My path to hamming.

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by ghrit, Jul 13, 2013.

1. tekdoggy

tekdoggy Monkey

I'll let you know when i'm ready,, not sure my setup will talk across the street,, let alone all the way to alaska

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If the band is OPEN, 2 watts and a Wet Noddle will be enough..... If the band is closed 2Kw, and a Quad Stack of MonoBanders, at 120 ft, still will not push thru....

techsar likes this.
  3. tekdoggy

tekdoggy Monkey

50' of coax arriving today, can get my hf up and running finally. if internal tuner won't tune up well enough i may have to wait on the external i ordered. ready to try and reach some monkeys, always seems to take forever for stuff to arrive via post office. Have to stop buying stuff now, wife is going crazy, spent about $1800 on a scanner, 3 radios and accessories, lol, she said i could spend about half that, but you know how it goes..

BTPost likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Went and did it, bragging rights acquired tonight, /AE effective now. And so,
    [soap]

Well, I’ve gone and done it. So what?

For one thing, I am now fully qualified to be an appliance operator as one of our more experienced hams would put it. So that’s what I intend to do. All that ticket does for me is allow me to operate in more areas of the spectrum while accumulating some experience and knowledge; it is truly a license to learn. There is no hope of me gaining 30ish years of experience, the grass blanket will be pulled over me long before that; I'll never have the knowledge supposedly in hand by novices in wayback times before the requirements were diluted.

Diluted you say? I wasn’t there if/when applicants were required to show knowledge and experience by building and operating actual hardware (code excepted from the lack of actual demonstrations required.) What? Actual building never was required? The tests were always paper and memory exercises? What then is so different between then and now, other than things like solid state and digital thingusses needed to expand on basic operations? The tests, Tech, General, and Extra, are simple exercises in memory, you get a score based on how well you can memorize, nothing more nor less. Some of it is required for safe and legal operation, for sure, but there’s little value in forcing the memorization of formulae to calculate some of the esoteric items of concern to a circuit designer. (Par ex, the alpha of a bipolar junction transistor a real pool test question.) Am I going to rave about it? Hell, no, I’m not by nature an activist, I leave that for the heavily experienced firebrands that are willing to join the ARRL and get active in the administration and influence the requirements rather than sit on the side and whine about how the requirements are too loose and decayed since they got their tickets.

It seems to me that if you have to cut a dipole from memory in the field as some seem to think is required to be competent, you did NOT prepare for getting lost in the wilderness very well. Doing so just might doom you to waste battery power trying to get the wire “just right”. So where is that extra weight that a tuner might have cost you? And where does it say that the wire you cut and tested at home will resonate when you heave it up over a tree and try to call for assistance? What assurance is there that someone will hear of your plight on a single frequency?

Morse code, then. Yep, in the good old days it was required. Were it still so, I’d not hold a ticket, it isn’t interesting to me. And I have to wonder if those that passed the practical tests to gain the tickets really stuck with it. I have no doubts that some did and do use code and enjoy it immensely. Fine with me, I’ve no current interest; it’s just another way to enjoy the hobby for those that enjoy code use. I might even have a whack at it someday after I get some other experiences under my hat and explored other avenues the ticket allows.

More to follow if I don't mellow out.
    [peep]

Yard Dart, stg58, techsar and 4 others like this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Outstanding! Good deal and congratulations! I crack my Extra book several times a month because as you say, it's one you have to learn, not just study.

6. ghrit

Next up on the ham list of things to do, VE. Target is the end of the year. If i can work in an antenna twixt now and then, might have a go at a home brew, band is TBD. Maybe a fan dipole for 12 and 17 meters. Or not.

DarkLight and BTPost like this.
  7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@ghrit - VE takes 20-30 minutes to read the manual and 10 minutes to take the test, which is open book.

It takes FAR longer to get them to respond to the application.

8. ghrit

Thot so, that's why the long lead time --- (grin)

9. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Don't pay any attention to anyone who derides "Appliance operators". That nonsense has been around as long as ham radio: I'd bet that the first guy who use a Ford spark coil instead of winding his own was labelled an "appliance operator".

You don't need the knowledge which was required in decades past because hams aren't doing the same job we did in decades past. It used to be that hams had to know Morse code because that was the mode used by ships at sea, by the military, and by the Coast Guard, and they all wanted recruits who were already trained.. Now, since geostationary satellites were invented, Morse isn't needed, so hams don't have to know it.

The knowledge needed today is how to deal with the problems of today: loss or overload of cellular coverage during large public gatherings or emergencies (such as after the Boston Marathon bombing), lack of data connections due to floods or earthquakes, and for small detached IP networks such as ampr.org.

Well, cutting a dipole is pretty simple, since the word "dipole" means a half-wave antenna. If you want to operate on 20 meters, your dipole will be 10 meters long; and sending on the 80 meter band would require a dipole 40 meters long, etc. As far as taking an antenna away from a home-based trial to a field deployment, that's what hams do every year at Field Day (which comes up in June), and practice often, but not always, diverges from theory. That, of course, is the whole point of Field Day: to learn what does, and doesn't work before the rain starts falling. There's no guarantee that someone will hear your call on any frequency, which is why it's best to get into an organized club and set up plans to contact others when you need their help or they need yours.

Morse Code was always the "gotta kill it" gremlin on the road to a ham license - back when the government and ships at sea and airliners all needed Morse operators to communicate for any long distance. Arthur C. Clarke popularized the idea of geostationary satellites back around 1948, (long before the technology that makes them work was available), but as soon as they were rocketed up to the Clarke belt, Morse became yesterday's news. There are a lot of hams who want to bring it back, but it's not an essential skill anymore unless you plan to work for the CIA, DIA, or one of the other TLA's that still keep track of Morse traffic in the third world.

The funny part is, Morse is still a viable and important mode for amateurs, for the same reasons it was the only thing used when spark radios were invented: sub-optimal antennas in tiny fields, battery power, and radio bands crowded with noise from computers all make Morse the mode of choice for top-of-the-line contesters, for insurgent armies in far-away places, and for youngsters who build a transmitters from a kit because it's all their allowance will allow. Penny for penny and dollar for dollar, Morse gets through when nothing else will.

FWIW. YMMV. Welcome to Mount Olympus!

William Warren

kellory likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Bandit99
  7. BTPost
  8. DKR
  9. BenP