My New Bug-Out Boat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seacowboys, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Just acquired this baby, gonna change her name to Desire. She's a very well appointed Dufour 12000, ketch rigged.
    photo(1).JPG photo(3).JPG photo(4).JPG

Sapper John, beast, RightHand and 2 others like this.
  2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

That is AWESOME!
    Congratulations!!!

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Nice! Is she ready to sail, or needs some work?

4. Seacowboys

She's on the hill right now; the deck teak was damaged when they towed her over here. I am going to redo the deck, buff her, replace anti-fouling then put her back into the water and step the masts. There is a lot refinishing to be done interior and I want a larger battery bank and solar panels and wind generator and a larger inverter. She has good sails.

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You using this for a coastal runner ? Or plan on crossing the Gulf...
    Nice BTW...

6. Seacowboys

I frequent the lower Antilles, Central Americas, and the Bahamas, but there is an awful lot of good sailing up in New England, I hear, so might be heading a trip up that way with some friends. I got a volunteer cook and bottle washer already for "The Race" whatever the fluff that is.

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

the Race is great for fishing, particularly blues (which should always be smoked). There is always Newport and for fun, running Plum Gut in Long Island Sound. You get ghrit and I to the Race and I will guarantee a wonderful bluefish smoked on the beach with new potatoes and asparagus all complimented by a chilled bottle of wine. I forgot to ask how much you charge for your sailing trips?

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There surely is, and a lot of marinas are located near tourist traps (and good touristing.) Possible destinations to think about.
    Stonington, CT (and Mystic Seaport whaling museum.)
    Essex, CT (Used to be a very charming New England small town, haven't been there in a LONG while. Sailed Lightnings from there.)
    New London (Thames River. Sailed a variety of small craft (and raced in two) up to about 25 feet in the estuary. Again, a LONG time ago. Bear in mind that submarines don't steer too well on the surface, so you gotta give way in spite of the Rules of the Road.)
    Boston Harbor
    Cape Cod Bay and the Cape itself.
    Rockport, MA (The Gloucester area in general.)
    Salem, MA (Pickering Wharf has some nice walking, but preload your credit card if you need stuff from a chandlery or eatery.)
    Marblehead, MA
    Newburyport, MA (Watch out for that harbor, outgoing tide is a fast ride out, 7 to 8 knots sometimes. Incoming is rough as a cob in high river flows. There's a boat shop up river that still handbuilds dorys.)
    Portsmouth, NH
    And, of course, anywhere on the coast of ME.

Make sure the water heater works, taking a salt water bath in the ocean is a task for the hardy folks. Even in late summer, the water is pretty chilly.

ColtCarbine likes this.
  9. beast

beast backwoodsman

she looks sweet dude

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7