My New S&W Model 28

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GOG, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

@GOG Talk with Velzey and see if he has a blast cabinet(I'm betting he does) See what he would charge you to blast it. Buy the rattle can of DuraKote matte blue. I'm telling ya Bro, if you follow the instructions exactly you will love the results. Can runs around 40 bux and will do two pistols. If you're not into DIY stuff, just have V do it for ya.

GOG likes this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I'm tempted Tully. I just got off the phone with S&W and there's a four to five month turn around. $170. to bead blast and matte blue. There's no way I'm giving up any gun for that long, these are scary times.

3. Tully Mars

If you decide to feel free to hit me up and I'll answer any questions I can. I apply this with an airbrush and/or a HVLP paint gun now, but I have used their spray can with the built in hardener. Comes with two different tips and like I said, if you follow their instructions exactly it looks great.
    Lauer DuraBlue Aerosol Firearm Finish

DuraBlue

Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Right now I'm talking to Velzey about him blasting and bluing it. I'm fine with Duracoat and Ceracote on long guns and pistols, but for some reason it disturbs me to paint a revolver, no matter what it's called. It's bad gun juju to me. :cautious:

Otherwise I'm just going to clean it and shoot the snot out of it. It's name came to me earlier today. This Model 28 will henceforth be known as "the Pig" whether it's refinished or not. :cool:

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  5. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

BTW, I've never in my life named a gun before but it just seems appropriate with this one.

6. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Every firearm that I've known by name was always a Female. Just Old Skool I guess.
    But if I ever have the need to sleep with it by my side, It makes me feel better that way. :LOL:

Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  7. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I removed the old grips and fitted these N Frame grips I've been hanging on to. I thought they were correct, but they're from a much newer model. However this ain't no beauty queen. It took a bunch of fitting because the curvature and dimensions of the frame were quite different from the newer models. The back strap stands a bit proud, but I was afraid to take any more material off. They got a bit thin in a couple of areas.
    I also stripped the finish off the grips and oiled them, they just looked wrong being all shiny. (Lipstick on a pig.)

I took pics of the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder to show what that P&R thing is about. Some folks don't know much about revolvers so I thought it might be helpful.
    Pinned means the barrel is pinned into the frame to lock it in and recessed means the chambers have a recess for the rim of the cartridge to fit flush in the cylinder.

DSCN0334.JPG DSCN0331.JPG DSCN0332.JPG DSCN0333.JPG

Yard Dart, Tully Mars, M118LR and 3 others like this.
  8. M118LR

Got to admit that I get L-Frame feelings with the .357, but I've toted the N-Frame before the L-Frames got introduced.
    Perhaps it's once again time for a little eye candy?
    Note the L-Frame in the bottom right corner.
    4 revolvers.

GOG likes this.
  9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@M118LR you have great taste in wheel guns.

M118LR likes this.
  10. M118LR

Nothing more than experiencing the times.
    Wheel Gun's have had their times, and folk's that toted them probably severed thier times. But times change, and folk's that want to live to see tomorrow change with them. JMHO. But somehow I think my taste in semi-automatics & automatics has yet to change. Perhaps that's why I still have an opinion? ! JMHO.

I just poured my unprecedented third, so it's time to give give warning that I just might give my unvarnished opinion to those that require my unfiltered Honest Opinion. Tonight!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    GOG likes this.
  11. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Double Dog dare ya'. ;)

12. M118LR

Put down your money and give me your odd's! Bet I'll take them and Y'all better have deep pockets.
    I mite have used one or two of these at 400 Yards in Silhouette Competition?
    But you better be willing to scratch the mark with me on the firing line of your choice when YOU Double Dog Dare Me!
    It's like put up or shut shut up, but I'll give you extra credit for trying!

GOG likes this.
  13. Tully Mars

The grips turned out sweet G! Makes me long for my old 27..

GOG likes this.
  14. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thank you.

Tully Mars likes this.
  1. Oddcaliber
  2. GOG
  3. chelloveck
  4. OldDude49
  5. Seacowboys
  6. Motomom34
  7. chelloveck