My only firearm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Macey81, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

it doesnt have a serial number. so that isnt really a pig deal

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes it does. Even if it has been filed off, the act of stamping causes the metal to compress. The use of an acid will raise that serial number enough to read without much trouble at all. (Very common practice)
    But I meant the ballistic match to a spent bullet from a victim's body.

GrayGhost, chelloveck and AD1 like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Yep....my extensive viewing history of Bones and other sundry CSI television series confirms this fact! :rolleyes:

4. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

At first I thought it might be Theo...then I realized he is probably dead by now...just another from his end of the gene pool.
    [drooling]

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

edit, k, let see if i can get this puzzle figured out ,once and for all

6. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

Nah, i dont like to carry weapons. if i have to protect myself though then somebodies going to learn what the 38 special hollow tip is all about LOL.
    knock you straight down or you should hope that it does lol. if you weigh over 200? this isnt passing through in all likelihood. opens up like a flower. like a slug shot size maybe.
    when your ears are ringing jast as the sensation of being hit by what may as well feel like a jackhammer only much much worse. It certainly isnt one of those guns where you are forced to pull the trigger. and the guy just continues on attacking like he doesnt realize hes been hit. because he is definitely going to realize it sadly lol

7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Believe me, the Alaskan Brown bear, after coming out of hibernation will eat something what is called 'skunk cabbage' (@BTPost can probably tell you the real name) to clean themselves out and then they will eat anything that gets in their path to include you. As a kid I use to log in some desolate camps up there and I have a lot of respect for them and Polar bears have also been known to even track humans... I think Grizzlies will also. Black bears are not so bad as they have a very healthy respect for man and normally will run away but Browns, Polar or Grizz...are a totally different story.

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

i studied primitive survival skills as a kid. my father took the stuff pretty seriously lol. for a long time i didnt even really think about it until. i was turned back onto it by ray mears.and though ray knows all his stuff. i dont agree with him in many instances(though, i love rays stuff. and his survival training is sound,im certain. seen every single show he has ever done and read a few of his books too

Anyway, i have never hunted using a modern weapon.

edit: what i meant was
    the practice of survival is essentially like camping for me.Because all the practice ive invested into surviving. was done while at the same time carrying modern tools. just your basic "bushcraft" stuff really.

I know a little bit about trapping and tracking. enough that its easy to be successful.. it all depends on whether you have are 'able to recognize the signs of habitation and behavior' of a particular animal) or whether you are setting a trap at some location you assume is good.ive had a lot of success with randomly set traps in the past though) ..in my experience once an animal like a squirrel has adjusted to the presence of anything different like a disguised trap. That will be the point when it gets caught in it

......ok i think thats coherent now.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  9. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

i dont doubt you at all man. i speak only from my own experience which is limited. so i have never had any trouble with the black or brown bears of either the northern or eastern parts of the us. but have encountered them on many occasions, 'at one distance or another'. and have never received any sign from a single one that indicated that i was in danger...but its just my own experience. and that would be mostly from colorado;mostly back bears

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There are no Brown Bears, east of the Mississippi River... Any Brown colored Bear you see, is a Brown Black Bear....

Tikka likes this.
  11. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

i dont believe i said otherwise.... though that isnt something i was completely aware of.
    ive never bean too concerned with bears really. and it certainly isnt going to make a whole lot of difference when youre dead lol. In a real survival scenario. if you are worrying about bears. Then you dont have your priorities straight. are you surrounded by a potential 2-300 mile radius of woodland? well learning how to identify the signs which tell where you may find fresh water. is something you may want to do. because well before 10 days without sufficient hydration youre mind will be totaled which only gets infinitely worse lol.
    my next worry is probably going to be rainstorms.and getting wet. resulting in hypothermia.

well,,,you have already broken rule number 1. thus,

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  12. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

Cant say im that worried man. But im pretty sure you're right.

and,,,most animals have balls,,but only for as long as they think you dont. .....well, i guess that really isnt true. most animals are cowards

13. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

cheers
    Snapshot_153.

14. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

yeah the 38 dont pack much punch huh lol

15. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

16. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

i dont like to take any chances with bears. And thats why i carry the gerber.
    Snapshot_121.

17. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Ya might want to read up on bears and the history of said critters......

18. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I own a .38 special. It would not be my preferred first choice, and would do little damage to a bear. Cops don't carry them anymore, as far as I know, because they were not the most effective against men.
    It is said, that a pistol round for defense, should start with a 4, but more than bullet size (and transfer of kinetic energy) is shot placement. Can you shoot it with a high level of accuracy?
    With the head scarf, I can't tell if you have a proper Ponytail of Fury for stability, or not. It could effect your aim in motion.

techsar and tacmotusn like this.
  19. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Well I thought I had 2 cents to add here about unusually aggressive black bears, but times change. I guess one could dig up vintage adventure stories from 2 to 4 decades back to understand what I was talking about. Up around Nova Scotia on a large Island called Anticosti Island, whitetail deer were introduced by some enthusiastic deer hunters. Black bears were already there in large numbers. The deer multiplied rapidly as an invasive species. It was north of their normal range. The deer grew enormous racks, both typical and non typical. There was an unrecognized ecological problem going on no one had realized. The deer were eating the bear out of forage. Hunters flooded the area because or the whitetail deer with trophy racks. The bears were literally starving but no one had caught on. A shooter would drop a beautiful huge racked deer and guess what? The Black Bears would come on the run towards the shot to claim the deer carcass or maul hunters. This was a given, and in hindsight it all makes sense. Bottom line, man wasn't too happy having 3 or 4 big black bears show up to take his trophy deer away from him. The bears were not happy with the humans not wanting to share food, and a lot of hunters filled and paid for a bear tag whether they wanted one or not. The bears at this point are believed to ALL be gone. The could not out eat the flourishing deer. The deer are still there, but it is not near as exciting as it used to be. The bears there were very aggressive. They too would have attempted to eat you and your probably illegal up there handgun. jus sayin'

20. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

BTW Macey, welcome to the Monkey tree. There are a bunch of folks here willing to share knowledge and wisdom. It may be more than you can Bare/Bear ...

3M-TA3, AD1 and Altoidfishfins like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7