Name This Tool

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Ganado, Aug 8, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Used while milking.

Bear and Ganado like this.
  2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OMG I thought sexual deviant devices would be banned in this forum,...

I guess not.

Rancher

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Kicking chains, like hobbles, kept them from kicking and reduced the number of times they stepped into the bucket. Did nothing for the dreaded s***ty tail though. One time though the d*** cow kicked, pulled the other leg forward and fell on the bucket. With the chains on, she couldn't get back up and was flopping all over. Did the logical thing, hollered for dad and let him take care of it.

Hanzo, chelloveck, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Nothing out there yet made beats the water yoke for hauling buckets. It keeps the buckets from hitting your legs and puts the weight on your shoulders and back, not your arms. Use your arms to steady the buckets. Were still used when I was a kid for maple sap. Emptied the sap buckets into the yoke buckets and carried them to the tank on the horse sleigh. Can kneel slightly and unhook buckets, kneel slightly and rehook. Walk through snow a lot easier and even an eight year old kid could carry two buckets.

Yankee screwdriver had a hollow handle with several fluted bits and my granddad used it to predrill holes in hardwood to prevent nail shakes "splits" in the wood around the fasteners as it expanded and contracted. Drilled holes for every fastened for wooden boats.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Ok what's this? [​IMG]

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

A horse curry comb

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol witch doctor wins :)

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Ok this one will stump you
    [​IMG]

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Hint used with dairy cattle mostly

10. Tobit

Tobit Ham Extra Class

Calf Weaner

Ganado likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yep you win Tobit

12. Witch Doctor 01

Nose clamp... for millennial punks

Hanzo, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  13. Witch Doctor 01

[​IMG]

14. kellory

Nothing. For while this is a plane, it is not for mouldings. It cuts a thin groove, a preset distance from an edge. It is used for making cabinet drawers. I collect antique wood working tools, and I have many of the planes you describe. This, is not one of them.

15. kellory

Pros would remove the return spring completely. If the screw tip skipped off the screw. The return spring would gouge expensive woodwork. It is not needed to open it, as gravity does quite well without it.
    An amateur would leave the spring in. And pay the price in damaged wood.

Hanzo and chelloveck like this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

DSCN0879.JPG It is missing a piece or two but it is/was a tool.

Hanzo, Bear and Ganado like this.
  17. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Beam mounted hand drill. Replaced by the drill press.

Motomom34, Tully Mars, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  18. kellory

Respectfully disagree. Moulding/molding planes have the same contours as the blades/irons. Otherwise, they can not cut the contoured shape needed. They are not flat on bottom, as block planes are.
    [​IMG]

"My Jim Leamy Plow plane. Beautifully ridiculous.

Jim Leamy Plow Plane
    This infill plow plane made by Jim Leamy is one of the most beautiful things I own. All the parts move with watch-like precision. The fit and finish of every single part is astonishing."
    Christopher Schwarz's Prized Plane and Tool Collection

These are just a few of my interesting tools. IMG_20150809_104002768_HDR. IMG_20150809_104502453. IMG_20150809_104229692. IMG_20150809_104311422. IMG_20150809_104546476. IMG_20150809_104021149. IMG_20150809_104032683. IMG_20150809_104112439.
    Can you name any of them?

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I see several flavors of special purpose planes, a racheting screwdriver, spoke shave, awls and gimlets. The axe looking thing is a bit mysterious, special purpose unknown.

ETA, I recognized the brace right off, have used one many times. Just forgot to point it out.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Mostly wood working tools @kellory. A couple of them I don't recognize. .. it's difficult because all the pics are in one post. Love the red truck hood as a background makes them easy to see. Nice collection!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7