Mylar bag and oxygen absorber info needed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ajax, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Welcome back, man. I don't know about the tin canning equipment, I remember we discussed it years ago, can't find the thread. I know LDS could let you use their equipment or will can for you if you donate or pay the fees. Depends on your local LDS I guess. If you are a member, it should be no problem. I have none near me however.

I have been looking for the old tin canning equipment locally, hoping to score, but never found any. Also, buying the cans to can might prove to be a bit of a hassle.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Can Seamers are a VERY Premium Product these days, as most of the Companies that built them, have gone out of business... Also #10 Cans and Lids are very rare to find if you do not have a local Supplier, already. Mormon Canneries have been mostly shut down, except for one in each Region, that now Cans for the rest of the StoreHouses, in that Region. Prices are still about the same, but they consolidated the Canning to a single Regional Cannery. All my Long Term Preps, are in #10 Cans that were Nitrogen Flooded, and then sealed in a Nitrogen Flooded Sealer. Same machine as a Vacuum Sealer, but filled with pressurized Nitrogen Gas, instead of being under a Vacuum. Momma opened up a tin of 15 year Old Brown Rice, last fall, and we used it for a month or two last winter. Still as good as the Day we brought it home.

Canning goods this way, means we do not have to mess around with o2 absorbers, or Dry Ice, or Wet CO2... Nitrogen is the way to go, and it is cheap, when you already have the Regulator, and just rent a tank from the Gas Guy....

AmericanRedoubt1776 and Brokor like this.
  3. Brokor

Not to mention the #10 cans are a great size and can be used quickly enough for the food not to spoil in most cases. A 6 gallon container of wheat berries without a gamma lid would be a pain, and even with a gamma lid, that's a whole lot of grinding to do if you can't repackage or use it all in time.

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  4. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    kellory and Brokor like this.
  5. Brokor

kellory likes this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Ditto. I can't add more, this is exactly what we do.

7. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Ever see somebody lean all the way into the dry ice bin at the store and pass out? Scared the bejeesus out of me the first time I saw it. Practical lesson that some of the crap they tell you in school, that CO2 is heavier than air, ain't all a buncha mularcky! [sarc1]

Yeah Brokor it sounds like that's where engineer775 got theirs. Bit pricy but when you think about what it is and what it can do within a prepping lifestyle...it's a steal at twice the price!

AmericanRedoubt1776 and Brokor like this.
  8. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

no explanation mainly because I just plain tired of repeating and repeating myself endlessly .... why screw around with a crappy method when a vastly superior method is available .... add the dangers involved with dealing with dry ice .... "no dangers - I use dry ice all the time" .... hammer down that bucket lid before it totally equalizes within the bucket and the lid blows sky high - spraying particles around .... lots of burns back then with eye injuries and permanent skin burns .... have any idea the proper way of cutting a block of dry ice into 1.5 inch cubes? ..... people 30 years ago didn't know either ....

put aside all the bug-a-boos to ordering mylar bagging & 02 absorbers on-line and make sure your food insurance policy is secure .....

I was going to reply .... but it's waste of time ..... tooo much wrong to even try ....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
    Brokor likes this.
  9. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I really like the idea of getting a Can Seamer myself. Now I see why my search came up dead, it's good to know the technical term.

Does anyone have an idea where you can get the #10 cans? My search shows mostly freeze dried food in #10 cans.

10. Brokor

In one of the videos above, the gentleman explains how to search for the cans. I will post it here so folks can reference it at any time. You want to search for 603/700 welded sanitary can

The #10 cans are called 603/700 because that is their trade name based on their size. Manufacturers will stock them according to this name. I performed a simple search for you already, here's one website which sells them: Container Supply Company

You may conduct additional searches if you wish, and possibly yield more results.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  11. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Ah, thanks. That term works much better :)

I know some local people into prepping so I might see if they want to chip in and split a few orders and a canning tool.

kellory and Brokor like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid