My only firearm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Macey81, Apr 2, 2016.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

[lolol]

Visu, you crack me up...[lolol]

UncleMorgan, AD1 and VisuTrac like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The power of those beasts are amazing! I remember the damn cubs would play with the 55 gallons drums of diesel we'd keep on site for the Skidder and/or D6 Cat where we would be logging. They would moved them 200 yards or so into the bush and the following morning it would be me and the other kid busting our backside dragging them out. Believe me that shit got old real fast! LOL!! Power. And, that was the cubs!

UncleMorgan likes this.
  3. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

I once had a water moccasin slither over my left foot. Had one chase me once too. Had timber rattlers within inches of my feet..a few other venomous snakes as well. That I wasn't bitten in the past has nothing to do with what may happen the next time I encounter one. *shrug*

There are black bears on and around my off grid property. I carry at least a .357 mag loaded with heavy hard cast bullets, and a rifle as well most of the time.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I used to hunt squirrel s with a 357 shooting 38s out of it because I like a challenge when hunting a 22 mag did more damage than the 38.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Unfortunately, they will.

Hopefully, not while you're still alive.

UncleMorgan and Taku like this.
  6. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

The Treadwell story is doubly sad not just because two people died, but because two bears died also. But once a bear has fed on human flesh, they regard humans as a legitimate prey animal and a food source from then on. So they have to be put down.

Treadwell was fool to ignore all the worst-case scenarios that can happen with bears. He didn't even pack bear spray.

He was more than fool to invite his girlfriend into his fantasy--he was an irresponsible idiot.

And, in my opinion, he was also a coward.

When he called his girlfriend into hand-to-hand combat with a bear in the hope of saving his sorry carcass--that proved he was entirely willing to risk her life to save his.

He should have died like a man, instead--yelling for her to run while he tried to claw the bear's eyeballs out to give her a little better head start.

If she did attack the bear with nothing but a frying pan, she was brave woman. And she died attempting a hopeless rescue that should never have been demanded of her.

Rest in peace, Amie Huguenard.

AD1, 3M-TA3, Witch Doctor 01 and 2 others like this.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@UncleMorgan
    One should not speak poorly of the dead; however, being unarmed in bear country is the act of an idiot.

UncleMorgan, Taku and kellory like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Should have had one of these. KIMG0423.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  9. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

My apologies, Tikka, if I offended you, or anyone else. But I have always spoken the truth about the dead (as I see it) because the only other alternative is to lie about them.

I agree one should not disrupt a funeral or a wake, out of common courtesy and respect for the dead. But once the dead are laid to rest, it is the truth about them that should be remembered. Their failures as well as their successes.

stg58, kellory, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I believe @Tikka had posted tongue in cheek. That was my take anyway. Still like the bear scat with the smell of pepper and containing little silver bells sign.

[​IMG]

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@UncleMorgan
    As I called him an idiot; it was me who spoke poorly of a dead man and a brave woman. Sorry, if it sounded as if I meant you as I meant me. I apologize for my poor communicative skills.
    I dislike calling a human being who died while being torn to shreds stupid; however, Timmy Treadway left no other choice.

UncleMorgan and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I lost all of my firearms either to the bottom of the lake.....or a poorly played game of Texas Holdem where I lost everything else. Only thing I have right now is a pointy stick..... I hope that will carry me through [shtf]

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I can ship you an atlatl and darts overnight if you didn't loose EVERYTHING in that game. Haha. Certainly wouldn't be worse that a snubbie for bear. Haha.

Seriously, though, does anybody have any opinions of these for bear medicine? Ammo

Yard Dart and UncleMorgan like this.
  14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Suppositories?;)

UncleMorgan likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have a rule ,
    I never go into any place with out considering the worst and prepping for it.
    In bear country my minimum is a .44 mag revolver and preferably the .454 casual Puma.
    I have encountered big cats and bear in the bush and thankfully not had to kill them, but was able to stand my ground and not show fear (even though I was .)
    If you are going to shave any thing off the gun for self protection, remove the front sight which usually hangs up trying to draw it out in panic.
    The snub nose barrel is not going to give you the FPS or energy rated in the ammunitions specs.
    With the revolver, some energy is lost between the cylinder and barrel to begin with .
    A lot of people here care more about you than you do , think about it.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  16. BTPost

The only round, in that whole bunch, that can be considered a REAL Bear Round, is the 45/70...
    The rest are underpowered for those critters... Oh, Yea, some Gun Writers, somewhere have taken Grizz with some of those, but they ALWAYS had a Guide standing right next to them, with a BigA$$ed Rifle.... Unless you are a World. Class Handgunner, expecting to defend against a Bear, intent on having you for lunch, with ANY HandGun, is a Prescription for and early End.... REALLY...

UncleMorgan and 3M-TA3 like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Opinion? Sure. Nothing smaller than 357 for small black bears, nothing smaller than 44 or 45 for large blackies, and 45/70 minimum for brownies or grizz. 338 for polar. If you don't have the minimums, go as light as you can because being fleet of foot will be all you can depend on. And the mfr is not a significant factor.

3M-TA3 and UncleMorgan like this.
  18. BTPost

Oh, Yea.... Do NOT go alone, and make sure your partner is SLOWER than you are....

19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Even a .22 will save you from a bear. Just one round in your partner's knee......;)

20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'm sure the SO will be happy to hear that. Just figuring what to load into the hand cannon when I'm out visiting. Not a lot of call for it here, but they are apparently as thick as dropping under a rabbit cage out that way. Something about a wildlife refuge or some such.

I've traveled up Colorado way before, and the bears around the Divide did seem to be pretty tame, but then again, why wouldn't they? Y'all ever seen that neck of the woods?

UncleMorgan likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7