My Unpopular Opinion

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by RightHand, Sep 27, 2017.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The recent events where pro ball players taking to the knee while our National Anthem is played has led me to do a lot of thinking about freedom and what it means to me.

I am an Army brat. I was born to a soldier and then 52 years later, held him in my arms as he died. To say that I was proud of that man and all of his accomplishments during his life and the 3 wars in which he fought and almost died would be an understatement. I grew up on Army posts around the world, went to school with other army brats, eaten dinner at the tables of soldiers, from NCOs to generals. I have attended more military funerals than I care to remember and have wept at them all, some, my school friends, from war wounds and others just old soldiers.

I am army through and through. When I think of my father, his friends, comrades in arms, and my own friends, I really believe that what they were fighting for was not so much our own freedom but the concept of freedom for individuals of any nationality. True, they were often political pawns but fought nonetheless for someone's freedom.

But foremost, in thinking of what my own father taught me, was that our founding fathers envisioned the freedoms of thought, action, and speech. Those were my Dad's guiding principles and what he taught me to cherish.

I might find the kneeling and fist raising unpleasant to watch and even disrespectful but they are each fulfilling the dreams of our founding fathers, exercising their freedom of speech as it were. How can I possibly cherish the foundation of our country if I deny others the right to their freedom.

I have no doubt that my Dad would have harsh words for those ball players but I also have no doubt that he would accept their expression as much as he would expect them to accept his.

I stand with those who really believe in what our founding fathers enumerated for us to use as guideposts to a free society.

Listen to that with which you disagree, consider it and ignore it if you choose but never believe that your efforts to exercise freedom supersedes theirs.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well said RH!! I completely agree that they have the right to their free speech rights to act and say as they have been doing.

And with that, I am exercising my right to disagree with their position and that of the NFL product. ...;)
    They can continue to do their protest, and I can continue to withhold my viewing interest to them and their advertisers.

TXKajun, Ganado, Dunerunner and 15 others like this.
  3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Exactly

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's all a steaming load, nothing but a distraction.

Legion489, sec_monkey and GrayGhost like this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Agree totally with your view of our society and their right to make a statement. I just have a problem with their stated desire to destroy me as an old white honkey and most of which I cherish. The concept that somehow at 79 and still working for a living I am repressing a 25 year old making millions playing ball, rapping, politician, acting, etc, or his snowflake devotes, escapes me. It seems to me that they wish to replace a political and belief system that has served us as a nation fairly well for hundreds of years with a belief system based on instant gratification and a tribal system of government with their group as the absolute rulers and our group somehow owing them ever thing we have. Doesn't seem to be working out well in Africa, Saint Louis, Detroit city or any where else they have a majority and have taken control. The old saying that a tree falling in a forest with no one listening doesn't make a noise may be replaced by a man kneeling with no one watching isn't making a statement. I no longer donate money to the university I graduated from, travel to large sections of places near where I live, and other than Brady and the Patriots, in that order, no longer watch professional sports. Feel at times like I am a powerless spectator watching Nero fiddle while Rome burns.

6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

However, the first amendment only protcts us from the government. Private employers can and do limit the speech of their employees while on the job and, sometimes while off the job, every day. This is perfectly legal. Employees sign codes of conduct as conditions of employment. Even in my job if I get caught participating in an event that brings discredit to my company my job could be in jeopardy. The NFL could stop this by enforing the code of conduct for their organization. LikeYD said, of enough of us exercise our right not to buy their product maybe that will force the NFL to act. Remember just because people are allowed to do something doesn't make it morally right.

7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Agreed
    Best example I can provide is a personal one.
    Co worker was complaining about the "Company" did not have MLK Day as a holiday. I ask why he thought he should have the day off at the Co.'s expense.

Mummble mumbbble he said.

So I ask him about Veterans Day, got a blank look from the guy.

I explained what that day was and what it meant and represented to me.

Then I ask if he ever noticed my presence at work on Veterans Day, a day the Co did not have as a Holiday.

No he replied.

Good reason I said, I take that Day off at my expense, to attend activates that honor Vets of all colors.

In short, don't expect to be paid if you want MLK day off at others expense to honor something.

Same for the NFL or others.
    When at work work, do not bring your personal projects past the Goal Post of those who hired you. In this case of the NFL that means the FANS.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I worked with some sort of a nutjob Jehovah witness who maintained he didn't believe in Christmas
    I ask him one day, Why don't you return the time and a half pay then if you believe this so much?
    Deer caught in the headlights look is all he could muster!

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You mean like the hypocrites that preach global warming and drive big SUVs and Learjet's ?

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@mysterymet Yes! Yes, exactly!

@RightHand Frankly, I don't think your opinion is unpopular. I think most here are not questioning their right to voice their opinion but what I object to is when they are doing it. They are at work and, should be conducting themselves accordingly for people have paid considerable money to see these games. They are not there to see them demonstrate or listen to their political views. There is a time and place for it and a football game certainly isn't the venue. And, as mysterymet points out, that while at work there is such of thing called Code of Conduct which limits one personal freedom forcing the individual to conduct themselves in such a manner that the company/cooperation condones or face the consequences. This is what burns me because the NFL could stop this disrespectful conduct in a heartbeat - yet - they haven't so one must assume they are condoning the players actions. But, what happens if they next decide to run out of the dugout with jerseys saying "Kill All Cops!" or perhaps they will burn the flag when the national anthem plays the next time?

Are we now forced to listen to each and every grievance wherever and whenever? Must I be subjected to someone's political discontent and viewpoint when purchasing a Big Mac or purchasing fuel or groceries? There is a valid reason for these rules of conduct and these pampered athletes have overstepped it...and by the NFL's lack of action, I submit they have also.

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

While I as a veteran do find this disrespect of our national anthem and flag disturbing, I also wonder about their real motivation. Seems like a "smoke&mirrors" thing to distract our attention from more pressing issues.

12. RightHand

Regardless of how abhorrent, they do have the right to express themselves. However, since they are doing it while "on the job," it is the job of their employer to forbid those displays while representing the team. what they do on their own time and apart from their employer is their business. It's no different that if I came to work with a Nazi flag draped over my shoulders as a wrap while meeting with customers.

13. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

HRC still not behind bars or at least under indictment, NK rattling it's cage, PR is a total disaster, Houston has about 30,000 people homeless due to the storms, some people in FL still without power, more troops to the meat grinder in Afghanistan despite Trump campaign promises to the contrary, and the West is ablaze with wild fires. So the MSM and politicians focus our attention on football antics - What could possibly go wrong? Oh wait....

14. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Its just the post modern neo-marxists pushing their agenda.

15. HK_User

Since you ask,Seahawks’ Michael Bennett among players asking NFL to support social activism

• Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett gave the black power salute after a sack against Colin Kaepernick's former team the San Francisco 49ers
    • His brother Reshaud Bennett led a Black Lives Matter rally with Nikkita Oliver in Seattle before the game
    • In August, Bennett accused Las Vegas police of racially motivated excessive force
    • His brother Green Bay Packers tight end Martellus Bennett gave the salute before the game against the Atlanta Falcons Sunday

Read more: Michael Bennett celebrates sack with black power salute | Daily Mail Online

I am of the opinion Obama and Company is willing to cause so much trouble as to have a Race War to weaken the USA.[/QUOTE]

His track record of releasing felons and other moves that happened during the Period of his office suggest that point of view.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I might watch a football game if Uncle Sam would walk behind them while they are kneeling and put a suppressed .22 into each of their skulls.

17. HK_User

As it stands now, their position is of a sub servant's nature.

Only a very few of the current NFL have ever served the Nation in a time of need against our true enemies and risk all in doing so. Now the NFL Clan claim to hate their homeland and the horn of plenty they safely enjoy. Maybe a trip to a VA Rehab Ward, much more different than the type of care paid for by their big daddy owners to soothe those skinned knees suffered on the NFL Playground, would let them see what a true athlete might look like after a hard game. A view of those Vets with no knees, arms, eyes or reproductive organs might provide a true insight to what a Warrior is.

Playing games on Monday Night is not a big risk factor.

Tully Mars likes this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

LMAO. Just got to thinking that I'd expect my minions (slaves?) to take a knee when in my presence. I wonder if those high priced entertainers have tipped to that interpretation.

Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  19. HK_User

I doubt they ever got past the basic fact that they have been brainwashed to perform such actions when called for by their true handlers.

mysterymet likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Done deal LOL

Attached Files:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7