Mythbusters sniper shot through the scope?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Interesting "mythbusters" on thetele rightnow.

They are working on the story of Carlos Hathcocks famous counter sniper shot through the opposing snipers scope.They get a winchester" hatchcock replica (available new now)..
    Lined up at 100yards against a ballistics gel- head behind a scope. All 3 100 yard attempts hit, shatter objective and stop within the scope tube short of the gelhead eyeball.

They even try at point blankrange ( just a couple of yards).The bullet tears thetarget scope outta the mounts leaving a ring around the gelhead eyesocket .clearly capable of inflicting injury but the "hathcock throught the eye" results could not be duplicated.

I don't know what the ballistics of their round was ;nor did the type of scope used as a target match a vietnam era com-block sniper scope. So
    the experiment coulda been more exact. But with all the convex glass surfaces to deflect the bullet slightly or just shatter and pile up to absorb the energy.The bullets never penetrated the entire tube.
    They reluctantly declare "myth busted"..

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Now that's disappointing. Tango you just ruined that part of Saving Private Ryan for me :mad: j/k

I really figured it was possible, just unlikely.

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Well I have heard that if he hadn't taken the sniper out, he would have been dead. I also believe in miracles. So if it is unlikely that this could happen, it could have been his guardian angel that helped with the shot. Just my thoughts on it.

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Tom Berringer did it is Sniper...or was it Sniper ll? Looks like a standard Hollywood shot to me.[dunno]

5. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

To get an accurate idea of how effective this shot is, it would have to be done about 5,000 times at a minimum to figure the percentages.

jim

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Vassily Zietsev in kiev (the movie "barbarians at the gate" with a mosin nagant) also; kills the german countersniperwith the same shot.
    I was dissapointed also . I have a copy of "Marine sniper , 93 confirmed kills"the Carlos Hathcock story on my bookshelf ( man's still a god far as I'm concerned).There would be far less glass in a real viet nam era comblock scope, so I still hold out the possibilityfor my hero.

7. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Tango... Enemy at the gates.... good movie! Made me want to go shoot a Mosin Nagant, and I did :)

8. Infidel

Infidel Guest

That Enemy at the Gates movie made me REVOLT. I forced 5 of my friends to get up and leave the theater. A more despicable portrait of the Russian armed forces could not be thought up. Plus the gay protagonist/antagonist thing going on.

Look at the poster

[​IMG]

Joseph Fiennes has eyeshadow make up on

and the way they were prancing about while doing the newspaper publishing.

Jude Law is such a fairy and I was expecting him to kiss Joseph Fiennes any time two of them are in the same shot. The closing shot of the movie is two of them hugging

COME ON

If I ever meet Jean Jaques Annaud I will spit in his eye

9. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

The "Shot through the scope" shot has become a Hollywierd staple, but I believe that it was hathcock who first reported it and everthing after is a copycat of that. I would be curious as to what NVA type scope they used for the Mythbusters test. I don't have my copy of his book with me, but I don't remember Hathcock stating what kind of weapon or optics the NVA sniper was using.
    Without that knowledge I'll stick to Carlos's version.

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Ok "Enemy at the gates"...you are correct there.Sorry...

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

That was one of my points they used what looked like a simple cheap redfiield 3x9 as the target. And I don't know if they worried about being lined up directly down the bore of the tube any misalignment would make it easier to degflect the bullet...

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I for one, don't expect any historical accuracy from hollywierd , "COME ON" its just a movie!!! By the same token I never consder a movie as any kind of " training", so I don't get upset. If the komrades get snuggly that's the holywood "gay agenda" working "proving"gay soldiers can be rough and tough snipers too...
    Whatever.

13. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I watched the later re-run of it last night, good show all round.

Enemy at the gates..... I didn't notice anything particularly gay about it... [dunno]

14. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I have seen that movie and I also didn't find anything 'overly gay' in it. Maybe I missed something though I will find it and watch it again to make sure. Can't have gay movies about snipers. Just isn't done.

As far as who I am with, I think Carlos has my vote as is witnessed in my other statement. I will not berate his talents, luck, or what have you when Hollyweird says that someones accomplishments are BS. They could prove that the shot couldn't have possibly happened except once in a thousand shots, and to me the man would still be a legend. I know that with much training and patience, I could become a great sniper however I do not think for one instant that on my best day, I could pull a shot off like he did.

It is his shot that saved his life, his job that put him in harm's way, his desire to do a great job that allowed him to take out an enemy sniper, therefore it is his reward to be a Sniper above many. Should we find that Patton didn't walk across water and put an end to the war himself, should we take his ribbons from him? This society is getting more and more about discrediting those who do outstanding deeds for the right reasons.

This man will be always in my mind, someone that cannot be broken down by all the moronic 'Bet he didn't really do it' bunch.

He did it, he's alive, enemy sniper is dead, nuff said.

15. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

Me neither, and I detest queers.
    jim

16. Panhead

Panhead On the Loose Founding Member

[LMAO]
    thanks.

17. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Infidel, come on.... it's a movie, All actors wear eyeshadow. I've been on tv, and I had to wear makeup, and I'm straight as an arrow and happily married. So they were close, that doesn't equate to gay. And to top it off, the sniper was doin the chick from "The Mummy".

I just fail to see any "gay" overtones in this movie whatsoever.

18. ridgerunner58

ridgerunner58 Monkey+++

Carlos was there...what better witness could you ask for.He kept note & gathered intell.I do not see his character as being one that would falsify this..

19. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[ditto] [winkthumb]

20. 155gunner

155gunner Monkey+++ Founding Member

If Gunny Hathcock said it happened, then that's good enough for me.

The obvious fault with the "Enemy At the Gates" poster is the bolt handle on the left side of the Mosin-Nagant instead of the right. I've never seen or heard of a left-handed Mosin.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7