My short lived plan to move to California

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Aug 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

As some of you know, I recently considered and actually accepted a transfer within my company to California. :eek:

About 2 months after accepting, I declined the position to which they came back with an offer that I had to consider again for a few days before giving them my final no. I think I said 'no' 4 or 5 times over this 3 month period...

The position would have been a larger plant, more responsibility and also would have included a new project that would be the first of it's kind in the US for my company. With plans to construct more of this new plant, I would have become somewhat of the guru for my company. I focused on this aspect and attempted to not look at the negatives (which I already knew) of living in California as the plan would have been to stay for 2-3 years and then launch to another project. I was about 50/50 in my decision after the increased offer and increased benefit package until I reached out to some of our Californian or formerly CA members for some inside scoop. One response in particular was so thorough that I asked permission to repost it here.

It was what ultimately made me realize that this was not a good plan after all.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Good information, thank you for sharing that post!! I will definitely use that detail the next time the Mrs ask me to move to LA for her work..... not a chance.... ever!!!!!

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Smart decision. My friends who love California and looking to relo to Oregon because it is getting to rough for them. The water point is very valid, they have a real issue headed their way. Though the project sounds like it would have been amazing, it would not have been just you moving. Family first always.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Plus, you just missed the 6.0 earthquake. That's a lot of spilled wine to cry about.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I am firmly convinced you made the right decision.

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

That is why I was giving you some shit when you first posted about going there. Could not believe you would even consider going there. You made the right decision.

AmericanRedoubt1776, Brokor and melbo like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I don't know when you asked for input on moving to CA, I missed that but I could have given you my 2 cents on that area. There is Kern county and there is Bakersfield. Never been there, never will, but know folks that live in that area. you did make the correct decision.

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  8. melbo

I didn't really talk about it much in public as I knew what the majority of responses from a group like ours would be and was really trying to focus on the positives (if there were any?) of the move.

We would have lived in Tehachapi. The area was pretty nice.
    We actually drove over to Bakersfield one day to check it out and turned around at the entrance to the city - didn't need to go any further than that :)

Thanks for the affirmation

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

This would not come up if I hadn't seen it happen. I know others who have turned down promotion/relocation offers have suffered retributions (like demotions and dismissals) for refusals. Fingers crossed that your outfit holds no grudges.

10. melbo

I'm sure my declination after 2 months of acceptance will be remembered by some. It was a very hard decision to pull out this late in the game.

I've committed to assisting with the projects until they find a permanent Plant Manager.

VisuTrac and AmericanRedoubt1776 like this.
  11. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Just for the record Melbo I took a 25 percent pay cut to get out of Kali and to Washington and have never regretted it.

12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

When I lived there, wages were one and a half times my local wages now, but cost of living was four times my local cost of living. So a much higher percentage of my wages were just for room and board and utilities.

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  13. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

Here is an interesting CalGuns.net thread on Why Calgunners might choose to stay in Commiefornia:
    Why do you stay in California? - Page 3 - Calguns.net

They had a poll:
    View Poll Results: What makes you stay in California?
    Family 94 53.11%
    Career 68 38.42%
    The Wimmenses 4 2.26%
    I just love crappy gun laws 11 6.21%

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  14. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Yeah, good choice. California was bad enough, 25 years ago, when I lived there (moved out in 92). Can't imagine how stupid it must be now! Plus, they'd tax that extra money extra hard, so you really might not come out ahead after all. Not a bad place to visit, but you definitely want to go with a plan to NOT stay!

Makes me glad that years ago my dad, who worked 40+ years at Kodak, declined the offer to move to Colorado Springs, where Kodak was building a new plant there. That state sure isn't what it was back then!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7