As some of you know, I recently considered and actually accepted a transfer within my company to California. About 2 months after accepting, I declined the position to which they came back with an offer that I had to consider again for a few days before giving them my final no. I think I said 'no' 4 or 5 times over this 3 month period... The position would have been a larger plant, more responsibility and also would have included a new project that would be the first of it's kind in the US for my company. With plans to construct more of this new plant, I would have become somewhat of the guru for my company. I focused on this aspect and attempted to not look at the negatives (which I already knew) of living in California as the plan would have been to stay for 2-3 years and then launch to another project. I was about 50/50 in my decision after the increased offer and increased benefit package until I reached out to some of our Californian or formerly CA members for some inside scoop. One response in particular was so thorough that I asked permission to repost it here. It was what ultimately made me realize that this was not a good plan after all.