NAME THAT PLANT

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Brokor, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

So, it was nettle? LOL

Hey @Kathy in WV , why don't you or Mindgrinder post the next one if you could, please? If not, I am sure Ditchy or I could start another one.

2. Kathy in WV

Kathy in WV Just runnin' the ridges...

Heres an easy one that is not too showy but has a unique, lightly pleasant odor and is shrubby. Old timers made a decoction and believed it could cure cancers. Carolina-allspice-1024x763.

Sapper John, Brokor and ditch witch like this.
  3. Brokor

F249-07.
    Is it Allspice?

Allspice is one of the most important ingredients of Caribbean cuisine. It is used in Caribbean jerk seasoning (the wood is used to smoke jerk in Jamaica, although the spice is a good substitute), in moles, and in pickling; it is also an ingredient in commercial sausage preparations and curry powders. Allspice is also indispensable in Middle Eastern cuisine, particularly in the Levant, where it is used to flavour a variety of stews and meat dishes. In Palestinian cuisine, for example, many main dishes call for allspice as the sole spice added for flavouring. In the U.S., it is used mostly in desserts, but it is also responsible for giving Cincinnati-style chili its distinctive aroma and flavour. Allspice is commonly used in Great Britain, and appears in many dishes, including cakes. Even in many countries where allspice is not very popular in the household, as in Germany, it is used in large amounts by commercial sausage makers. It is a main flavour used in barbecue sauces.[citation needed] In the West Indies, an allspice liqueur called "pimento dram" is produced.

Allspice has also been used as a deodorant. Volatile oils found in the plant contain eugenol, a weak antimicrobial agent. -Wikipedia

4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Sweetbush. Monrovia sells them to the retail trade. Also goes by Carolina Allspice

5. Kathy in WV

Ayup...Sweet Shrub aka Calycanthus

6. Kathy in WV

We need a couple of harder ones now.... anyone?

7. Kathy in WV

Hydrastis_54278. Ok...
    medicinal... This is one of my personal top 10 herbs. I live in an area where I can still wildcraft this on my farm, albeit carefully and responsibly. Scarce in many areas due to over collection to sell. Eastern US, no idea where else its obtainable.

ditch witch.... make 'em work for it! Lol

ditch witch and Brokor like this.
  8. Brokor

Easy one, I won't give it away though. And if I know it, I KNOW DW does, too.

9. Kathy in WV

Its great stuff for colds and crud. Tastes like crap though. Lol This would be better if we could get the people who don't know herbs to play along. Easy way to learn basics...

Brokor and kellory like this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That would be why I included s link for full info.,:) learning should never stop.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

also used to chew the ends a of a green twig and use it for a toothbrush...

Kathy in WV likes this.
  12. Brokor

I might as well. It's Goldenseal. Also known as Orangeroot.

Goldenseal is often used as a multi-purpose remedy, and is thought to possess many different medicinal properties. In addition to being used as a topical antimicrobial, it is also taken internally as a digestion aid. Goldenseal may be purchased in salve, tablet, tincture form, or as a bulk powder. Goldenseal is often used to boost the medicinal effects of other herbs with which it is blended or formulated.

1024px-Hydrastis.

Kathy in WV and ditch witch like this.
  13. Brokor

HERE YOU GO!

PM_2014. PM_plant_2014. PM2_2014. PMR_2014.

Two varieties: Broad and Narrow Leaf

Description: This plant has leaves over 2.5 centimeters across that grow
    close to the ground. The flowers are on a spike that rises from the middle of the
    cluster of leaves. The narrow leaf variety has leaves up to 12 centimeters long and
    2.5 centimeters wide, covered with hairs. The leaves form a rosette. The flowers are
    small and inconspicuous.

Habitat and Distribution: Look for these plants in lawns and along roads in the North
    Temperate Zone. This plant is a common weed throughout much of the world.
    Edible Parts: The young tender leaves are edible raw. Older leaves should be cooked.
    Seeds are edible raw or roasted.

Other Uses: To relieve pain from wounds and sores, wash and soak the entire plant
    for a short time and apply it to the injured area. To treat diarrhea, drink tea made
    from 28 grams (1 ounce) of the plant leaves boiled in 0.5 liter of water. The seeds and
    seed husks act as laxatives.

Caveat: It's common name is the same as a very dissimilar fruit which grows on trees.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Looks like you found one I know something about, I have a bumper crop of plantain this year.

Kathy in WV and Brokor like this.
  15. Brokor

Ghrit got it in one!

16. Kathy in WV

Plantain makes good pig feed and they absolutely love it. I have one pig will eat Plantain before his grain! Steep plantain leaves in good organic olive oil over very low heat for several hours, strain and add a little organic beeswax for a healing skin salve that can even be used on chapped lips. Plantain is a good wild green for the cooking pot too.

17. Kathy in WV

Medicinal... jupiters-beard-red-valerian-1. Valerian-herb.

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now THAT is the kind of thing a prepper needs to know and have handy when it all goes south.

kellory likes this.
  19. Brokor

Kathy in WV likes this.
  20. Kathy in WV

You guys are good! Valerian is supposedly useful for treating some types of seizures. My younger brother has Down syndrome and developed seizures later in life, so Ive been actively seeking out herbs to grow here as a backup plan. Without some type of treatment option his life would be so hard for him.

Hey ditch witch, or anyone here, do you have any knowledge of plants useful for seizures???

1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Motomom34
  4. Ganado
    I love these [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Mar 8, 2019, 8 replies, in forum: The Green Patch
  5. Witch Doctor 01
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Herbal Manual 2018-07-18