Gear Review My Shaving Rig - Merkur Futur and Simpsons Classic

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by melbo, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I went with a Parker 99R heavyweight double edged Razor and bought everything from Amazon. Very heavy, don't remember the specific weight. The Shark blades are made in Egypt, but only bought 100. I like the Persona better.

[​IMG]
    And Parker 100% Silver Tip Badger Shaving Brush. The bristles are very soft, compact, and work up a good lather.

[​IMG]

I also like using the Razor rock Alum Stick after cold water to remove the shave soap. Cooling, burns a little, but tightens the skin.

[​IMG]

Made my own Bay Rum aftershave from Bay leaves, Cloves, Cinnamon stick, and All Spice using Vodka to extract the essential oils in the spice (in a sealed Mason Jar for a month. Then strained through a coffee filter and added one ounce of Myer's Dark Rum then diluted the entire mixture with a half pint of Witch Hazel. It has lasted nearly a year and only half gone.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    Tully Mars, Ura-Ki, vonslob and 5 others like this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nice! Love it

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Okay, now THAT is some self sufficiency, right there. I thought I was serious, always making my own deodorant and toothpaste, but this takes the prize by far. Very nice!

4. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Visiting my sister in NYC one time and went the the Art of Shaving, never had a professional shave before, and boy I will tell you it is the best. I purchased a shaving kit from them and have never looked back. No more disposables for me. I get a better shave so I can go a couple of days, costs less, less to put into the garbage. I don't use a straight razor, use safety razors. In you guys are in NYC go to the Art of Shaving, leather chairs, hot shaving cream and hot towels, now I know why women go to spas.

Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

We have one here in Charlotte and I've considered it a couple of times. Never made the leap. I did get a straight razor holder and some blades and it was a good shave but I haven't done it in a while. I need to look at a safety razor...got plenty of blades.

6. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

When i shave my beard,prob twice a year i use a 50's model gillette rocket that was passed down from my father,i use disposable bics on my head though because making a mistake with the gillette on back of your head is something id rather not do lol
    D
    This is a picof my razor alongside an old shaving box with some real old gillete blades still wrapped in the paper ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428624276.020760.

Marck, Tully Mars, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC00026.JPG
    I was at a shopping plaza and the most beautiful Israeli woman grabbed my arm and pretty much dragged me over and wanted to sell me a million dollars worth of Dead Sea supplies. I did end up leaving with about three decades worth of this fancy aftershave. I have to say, it's really nice and it smells incredible. I still prefer pure aloe gel, but will use this after it dries because it's a fancy scent.

I also have to keep up with shaving, it's been a few months and I am feeling a bit raw after my recent shave. I am thinking about getting a shave cream dispenser, the kind which heats up a standard can of Barbasol. Not sure which to get if I do spend the cash, and I only would consider one to help give me an incentive to shave every two days.

stg58 and Dunerunner like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Just to add in, For those that do use safety razors, might give the murkur blades a try, I also use Feather blades a lot! My skin is tough as saddle leather, but I get close to 12 shaves out of each! I also found an old hand crank sharpening strop that extends blade life to almost double! I also use the Old Gelette adjustable safety razors, this way I can fine tune my shave to days or some times weeks of not shaving! From there, I have a ton of tips and tricks I can share, Feel free to PM any questions!

Tully Mars likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

After_trim1.
    I know wear a stash :

I also have my cut throats & strop , I have no idea how a safety gets a strop lashing ..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Witch Doctor 01 and Brokor like this.
  10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

:lol::lol::lol:

I have a couple of straight razors, strop, soap and a brush put away for PSHTF. Use them once in awhile, but my weekly use is a modern razor and disposable blades. Sass signed me up for the Dollarshaveclub.com a couple years back. Gotta say for 6 bux a month I feel it's a great deal. You get 4 4 bladed cartridges a month. They say change once a week. I hate shaving so the 4 will last me 1 1/2-2 months easy. Doesn't take long to build up a good stock of blades, and these are as good as the name brand 20 dollar for 3 stuff. For those of you that might be interested, give them a hard look. I have no problems with their stuff.

After reading all of the above posts, I need to invest in a much better brush and perhaps a safety razor/blades as well for when the balloon goes up.

This should be on EVERY Man's bucket list.
    The pure enjoyment of a professional hot shave can only be topped by a professional hot shave WHILE enjoying a fine cigar.
    Younger bucks may disagree, but it's as good as[do-it]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2016
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

For those wishing to get a high end shave at home, you really cannot beat a safety razor! The real secret is in the prep process. Good cake soap and badger brush combined with a pre shave oil and or a gell to really smooth out the experience! For those still not quite happy, try a cocktail of oils, balms, or gell under the save soap and a good post rinse COLD before the after shave! Your face will thank you!!!

12. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

[​IMG]
    Nothin' fancy. Well used..

Brokor likes this.
  13. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

It's really easy to stock up on a large quantity of cheap blades that will literally last you years. I have, and I didn't even know how long they would last me at the time I bought them. Shave soap too.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner