My only firearm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Macey81, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

X2!

12 years ago, when I first moved here it was Spring and I went on a nature walk. As the slopes are anywhere from 50 to 75 degrees; to make life easy, I went down the mountain to a small brook planning on following it the the river.
    After about 50 yards or so, I saw a large bear track in the mud that was filling with water... My mind thought does Spring + bear = mama bear?? After that I carried a 44 magnum.

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, this thread was educational. Never heard of Timothy Treadwell.

They're wild animals, NOT cuddly family pets. Most who confuse the facts seem to come from the west coast or New York. Why is that? It seems as though these individuals are competing for the Darwin award. Ding-Dong!

Even moose, deer and elk have been known to kick human ass. Bears are much better equipped for the job.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

During the rut, bucks have killed people.

4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Try holding down a house cat sometime. :D

john316, kellory and Bandit99 like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Macey81
    Aren't you afraid that .38 with the serial numbers file off has been used in a criminal act? And, what if the police catch you with it? What are the rules for getting a Conceal Weapons Permit in your state and purchase a legal handgun which I think would be a better option then running around with a that .38 which more than likely is stolen. Is that even an option?

@Tikka
    "After that I carried a .44 magnum."
    I know that is what many of the Fallers (the loggers that fall the trees) carried. The long barrel .44 magnum Ruger Blackhawk was the favorite. But...I wouldn't even chance that against an Alaskan Brown. I wonder how it would do against a Black bear which are a hell'va lot smaller? I would love to have a .44 just to play with. In the logging camps, we use to get bored and go down to the beach and try shooting seagulls on the fly with the .44 mag which was a lot of fun but really difficult. :)

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@Macey81 I know you are mostly jacking with us here, but keep in mind that if you do need to shoot a large predator like a bear whatever you shoot it with needs to kill it before it kills you back. For many years the world record polar bear was brought down by a .22 fired by an eskimo girl (it was stalking her, she doubled around on it...). Yes, it can be done with a small/under powered gun, but only if you get VERY lucky.

For a field pistol on black bear country you need a minimum 357 magnum, but I always carried a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum for a bit more edge as well as versatility. First two rounds were snakeshot, next four were heavy FMJ's loaded hot to guarantee smashing through a skull. I also carried a speed loader filled with FMJ's and a second one with hollow points designed for two legged predators.

Brown bear country and above = 12 gauge or 338 Win Magnum. There are some very powerful handguns out now as well, but I don't have experience with them. The Ruger Redhawk Alaskan comes to mind, but once again no experience with 454 Casull or 48 Ruger.

Your 38 special is IMO entry level protection against other people, and ONLY if using the right ammunition and like ALL pistols ONLY with good shot placement..

Taku and kellory like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well then. You sir, are in deep bear doo-doo if that gun ever had a serial number and it was 'removed'.
    title 18, section 922k
    Possessing a firearm with an obliterated s/n is a minimum 5 year federal felony.
    And since you posted this in an open forum, you should be expecting a visit from some interested parties. I'd suggest if the serial number has been altered/obliterated/scrubbed that you head to the local police department and turn that sucker in.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    GrayGhost, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  8. kellory

Would they also add the minimum three-year mandatory sentence for Commission of a crime with a gun?

9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have seen several series of bear mauling's and a couple post mortem investigations from around Yellowstone Park. Them grizzlies are pretty much goof's, till they rip your head off......
    I would suggest not posting the pictures as they will be extremely graphic!! If you like, you can post a link to the content, but the pics themselves are disturbing. It is one thing to see an animal tore up, a dead human ravaged by a wild animal is gut wrenching to say the least.

Taku, Bandit99, 3M-TA3 and 1 other person like this.
  10. kellory

great minds think alike.

11. VisuTrac

I don't know but possessing it shows intent. Depends on how hard they want to smack him with the book.
    I'd not want to be @Macey81 right now. Posted pic of himself, with said potentially contraband weapon, surely appears to be a post 1968GCA firearm ... Surburbans and Tahoes pulling up in 4, 3, 2 ....

RightHand likes this.
  12. kellory

Yep, folks really need to think about what they post, be it illegal weapons, drugs, personal info, or battle plans. All of it works against you.

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You mean I should stop using my real picture as my avatar....?

Taku, oldawg, ghrit and 5 others like this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Thanks, YD as I was about ready to post them also. I will post, in a separate thread, some photos of the dead bear (monster) and a description as makes interesting and informative reading but no ravaged human body parts.
    EDIT: I decided not to post as having googled a bit there is a lot of photos out there already and after researching it appears some of my details were incorrect such as the caliber of gun (in truth, it was a .338 which makes more sense) and the guy that truly bag it (was a military guy, a young airman).

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

It is real steep there; in spots it's can be butt sliding to tree grabbing. In that terrain, a revolver is a lot easier to carry than a rifle or a 12ga with slugs. ;)

A good population of copperheads and rattlesnakes also.

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

What do you guys think about the LeHigh Defense Xtreme Penetratos for bear county? Due to hunting laws over the last few years, they are talking about opening seasons for both gator and black bear around here, and one of the places I go, I've seen black bear in the front yard.

17. kellory

Yes, I would at least add a mask (anything that covers would help....(tic):rolleyes:

3M-TA3 and AxesAreBetter like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Sonny, "You ain't Davy Crockett, and that Bear knows a whole lot more about killing than you do...." Anyone who thinks a Knife, is some kind of protection against even the smallest Bear, needs to make out his LAST WILL & TESTIMENT, Now... Best you stay in the "Hood" with your Gansta Buddies, where you will be safe... Last I heard, Bears are not frequent Residents of the "Hood"...
    You see, I actually live in the Alaskan Bush, and have Bear Neighbors, both Black & Brown.... and I know of what I Speak, from Personal Knowledge...

19. duane

duane Monkey+++

Don't care if its guns, bears, or life, heard some advice when I was trying to learn to fly at Eglin AFB aero club from an instructor pilot who had flown combat fighters in WW II, Korea, and was a test pilot for the AF flying research air craft. There are many old pilots, many bold and foolish pilots, but very few old, bold, foolish pilots. Its ok to read about it, to think about, and such, but real life has a habit of biteing you in the a**, .22 for bears, kissing them on the nose, short barreled guns, missing serial numbers, full auto weapons, testing a law mans authority, and a lot of other things will prevent you from reaching 78 and having all your rights and a happy life. In this day and age, talking or making video's of such behavior is no longer ignored and under the anti terrorist rules, it is difficult to prove that you were not intending to do so. Just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

oldawg likes this.
  20. VisuTrac

But I watched The Revenant he survived. ;)

UncleMorgan, AD1 and stg58 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7