My resurrected BOV.....

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by BTPost, Nov 1, 2019.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Spent this afternoon resurrecting my ‘86 Samurai to an operational ride... It has been sitting idle for 4 years, because the carb was bad and the Auto-Choke failed... Last winter, my Brother “The Engineer” installed a New Carb w/manual Choke, but we couldn’t try it because in the intervening years, some YAHOO, took the key out of it, when they moved it around in theVan Yard, where it was stored.. So we tracked down the Yahoo, but he couldn’t remember where he left the Key... His Dad owns a Vehicle Dealership, and told us that if I got the VIN Number, Year, Model, they could get a new Key made for it.. So I eMail him the information, and two new keys, showed up on the Wed MailPlane.. We went and tried the new keys and both worked, but no lights or cranking... One of the tires was flat, so enough for that day...
    Well today we went and got the Potable Air Tank filled, and put 20Psi in the flat tire, and towed the Samurai down to the White Cabin, with the Rhino.. Lifted the hood to check things out, and found some YAHOO, had stole the battery... Well, headed to the BoneYard and found an old Battery that fit, and showed a bit of life, and installed it... Tried to start it, and it cranked until the battery. went flat... Put the Big Charger on the Battery, for about 6 hours, and then tried to start it again... Cranked just fine, but with the new Carb, it took about three minutes to get Gas up to the Carb and fill the Float bowl...
    Finally it popped a few times, and VAROOM, varoom... We gots us a “Runner” ... Let it warm up while I cleaned all the Glass, Inside & Out, then took it fora Test Drive... Checked all the gears, transfer case, brakes, lights, heater, every things looks good... Drove down to the Port Shop, and filled all the Tires to 30Psi, and then to the Tank Farm and filled the Gas Tank... So far, everything looks like it should...

8FA1DFF4-EA3E-43BC-8F76-93D7100A3BC7.

2. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Enjoyed seeing old things from the boneyard brought back to life and usefulness!(y)

SB21, chelloveck, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  3. BTPost

Next I want to install some mobile Comms gear. I have a spare Kenwood TM-D710A T/R Unit, but need a Control Head for the Samurai... either one for a TM-V71A, or one from a Tm-D710A... I also want to install a very old item I got from a scrapped Tow-Truck back 30 years ago... What it is, is a device that connects to the vehicle Battery, and has a set of 20 ft Jumper Cables, for jumping an external 12Vdc Battery... It also has a built-in 120 Vac 30 Amp Battery Charger, that can also be to a 600 Watt 120Vac Inverter powered off the vehicle Battery... I plan on running a #4 Wire between the vehicle battery and a second 12Vdc group 27 Battery in the back where the Device will be mounted.. and using a Battery Charing splitter from the Alternator to each battery... Pictures when the project is finished...

4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

You could roll it over. Be careful.

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Nice...with some 1/2" angle iron and a welder you can make a nice battery box on the driver's side under the hood...less of a run from the isolator. At least on an '87 Sammi ;)

And don't worry about the rollover myth...more stable than many vehicles.

6. BTPost

Actually, I have some insight into the whole “Roll over” issue that plagued the Samurai, back in the day... My Brother (The Engineer) did all the forensics testing of the Roll-over issue with the Samurai, for the Lawyers who represented the OEM... The forensic Testing was carried out on a Test Track and the results proved that it was possible to make the vehicle Rollover if the driver completed some absolutely Insane steering Systems maneuvers, as long as the tire pressures of the front tires, were inflated properly... however if the front tires were operated, at less than fully inflated, the operator could cause a rollover, with much less insane maneuvers of the steering system... He had to scrap the Test Vehicles, but some engine parts made there way up to my Samurai, years ago, as well as the Samurai that he drove for decades....

Blue, Dont, Meat and 5 others like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yeah. It was a plot. No question.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Bruce, I'll look today. I think I have a spare 71 head.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Great little runner you got there. How available are spare parts?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. BTPost

Not much in the way of OEM Specific Parts.... My Bro. still has running gear, but those are premium Bucks.... Most Samurais got turned into "Rock Crawlers" down in the Desert Country... and are now sold at Premium Prices even if they are Junk... Mine will stay here as a Nice Warm Ride, and Stuff Hauler, for AlaskaChick....

11. BTPost

Ordered an Alternator dual charge isolator, Plastic Battery Box w Tiedowns, TriBall Trailer Hitch for the 2x2 Hitch Socket, and a pair of 200 Amp Jumper Cable Clamps, all for the Samurai Upgrades.. They will be here next week, and then I can start on getting things installed. I have had a good week driving the ride around, and other than a very stiff suspension, when driving thru Potholes, it is a very nice ride... Oh yea, found the Windshield Wipers are frozen in place, and will not move, period... However the heater works really well, so it is a very compfy ride...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

The Suzuki Samurai fulfilled a unique niche of the vehicle market for folks in all kinds of outdoor activities. From the beach, to the desert, to the cold north, and even as a daily commuter it provided an economical means of travel, with the ability to get in and out of small places, yet still be light enough to winch out of a stuck situation. I never owned one, but admired their practicality (and I think ease of maintenance) by how the owners customized them for their particular uses. My guess is that it would still be a popular vehicle if Suzuki, or some other manufacturer brought them back.

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. BTPost

Suzuki still builds them for the Third World market... They just choose not to make them to meet the USA TEch Specs, for importation.. I have been thinking I should look around for a Winch Front Bumper for it, and see what that might cost...

Capt. Tyree and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

15. BTPost

Thanks a whole bunch @techsar.... I have been looking for exactly that for a couple of months now.. I bookmarked it and will contact them in the spring, when our barge service returns...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Glad to be of help...BTW, put spacers inside the frame channels for additional strength and to prevent deforming the frame box. Half inch iron or galvanized water pipe works :)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Blue

Blue Monkey

Love my Samurai. Mine's a soft top. This winter, I'm hoping to chop the bed and build a more functional bed for it. Awesome vehicles. I'll take one over a side by side any day.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7