special pvc splint I made for it so I could go back to work.
    The thumb was kept wrapped for the duration.
    Cold temps that never bothered me before,now burn my right hand like fire.Altitude,and barometric pressure changes now can be felt painfully.
    Shooting now feels like getting my hand pounded with a hammer.
    Oh well,thats life.
    Matt

18. spwhite

spwhite Monkey

I feel your pain. I sherred my left thumb. They were able to put it back together, but is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than my right one. Took a little while to learn to do things with that short thumb. Glad you didn't loose a finger

19. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Loss of my thumb would have been very bad,but I wish the middle finger had been taken off mid joint instead of being saved.
    With the end joint fuzed solid,and the mid joint that barely bends its a real PITA.
    The only thing it does well now is flip people off,even when I don't want it to.
    I've already been pulled into DOT/scales twice,when they thought I was giving them the bird.
    Matt

20. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

OUCH! I cringed before opening this thread. Looking at the pictures made me shudder a bit. Pray it gets a lot better.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7