My Super Hot Peppers

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by TXKajun, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Happy to hear.

pearlselby likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You two aren't human!! @pearlselby and @TXKajun

How can you eat these things and not burn at both ends! :ROFLMAO:

I do enjoy watching you two throw peppers around and talk about them.(y) Thanks for the fun!

pearlselby likes this.
  3. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

We do eat a lot of them and in everything. My husbands' head sweats every day.

You made me laugh out loud, Ganado!!!! You are a hoot!!!

Ganado likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Hanzo and pearlselby like this.
  5. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

@Ganado, this guy is great. He really is excited about his peppers!!! I love that box of peppers he got in the mail!!!

Ganado likes this.
  6. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

There's really only one reason for a person to grow peppers rather than tomatoes. Personal preference. Or, in my case, reason #2 is I hate getting out in 100+ degree temp to weed, hoe, debug, etc. OK, reason #3 is to make folks go "WOW!" :)

My peppers I grow indoors are happily living in a nice comfy controlled environment.

[​IMG]

Left to right, front to back if 2 in a row: Unknown , Carolina Reaper (Front), Yellow Fatali (rear), Morunga Scorpion, Red Ghost (front), Yellow Fatali (rear), Butch T Scorpion (2nd rear), 7 Pot Brain, Butch Trinidad, and finally a 4 year old ghost pepper I've been nurturing since it was a plantlet. :)

I also fired p my Aerogarden last week and have basil and mini cherry tomatoes sprouting and waiting on parsley to sprout.

A neat hobby. And tasty.

Kajun

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@TXKajun yep, yep I was right you are either very tough or you are gonna die soon with those hot peppers... *waiting for explosion from hot pepper consumption*:eek:[touchdown][reddevil][reddevil][grouphug] Nice Pics! thanks for sharing those !

Hanzo likes this.
  8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

:)

9. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Well, I've had some losses in the last couple of weeks and am down to only 10 plants now. :( I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I kind of suspect it's the new pots....they don't drain, so I think the poor little pepper plants drowned. From now on, I'm going to do the "drought/flood" technique of watering......wait until they are almost drooping from lack of water, then a quart to 1/2 gallon into each pot. I noticed in the ones that croaked that the root balls were very wet. The ones that are doing ok are pretty dry. Also, the aphids have attacked again. Drat! I sprayed with some pyretherin spray a couple of days ago and will repeat in a few more days (I've tried Neem Oil as well as plain old Dawn, properly diluted and they didn't help at all).

What I have left are 2 pots of unknowns with 2 plants each, a pot of yellow fatali with one plant, a pot with one Butch T Scorpion, a a pot with 2 each 7 pot Brain peppers (one of which isn't going to make it) and a pot with 2 Butch Trinidad Scorpions which are looking sickly.

One of the losses was my 4 year old red ghost pepper plant. I managed to keep it going and got some good peppers off of it.

Keeping my fingers crossed, the heat around 72, and the watering down.

Kajun

pearlselby likes this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bring in some lady bugs, they love chowing down on aphids.

11. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I would love to turn some lady bugs loose on the peppers! I did it with a couple of small preying mantis last spring. Didn't do much good, though...prolly cuz it was only 2 and a bunch of plants.

Sweetie and I have already talked about getting a little delivery of lady bugs. After she quit freaking out and saying "They'll be all over the house!" (Uh, yes, since the plants are in my "manly room" which has a door directly into the dining room/kitchen/living room....open concept, kinda) we decided maybe not a good idea. :p

Kajun

Hanzo likes this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You could hang a mosquito net over the peppers.

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That is not an explosion you want to wait for or to see, @Ganado. [kissit]

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

so the translation from italian isn't so good but the peppers are wonderful!

Dried peppers in oil Sicilian
    [​IMG]

Ingredients:
    1 kg of peppers (I used green ones long)
    200 g of salt
    Dry red pepper optional

Preparation with the drying method with the oven:
    Preheat the oven to 100 degrees, cut in half the peppers, remove the seeds and inner stalk, cut into strips.
    Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, adagiateci the peppers cut into strips not too small, bake and cook for about 8-10 hours, checking from time to time they will not dry too much and then burn if the oven seems too stronger your lower put.
    When they are dried toss with the salt so abundant and oil.
    At this point stuff into previously sterilized glass jars trying not to leave any space between pepper and pepper.

When you have filled the jars, pour the olive oil to cover them completely, add the hot pepper if you like spicy taste.
    Close well and store them in a place in the dark and cool.
    To taste them wait at least three weeks so that you soften the maceration.

Preparation with the sun drying method:

This is the method that is used routinely in Sicily or in the south, the difference with the drying in the sun is the method because of course you have to cut them in half and remove seeds and stalks, cut into not too small pieces as you will sprinkle of plenty of salt before exposing them to the sun.

Put them in the sun for 4-5 days and I recommend the evening you have to put them in the house as there may be moisture and ruin all the work you have done during the day.

After the drying time put them in a sterilized jar, do not make space between pepper and pepper, then completely cover them with olive oil, add the hot pepper if you like spicy taste.

Close well and store them in a place in the dark and cool.

Taste them after 3 weeks.

TXKajun likes this.
  15. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Ganado, this sounds delish!

This year was extremely sparse on the hot pepper front. After last years 15 or so plants and fighting aphids and not getting but a handful of peppers, I decided to cut way back this year. I planted 1 Carolina Reaper seed, 1 Butch T Scorpion seed and 1 Yellow Fatali. They all sprouted, but only the Reaper is still kicking. I also got a way late start.....March or so....so the plant is still in the growing phase (could take up to 280 days to mature). I only have one grow light this year instead of 8. My elec bill is $100 LESS than last year! That'll buy tons of hot peppers without the hassle of growing them. :) But it ain't the same. :)

Living down in SENM, we have fresh Hatch chili peppers sold by the 30 lb sack and roasted for free at our grocery stores. The smell is absolutely incredible. We are at the end of the season though.

Kajun

Ganado likes this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I've been wanting to grow those thin skin peppers that to make pepperoncini but I haven't found them yet.

17. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Kajun, what I ALWAYS do, when cutting hot peppers, is to put a Nitrile glove on my left hand (holding the pepper), hold the knife with my right hand. The ONLY hand that touches the pepper (whole or chopped) is the one with the glove on it! Once I'm done, the knife goes straight to the dishwasher, and the glove is carefully removed (like they taught me to do, working with radioactive stuff), and disposed of.....straight into the trash can!

That method has been successful for me. ;)

18. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Sound advice, natshare. Unfortunately, I never seem to be able to find a nitrile glove when I need one. Living on the edge, that's me! LOL

Kajun

natshare and Ganado like this.
  19. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I used to buy just a small packet of them (10 or 12), at Walmart, over in the cleaning gear area. Then I discovered that Harbor Freight carries them, in boxes of 100, so keep a couple boxes of them handy. Those 20% off coupons they have make for a good reason to stop by their store, and if I can't figure out anything else I need, then I'll buy another box of them. (Y)

They carry Nitrile gloves in sizes medium, large and extra-large, in 5, 7 and 9 mil, for $7.99/box. I typically just buy the 5 mil, for what I'm using 'em for. ;)
    5 mil Nitrile Powder-Free Gloves 100 Pc X-Large

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

You're_fat

But you're good fat!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. alaskachick
  8. Ganado
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Motomom34
  11. Ganado
  12. Ganado
  13. Ganado
  14. Ganado
  15. kckndrgn
  16. TexasAggie
    Thread

Watermelons

How do you tell if a watermelon on hte vine is ripe?
    Thread by: TexasAggie, Sep 12, 2011, 1 replies, in forum: The Green Patch
  17. Shanna_Redwind
  18. enough
  19. fritz_monroe
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7