Native Pecans

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by TexasAggie, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Monkey+++

I have several pounds of native pecans I picked off the ground in SE Texas over Christmas. If I wanted to get about 6 trees out of the pecans to plant this spring, what do I need to do to get the pecans to seed?

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

If they're anything like the ones around here, just bury the nut in the ground a few inches and leave it be. The squirrels are forever forgetting where they bury them around here and every year I've got pecan trees coming up all over the back yard.

3. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Several pounds? I can send you a flat rate mailing box, pre-addressed and postage paid for. Just a small one ;) You won't miss a few??????????[bateye]

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

@alaskachick... let me know next year and i'll send ya some.... we have several trees....

5. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

you have got a deal!!!!!! I can send you some..............canned salmon????? canned mountain goat?, raspberry jam, or I might even make spruce tip jam and fireweed jelly next summer. :)

6. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Monkey+++

Do they require any preparation or minimum cold weather?

7. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Squirrels bury them in the fall, shell and all. Come next summer they come up. As for chill time I don't know about that, I'm zone 6a, but the native ones should crop up pretty much anywhere in the state. For best results, plant them under a shrub or tree you don't mind yanking on down the road, that way the summer sun and wind won't kill them. They do best coming up as understudy trees at the start.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7