My New KOA Bush Camp Knife

Discussion in 'Blades' started by DomC, May 6, 2014.

1. DomC

DomC Monkey

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made in the Good Ole USA... :)
    Knives Of Alaska Bush Camp Knife.

1) Metal: D2.
    2) Rockwell Hardness: 59-61.
    3) Bevel: 18 - 20°.
    4) Knife Length: 10-1/2".
    5) Blade Length: 6".
    6) Blade Thickness: .140".
    7) Handle: Black rubberized Suregrip.
    8) Weight: 8.3 oz.
    9) Sheath: Vegetable Tanned Oiled Leather.
    10) Super sharp from the box!
    I haven't had the time to take her out but from the reviews I believe I'll be happyX3...Thanx for looking!
    DomC

7.5mas, Meat, M118LR and 2 others like this.
  2. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Monkey++

Just bought a KOS Alpha Wolf for one of my daughters. I was thinking of getting a Bush Camp myself. Good quality for the price. Also considering a Bark River Bravo but it is almost twice the price.

DomC likes this.
  3. DomC

DomC Monkey

Well. yesterday I put the Bush Camp knife to a little test, first in the kitchen then outdoors. I used the knife to prep some veggies for some chili and it worked like a premium chef's knife. I had stropped it to a razor's edge and it sliced and minced flawlessly.
    [​IMG]
    I used some of these beans....
    [​IMG]
    and this for seasoning.
    [​IMG]
    I browned a lb of ground chuck and here is the result. Served it over some al dente spaghetti pasta...delicious!
    [​IMG]
    Here are some pix from outsoors...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was surprised at how the knife handled. I choked up on the choil and carved a nice pothook and the carved point was easy with the edge being so sharp. The handle is easy on the hands too. It makes great feather sticks and the last pic is a baggie of Sabal Palm frond shavings. The spine is ground to a sharp ninety degree and I used it to smooth the point and it makes good sparks with a ferro rod (LMF).
    I am very pleased with this knife and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good inexpensive and high quality GP camp knife. Thanx for looking..
    DomC

4. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Monkey++

Great write up!

I would like to hear any experience someone has with the KOA Wolverine Magnum. Appears to be a hand size in between the Alpha Wolf and Bush Camp. But I cannot find any locally to handle.

5. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Meat likes this.
  6. DomC

DomC Monkey

Nice looking blade you got there! KOA makes great knives for sure!

Dom

Meat and M118LR like this.
  7. M118LR

I believe you have seen this blade on another network prior to 2014. But if memory serves me, I thought you where an ESEE kind of guy? It's always nice to sample what's available. JMHO.

Meat likes this.
  8. DomC

DomC Monkey

I own many knives and I own 2 Esee knives, a Candiru and a Izula II. I don't consider myself an Esee kinda guy.

Meat and M118LR like this.
  9. M118LR

No offense meant, hope none was taken. There are many other other networks, perhaps there are more than one DomC. The DomC I was referencing was a strong believer in the Rowen heat treatment, the points of his debate were so strong it lead me to purchase a Rowen Heat Treated ESEE knife. Enjoy your KOA, is it still in use or has it been supplanted?

10. DomC

DomC Monkey

I still have my KOA and use it occasionally...

M118LR likes this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

That is a nice looking blade..! I am however an ESEE kind'a guy ;)

Meat likes this.
  12. M118LR

Gave them away during X-mas gift swapping on other networks. But the Original Ontario RATS still seem to hold a place in the bags. Wonder why?

13. Andy the Aussie

I have an original RAT5 as well (along with around 170 other pieces of sharpened metal), it is a nice functional blade. I think Rowen do a better job with 1095 however. That said your average punter will not notice the difference.

14. M118LR

Perhaps I'm not as skilled as your average punter, but I'm not so uneducated as to ask what Rowen has accomplished with D2 steel that Ontario hasn't done better?

15. Andy the Aussie

Rowen uses 1095 for the ESEE knives, Ontario made RATs in 1095 and D2 (my own is 1095), I have found Rowen's 1095 more to my liking than Ontario's, not a huge difference but enough, edge retention, general "beatability" etc I have NOT used Ontario's D2 nor do I compare it to 1095, D2 is a tougher. My favourite steels however are Scrapyard's SR101 ( 52100 with their propriety heat treat) and Busse's INFI.

M118LR likes this.
  16. M118LR

So as we move into realms of real usage, (I'll take your screen name at face value) while partaking of a dip along the Barrier Reef. Just which of these two carbon steels do you expect to have as a viable knife when you need it most?

17. Andy the Aussie

To start with I generally avoid salt water environments, and the GBR hold no great attraction to me, for that I would be carrying neither however yes I think perhaps D2 has somewhat of an edge, no pun intended, in that scenario. As I noted I don't own the D2 variety and my comparison and preference was 1095 to 1095. 1095 produces a reliable, easy to maintain and relatively economical blade. In 1095 to prefer ESEE's offering. When I return to the tropics (I have spent my fair share of time in FNQ and the NT on and off since the mid-80s) it will be neither of those with me.

M118LR likes this.
  18. M118LR

So just what have you experienced that you care to share with others didn't you want me to poke fun at? Yup, it sucks to be me!

19. Andy the Aussie

...what are you talking about ?

20. M118LR

Just the life experiences of a US Navy Frogman. Perhaps you should care to explain your experiences beyond anything that I have needed to cope with. I.m all ear's about real experience in the "Land Down Under"!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7