NAME THAT PLANT

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Brokor, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Just playing, don't stab me... ;) Our plants in the NW can be tricky as well.... I will play later when I can grab a pick or two. I have an aversion to Texas plants... my ex lives there and she stabbed me with her thorns many a time.... [OO]

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

How long do I let people guess before I take pity and cough up the answer?

Mindgrinder and Brokor like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Wait for many relevant answers and not our dribble of non-related post.... it makes the game fun.

ditch witch likes this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

5. ditch witch

Um... that's like me showing you a picture of a Doberman and you telling me it's a Canine. You have to do better than that... there are nearly 3000 different plants in that family.

6. Yard Dart

righteous slap down that was biglaff

Zimmy, oldawg and Brokor like this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Found it

Solanum rostratum

a.k.a buffalo bur, spiny nightshade, Colorado bur, Kansas thistle, Mexican thistle, and Texas thistle.

Yard Dart, Brokor and ditch witch like this.
  8. ditch witch

And the winner is....

SEC

Buffalo bur, sometimes called Kansas thistle and prickly nightshade, is a taprooted annual weed. It bears long, yellow spines on stems, leaves, and flower heads and can grow up to 2 feet high. Drought resistant, its highest occurrence is in dry, exposed soil. The oblong leaves are 2-3 inches long with deep rounded lobes and are covered with very dense, stiff, and sharp spines. Bright yellow flowers can be seen in summer. In the fall, berries up to 3/8 inch in diameter are enclosed in the dried flower parts and are filled with black, wrinkled, flat pitted seeds. It is a host for the Colorado potato beetle. When mature, the main stem breaks near the ground and the plant rolls like a tumbleweed, widely scattering the 8500 seeds that each plant produces.

Buffalo bur crops up in cotton fields a lot. When it comes time to pick cotton the plants are dead and sort of explode when the harvester runs over them. The spines get sucked into the cab via the a/c and blown all over the driver. Some are thorns, but many are very fine and they get into the wind and then work their way into your ears, nose, and eyes with miserable results. It was the only thing in the pastures that my goats refused to eat.

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Brokor

Helpful information for those who wish to take part: LINK: Fact Sheets & Plant Guides |
    USDA PLANTS

At the above link, you can search through a massive database with images, scientific and common names of plants, courtesy of the USDA. There are also .pdf's you can view and download for most plants.

NEXT PLANT TO IDENTIFY:

herb/perennial/spring-summer/flowers are white/height mature: 4 ft./native to most lower 48 + Canada

A_23. A24. A25.

10. ditch witch

Wild Licorice.

I'm not answering any more. Don't want to be that irritating kid in the class who raises his hand on every question. :)

Brokor and kellory like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Go for it ditchy!;)

12. Brokor

Whoo you are good!

Glycyrrhiza Lepidota (American Licorice)

13. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Good thread!
    Let's add a couple Yes/No items when posting a plant to name..

"Is it edible?"
    "Is it medicine?"
    "Is it poison?"

That way we're learning aboot plants that matter.

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  14. ditch witch

Annual. Blooms summer. Up to three feet tall.
    Edible no
    Medicinal yes
    Poison no

plant.JPG flower.

Mindgrinder and Brokor like this.
  15. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Pic 1 looks alot like a regular strawberry....pic 2...ugh...i suck and don't know!

Brokor likes this.
  16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

ermmm.... let me look it up in the common edible plans of the eastern woodland that Broker uploaded... may take a bit tho....

Brokor likes this.
  17. ditch witch

You won't find it there. :) Think arid southwest and as far south as Argentina.

Oh I do need to make a change tho... it is edible.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  18. Brokor

Is it Desert Tobacco?
    Latin name, Nicotiana obtusifolia

19. ditch witch

No soup for you

20. ditch witch

Ok, it's been two days. Calling time. And per Mindgrinder's suggestion, I'll learn ya a few things about it.

Devil's Claw.
    Proboscidea louisianica ssp. louisianica.
    Not to be confused with an African native of the same nickname which is the one traditionally associated with essential oils and therapeutic properties. There are actually 2 species native to SW US, the pink flowered annual I have pictured and a yellow flowered perennial.

This is an annual whose seeds can last in the soil for many years while waiting to germinate, Devil's Claw is most commonly found where the soil has been disturbed, whether through plowing or livestock activity. At maturity the plant produces numerous seed pods with two long, curving hooks complete with needle sharp points that catch a hold of passing legs, which is how the seeds are spread. Although the plant itself stinks and is covered in sticky hairs, the pods can be pickled or just cooked and eaten though apparently there's a way to do it... the few I've known who tried them said they were pretty bitter. Supposedly you can brew a tea from the pods to be used for headache relief as well.The seeds (around 40 per pod and up to 50 pods per plant) can be eaten like peas if you pull them while the pods are green. Black seeds from dried pods can also be eaten, and supposedly taste like coconut and are rich in oil and protein.

Seeds are still sold in parts of Mexico and further south, the varieties having been selected for larger pods which are used for making baskets. The dried pods are also popular with artists and crafty sorts who like to make them into anything from google eyed goat head magnets to the more elaborate Phoenix I attached here.

seedpod.JPG devilclawart.JPG

1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Motomom34
  4. Ganado
    I love these [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Mar 8, 2019, 8 replies, in forum: The Green Patch
  5. Witch Doctor 01
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource