Name that bug! Bugs in gardens

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by kckndrgn, Jul 27, 2021.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know that some bugs are beneficial in your garden, most are not (IMHO).
    Today I found this ugly little thing, by little, it's about an inch long.

My search-foo has turned up nothing on what the heck this thing is. My general rule is if I don't know I leave them alone until I know that they are not wanted in the garden (or general area).

What bugs do you intentionally attract to your garden?
    How are you repelling the unwanted ones (short of pesticide to kill them once they are in the garden)?

I've read some people use lavender and/or marigolds to help with some insects. I'm trying this with my fall/winter garden. Just re-planted by squash (yellow/zucchini) and put marigold seeds around each hill, the marigold is supposed to help with the squash bugs, time will tell.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Seven dust is your friend, That bug is not your friend.

Thunder5Ranch, SB21 and techsar like this.
  3. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. kckndrgn

@TheJackBull - thanks, I've tried 4 different apps, none can seem to identify the bug, and each of them claim it to be something else.
    @Gator 45/70 given the amount of sevin dust I've been using lately I'd be surprised if anything was still alive in my garden!

5. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

yeah that sounds about right, I tried some drop down table bug identifiers and no luck, I wonder if it is not full grown. catch one and see what it turns into? that may help identify.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

That's a stink-bug, squash it with your hand and you'll find out why. There are many varieties of them and pictures available [​IMG]

HK_User, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Just one of the many types of stink bugs hard to get rid of

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That's what I thought also.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I wonder if diatomaceous earth might work it will kill most exoskeleton insects, yet it is harmless to mammals.

Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

CHINA Bug aka Stink Bug, KILL, KILL
    The brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys) is native to Asia. It has been an agricultural pest in China, Japan and Korea.

PLACE on Red Brick, Smash with another Red Brick

SB21, VisuTrac, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

TRUE

Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We get them BAD out here, especially when the fires push the smoke this way! The Bug-A-Salt dosn't work on them, but a grape shot of Pee gravel from a modded out Nerf gun sure splatters them good! We get all sorts of nasty bugs here when the fires are raging, praying mantis being a good one, grass hoppers and moths being bad! I caught a monster moth the other night, big as a full growed Robbin, Krazy big bug, kinda cool, my Pygmy Owl loved it for dinner, took him 20 min to scarf it all down, awesome little Raptor buddy to have around!

Thunder5Ranch, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Hate to say this, but that is a squash bug, not a stink bug. Squash bugs are even worse than stink bugs 25470EA1-FE34-4251-89AA-BBA5EE94D963.

14. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

They lay their eggs on the underside of mostly squash plants, looks like little copper tear drops, 50551F42-AFED-45B6-BF7A-86F38A6036AD.
    The best way to kill those eggs is to spray them with water with Dawn dish detergent.

15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yes it does. And as someone else said it's a squash bug and it destroys way more than squash. Should add that d.e. isn't a quick kill and it needs to be reapplied occasionally especially after a moderate or more rainfall.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I heard of an old man using that mix but he also added a couple tablespoons of Louisiana hot sauce to keep em ran off his plants

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  18. kckndrgn

Squash bug or stink bug variety I've got 'em all (who knows maybe that thing in the original post was a cross between a squash and stink bug). I've been squashing bugs and eggs, removing leaf's with eggs and burning, using soapy water in a spray bottle, DE, Sevin dust, neem oil, and on and on.
    Finally feel like I'm making some progress towards getting the bugs out of the garden.
    Squash bugs were so bad for a while I was using a vacuum in the garden to get the bastards then filling the vacuum tank up with soapy water to kill them.
    When I find them one/two at a time the spray bottle with soapy water does the trick, I've also had a bucket of soapy water and just picked them off the plants and toss them in it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7