1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

My latest Duracoat project

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Brokor, May 15, 2012.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I love Duracoat. I made sure I had a quality mask, and went to the local hardware store and bought a $50 breather. Not even a trace of the toxic fumes. Score. This stuff is pretty good...I have experimented in the past with it, but only at a friend's and very briefly. Now I have a pretty good idea.

I purchased a Paasche single action kit from Amazon (highly recommended) and went to the local Tractor Supply to pick up the necessary attachments and hooked it up to my air compressor. I regulated pressure at around 40 psi.

The AR-15 is my custom build, it's got a Bushmaster lower and 5.56 barrel, a DPMS upper and some other cool parts. I like simple though. I used the Aimpoint Comp M2 red dot in Iraq and never had any problems, so I use it now, too.

I like single point slings, and this one (I believe) is VooDoo Tactical. No problems yet, but the clasp is wearing a little bit -no big deal, still holds fine.

The paint job:
    First stage, I coated the rifle in flat tan. I waited 2 hours and then went across it with burnt earth to create the lines in various angles to break up the shape.

Second stage, I cut out a pattern of a leaf on a business card (high tech, no?) and used it as a template to paint the dual green tones and the dark brown. I rotated and angled the template as I needed, no fuss.

Third stage, I added flat black branches (again using a cut out on a business card I free-handed).

I even Duracoated my Smith & Wesson combat blade (my baby) and the colors match the multicam pretty close.
    DSCF1573.JPG DSCF1577.JPG DSCF1579.JPG DSCF1582.JPG 25010-0300-3-3ww-l.
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor

NICE ... (y)
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nice job..But i can't see the gun ?
    Is it hidden in the picture's.?
    Brokor likes this.
  4. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I'm not a fan of digital camo, but I thought you might be interested in this--if nothing more than just to have knowledge that it exists. I think though, that you could make your own stencils.

I've used something similar in concept: real leaves (ferns and pine are good) and grasses.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary