Name This Tool

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Ganado, Aug 8, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Not bad.[applaud]the two small metal special purpose planes are rabbit planes, made to make a cut away or rabbit edge (one is square cut, the other cuts a rabbit into a 45° edge or corner.there is no ratcheting screwdriver, that is an early Right angle screwdriver, (direct drive), though the brace is both ratcheting and reversible. Spoke shave is correct, as are the three sizes of gimlets, but no awls. The long metal thing (a bit bent) is a soldering iron., and the odd bladed thing you see is a froe (used for making shingles from cut logs)
    The adjustable metal plane dates from June of 1778 (Pat. Date) and will cut both concave and convex, allowing for exactly fitting barrel lids, and barrel staves among many other uses. It could also be used as a simple block plane.

This is just a small sampling of my collection.( I have more coming from a neighbor, who wants to pass on his grandfather's tools) Everything works as designed. The froe needs a new handle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
    Hanzo, Bear and Tully Mars like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bear and Ganado like this.
  3. kellory

IMG_20150704_103404191_HDR. IMG_20150704_103409242.

Ganado, Hanzo and Bear like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Juicer for Berries and such.... we have one, that came thru my Mother, GrandMother, and Great Granny.... Had to replace the Wood Masher a couple of decades ago.....

Ganado, Bear and kellory like this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

That sieve is not a collectors item, make all of my tomato sauce, apple sauce, apple butter, jellies and only God knows what else and I like it even better than the Foley Mill that was supposed to replace it. It removes the seeds and purees the solids like nothing else I have used, even use it for making purees for drying. I am 77 and my mother gave me hers about 30 years ago and I don't know, when she got it ,but I remember it from when I was about 6 and it wasn't new then. The wooden mashers only last about 25 years, but it is easy to turn a new one on a wood lathe, replaced the white wood with maple so this one might last longer. Form follows function and some things like good wood planes and good kitchen things never become collectors items and cease to be of use. Cheese press, apple cider press, apple cider grinder, good hand saw, all are things of beauty and things to keep using.

The wire stands are a work of art, very light, designed to set on top of the pot and keep the cone out of the puree, designed so that the outer legs will set on the table and hold the cone off the table, has 3 legs like a stool, so they don,t rock on the pot when you use the pestle, the wire cage blocks very few of the holes in the cone and causes no problems with build up on the inside of the cone and the cone is removed from the wire cage to clean it easily. The hole size lets the puree through, but stops the seeds and peels and the shape and angle of the cone makes the pressure and the pushing of the puree through the holes such that the bottom of the pestle covers a couple of inches slowly, while the top covers many more inches and much more rapidly. The pestle, masher, is designed along with the shape of the cone to slowly raise the residue inside the cone as it is sieved and the stuff forced to the top is almost dry. It is one piece of metal sheet, with holes, one stand made of bent welded wire and a wooden stick and I still haven't figured out half of the design tricks that are built into the unit.

Don't get me started on the Stanly low angle plane with an adjustable throat and the groves in the side for your fingers and the back of the plane fitting into the palm of your hand. I have had one for 70 years and am tempted to be buried with it, just in case I might need it sometime in the hereafter.

My personal opinion is that a lot of the old functional tools are some of the finest and most enduring art man has ever created and their very simplicity in form and function are beautiful. In hundreds of years man has not been able to create anything better than the Michigan pattern axe, or the ball pien hammer, or a claw hammer and the subtle designs are timeless and yet 99 % of the modern Americans can not see or appreciate them unless it is on a you tube video.

Ganado, Hanzo, pearlselby and 3 others like this.
  6. kellory

It seems we share a passion for well.made tools, and true craftsmanship.:)

duane likes this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Yes, the best designs and best moments in life are often free, a good hammer and saw, and a good sunset are equally beautiful and no one has figured out how to copyright and force you to pay royalities for either yet.

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  8. kellory

Every hammer and saw out there, is patented, proprietorial, and designed by someone who deserves to reap a profit of it. That beauty, you hold in your hand took great skill to design in the very manner you praise it for. Embrace the true fact, that the very design is what calls to you, and that joy is owed to it's creator. The brand loyalty, the homage you have already shown, and the profit from it's sale, is the coin of the realm, and his tribute.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Georgia_Boy and pearlselby like this.
  9. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Yankee push drill or ratcheting drill. Yankee Push Drill is stamped on the side of my husbands 1976 drill from General Telephone (verizone now)

@Ganado you have outdone yourself again!!! Thank you for this fun and learning!

Is this a hobbler? I learned this on Gunsmoke.

Ganado and kellory like this.
  10. kellory

Not bad, but not quite right. They are similar tools, but different function. Made along the same line, and many of the bit will interchange. This version is known as a "Yankee" screwdriver, and they came in a couple of sizes. They both turn by pushing on a helix, but if I recall correctly, the drill bits were fluted to cut in both directions. They are essentially, the same tool, but with different bits. I have seen after-market later versions, that had both types of bits in a hollow handle.
    If you have the tool handy. The patent number should be right there with the model number. I will dig out mine, and we can compare models if you like.

pearlselby and duane like this.
  11. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

La
    My husband said he would get it out tomorrow and I will get the info and take a pic for you! Thanks kellory.

kellory likes this.
  12. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

kellory, the handle says Made By Stanley
    Yankee
    Part # 03-043
    Made in USA
    MY Dad had the brown handle kind. Wish I still had that one.

Thanks kellory!

100_4404.JPG

100_4405.JPG

kellory likes this.
  13. kellory

Yes, that was a later competitor version. I will dig mine out for closer comparison.;)

pearlselby likes this.
  14. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

kellory likes this.
  15. kellory

Screenshot_2016-01-07-18-33-56. Screenshot_2016-01-07-18-32-44. IMG_20160107_181434562_HDR. IMG_20160107_181619550_HDR. IMG_20160107_181518603.

Ganado and Georgia_Boy like this.
  16. kellory

These are both well over 100yrs old and fully functional. I have over the years, cut down and fitted bits for each. The one above will open fully under spring pressure, the one below, was owned by a pro, and the spring is removed, so as to not gouge expensive woodwork.

Ganado and pearlselby like this.
  17. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thank you @kellory. My husband loves the pictures.

18. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Hay!!! @Cruisin Sloth! Love the pictures and information. Larry liked it too! Thank you very much for taking the time to post them.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7