NAME THAT PLANT

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Brokor, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

What can I say, I deserve a cookie!

Not I, maybe @ditch witch can help.

Anybody is free to go next.

Kathy in WV likes this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Not really. Passionflower is used for anxiety and I've heard of people using it for seizures but no idea if there's any real relief. There's some plants listed at http://epilepsy.med.nyu.edu/diagnosis-treatment/alternative-therapies#sthash.nKZS5aaW.dpbs but I'd want to do the decoctions with someone experienced because some of those plants (Lily of the Valley, Yew) are poisonous.

Brokor likes this.
  3. Brokor

1M. 2m.JPG 4m. 3m.

This is a tree

Description: This tree has alternate, simple, often lobed leaves with rough surfaces. Its fruits are blue or black and many seeded.

Habitat and Distribution: These trees are found in forests, along roadsides, and in abandoned fields in Temperate and Tropical Zones of North America, South America,
    Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Edible Parts: The fruit is edible raw or cooked. It can be dried for eating later.

Immature fruits are white, green, or pale yellow. In most species, the fruits turn pink and then red while ripening, then dark purple or black, and have a sweet flavor when fully ripe. The fruits of the white-fruited cultivar are white when ripe; the fruit in this cultivar is also sweet but has a very mild flavor compared with the darker variety.

Other Uses: You can shred the inner bark of the tree and use it to make twine or cord.

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is a scary list DW. Not only does it list lily of the valley but also Mistletoe. Some varieties are very poisonous. I would definitely research before trying anything on that herbal treatment list.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

P9142100.JPG I have no idea what this is, but I've got way more of it than I want. Name it, please, and tell me if there's a good reason to not give it a dose of roundup. Has an odor when crushed or cut by the mower, almost garlicky.

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

nuke it GH :)

:lol:

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@ghrit Are they attached? Or single stalk? Could be a broafleaf- mallow which is just a weed. Does it flower?

8. ghrit

Sort of a creeping vine, seems to send roots down from the ground level stems. I haven't seen flowers, but could be too small for these old peepers. Very low to the ground.

9. ditch witch

@ghrit I'd have to get my hands on it ... looks like young henbit but you said it's a creeping vine low to the ground so that rules that out.

@Motomom34 a lot of herbs used in traditional remedies ARE poisonous. Like wormwood... you can deworm yourself with it, or give yourself kidney failure. The art of getting it right is all but lost these days.

@Brokor that's a mulberry tree. Shallow, long running roots mean plant at least 40 ft away from any foundation or underground pipes.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Brokor and kellory like this.
  10. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

@ghrit, it looks like a plant that we call "creeping charlie" down here in my neck of the woods.It is a weed that can eventually take over your yard. It is good for animal feed for horses, cows, etc...
    Some old folks supposedly use it as a type of "greens" for eating. Never tried it and I don't know if it is true that it is edible.

ditch witch likes this.
  11. ghrit

I think you got it. Google shows a lot of images that look to match this infestation, and the description is also close. More later, I'll pull a few plants and take some closer pix if I can figure out how to take macros with my camera.

Thanx, SJ.

12. Brokor

Yup, you got it Ditch Witch. It's a Mulberry tree. :)

ditch witch likes this.
  13. Brokor

@ghrit if that's "creeping Charlie" as Sapper suggests, I wouldn't feed that to cattle. At least, not according to Wiki, I wouldn't know. It's got medicinal qualities, though. Still, looks nasty. -link-
    Glechoma hederacea (syn. Nepeta glechoma Benth., Nepeta hederacea (L.) Trevir.) is an aromatic, perennial, evergreen creeper of the mint family Lamiaceae. It is commonly known as ground-ivy, gill-over-the-ground,[1] creeping charlie, alehoof, tunhoof, catsfoot, field balm, and run-away-robin.
    Glechoma hederacea is toxic to cattle and horses.[12] Glechoma hederacea is known to contain terpenoids; terpene-rich volatile oils are known to irritate the gastrointestinal tract and kidneys. The volatile oil also contains pulegone, a chemical also occurring in pennyroyal that is a known irritant, toxic to the liver, and also an abortifacient. The total yield of volatile oil in Glechoma is less than 1/30th the concentration that of pennyroyal.

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. ditch witch

This should be an easy one. :)

This is a perennial clumping grass that spreads by both seed and stems. Originally brought to the Americas as a forage crop, now considered a noxious weed that will both choke out other crops and poison livestock under the right (or wrong) conditions.

quit-looking-here-for-the-name.JPG

15. ghrit

Purple loostrife?

16. ditch witch

Nope.

This grass, while happy to spring up in soggy bar ditches and irrigated fields, will also appear in dryland. Some farmers grow it intentionally for hay, but heat stress and frost can render it toxic.

17. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Johnson grass.

18. ditch witch

Give the man a kewpie doll!

I nearly lost a good reining mare to heat stressed Johnson grass. She'd reached through the fence to eat it, ended up at the vet with an IV for over a week. Vet told me afterwards he really didn't think she'd make it and that I got lucky. Went on a Johnsongrass eradication frenzy after that.

Yard Dart and oldawg like this.
  19. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Growing up in Parker county Texas, the unrivaled capitol of the universe for that stuff. Plowed,disked,shredded, and hoed my youth away on it. Even today driving by an uncontrolled patch of it breaks me out in a cold sweat and causes me to grieve.

ditch witch likes this.
  20. ditch witch

I was in Erath County at the time. Much further north now and hadn't seen a lot of it until this year. A big patch sprouted up in our back yard. I rerouted the chicken yard to allow them access to it and they pretty much destroyed it before it got very big.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Motomom34
  4. Ganado
    I love these [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Mar 8, 2019, 8 replies, in forum: The Green Patch
  5. Witch Doctor 01
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Herbal Manual 2018-07-18