My prepping just took a turn.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seawolf1090, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

When they gave you blood thinners; they explained about the green leafy vegies and how it might affect your levels, right? Be careful with those numbers!

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

consider Cinnimon capsule to help control diabetes... it seems to help...

3. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

SW, sorry to hear about the medical scare, but glad to hear you're on the mend.

FWIW, my dad is 71, overweight, has diabetes, afib, high blood pressure, and was recently diagnosed with his second round of cancer. Last month he & my mom started the "Zone" diet. In three weeks he's lost 10 lbs, & more importantly, his blood sugar is almost completely normal. Obviously the diet isn't going to take care of the cancer, but it's helping him to get his strength up to where the cancer treatments he is about to start will (hopefully) not grind him into the dirt.

We were so impressed with their success on the diet that my wife & I are going to try it as well. I definitely have a good fifty to lose, and my blood pressure has been climbing with the weight. Time to take care of both.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Seacowboy............. I dont know your lifestyle but you will have ti find some sort of "peace" in your bi=eing. If your able to walk for exersice find a nature trail or somewhere thats pleasant for you and wald a little everyday. Never run or do any thing that is hard on your joints. If a heated swimming pool is available "join it"

Two natural blood pressure remadise are...Mukta Vati from India and can be ordered off ebay, no side effects whatsoever. Hyperavia also avaiable off ebay, no side effects execpt slight heartburn if taken on empty stomach.'
    If you like celery eat the hell out of it.....it will drop blood pressure and is good to help for smokers to smoke less.

And another note Doctors dont know your body as well as you do.

5. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Get well soon!

6. Dang, sorry to hear that.

My brother had to have a mechanical heart valve this past Christmas.

So long as he has meds he is ok, but without them he is on a count down to failure of the thing.

Worries him about orphaning his babies, but both I and oldest son have sworn family oath that they will never do without or want should something tragic happen to their Daddy.

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, I have quite a bit of literature, and the lists of foods and drugs to be wary of. Cranberries are off my menu too, and most stuff can be eaten in moderation, no 'binging'. I did get a laugh at the restrictions on dark green leafy veggies, broccoli and brussel sprouts..... I have NEVER been a salad eater, so cutting theseout is no trouble.
    One thing of concern though.... "Soybeans" are listed as a no-no, so how does that relate to 'soy lecithin' that is in nearly all processed foods nowadays? Some things are very hard to avoid.

After over a week, I am now feeling much better.

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. I'm only 68 yrs old!

GO SEE YOUR DOCTORS!!! Your lungs, hearts and brains don't care that your a tough guy!
    Seawolf, best wishes to you. Prayers out!!!

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

also watch out for diverticulitis!

It's sneaky and doesn't necessarily advertise it's presence and I did not know I had it till I had a colonoscopy...

went for the exam with no drugs and regretted it immensely!

that HURT!

and if ya eat the wrong stuff you can find yourself in the hospital on a antibiotic drip due to infection...

then I find out certain foods I like are now a big no no... especially stuff with small seeds like strawberries...

and forget a smoothie made with any fruit that has small seed!

metamusal is not recommended either... and too much fiber is also a no no... balance they tell me... ?

to tell ya the truth I thought my heart attack was actually the diverticulitis acting up at first... was kinda in that location...

big mistake on my part...

they informed my family they didn't think I would survive to reach the hospital...

10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

if ya don't mind my askin... did you notice any symptoms?

11. Seawolf1090

This thread is five and a half years old. I am still here. Never recovered my prior strength and stamina. Retired in 2014. Had to give up the health insurance, so no more prescribed meds. Simply unsustainable on my pension. But, there are other ways to control blood thinning, BP, etc. I am now "self-medicating".
    In two years I can start getting SS, in five years I can get Medicare. Life goes on.

Thunder5Ranch, Yard Dart and GOG like this.
  12. Kathy in WV

Kathy in WV Just runnin' the ridges...

I'm type II diabetic now too. I've been able to keep my A1C at slightly above 6 so I'm not on insulin, I do take Metformin twice a day. I have a lot of family who are Native American and all of us are diabetic or prediabetic. We were meant to eat a more basic diet IMO. Lord help me but fry bread is so good! I'm a firm believer that sugar, white GMO flour and artificial type oils (Crisco, Canola etc...) are the three biggest culprits of poor health in America. The human body recognizes real foods and knows HOW to use them. If you're buying foods that have an ingredient list, chances are 99% you're damaging yourself! Real unaltered olive oil, pressed walnut oil, etc are good for you and taste good too. Lard is healthier than Crisco!!! I'm not saying eat it by the spoonful but we use it and it and the olive oil helped our cholesterol. Stay away from STATINS. I've never had blood clots anywhere in my body so far but if I did I'd be learning about the herbal alternatives in case my meds weren't available anymore. Do it now before you need them. Also learn about essential oils. My 11 yr old doesn't use asthma inhalers anymore, he uses a blend of doTerra oils called Breathe... It works! When I had to have my thyroid out I had an ugly gash across my neck, ala bride of Frankenstein. I rubbed the incision with Frankincense oil and there's no scarring at all. All things you can buy now and no prescription : )

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Seawolf1090

Yep, proper food and supplements are doing better for me than the meds did. The Metformin in particular was causing major edema in my legs and feet. Getting off that was a big help. Too often these drugs cause more problems than they fix.

14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Good to have a Dokter that is a prescriptions are for after we try other solutions kind of guy. My wife was prescribed Metformin after her heart surgery in 2015 and it indeed caused her a lot of problems, After she stopped taking it we went from 24/7/365 raging PMS back to normal wife cranky :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7