Mythological Creatures near you (Cryptozoology)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackjack, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Bit off topic here.

Cryptozoology has always kinda interested me. More the real scientific exploration for new species rather than the bigfoot/chupacabra stuff, but I find that stuff amusing as well. Species such as the Coelacanth, megamouth shark, Platypus, Giant Squid, Mountain Gorilla, Grizzly-polar bear hybrid, and Komodo Dragon were all considered myth at one point.

What legends of mythological creatures are near your area of the country?

The various places I've lived have had:

1)Wampus cat

2)Pope Lick Monster

3)Ozark Howler

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

South Florida is nearly over-runwith Skunk-apes.[dunno]

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Not so much a mythological creature as a real-life monster, I'm surrounded by Liberals. They're coming to get me. [peep] [raspberry] [flag]

We had a tale of some kind of bigfoot thing running around back home. Said that a circus train had come through and derailed. A lot of the animals got loose though they caught most of them except a thing they had for the freakshow. Something resembling a bear mixed with a cat. Now it lives in the swampy areas and leaves big footprints. Never seen the prints and haven't ever seen the creature, though there are those that believe.

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Sasquatch (big foot)

5. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Bless you Tracy. Was that a sneeze or a what? [LMAO]

I just think it might be an old bear or something close to it. Never seen any example of bigfoot except on monster truck shows. Haha. Imagine it would look great mounted on a wall though. [dunno]

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I saw this critter digging up saw-briers and chewing the roots out on a spoil island in the Mississippi. Couldn't recognize it, so I tried to get a closer look and the thing burrowed right into the ground. I decided to smoke it out for a better look and dropped a fuse into the hole and two of them ran out and headed right for the river. I chased them with my boat but every time I would get close enough to get a look, they would dive under the water and all you could see was a wake sort of like a torpedo heading towards the shore. When they reached the bank, both of them scaled a clay bluff and ran right up the side of a huge cottonwood tree. By this time, I had already decided to shoot one of them with my rifle to get a closer look but before I could get a bead on them, they flew out...[dunno]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7