Natural gas generator conversion

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Harbin, Dec 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@-06 That will work, as long as your genset doesn't change Loads often, or significantly... HOWEVER, if you have 50% load changes as Refers, Heaters, and Microwaves, turn on and off, the Genset will starve for NG/Propane at High Loads and you will be wasting NG/Propane at Low Loads. The correct way to do this, is put the NG/Propane Spud, into the vertex of the Carb, and use a "Demand" Regulator to feed the spud, with a minimum 10" WC pressure on the Input to the Regulator.

2. -06

-06 Monkey+++

The voice of experience---thanks Bruce.

KAS likes this.
  3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Not sure about the northeast, but during the Houston hurricane (Ike?) natural gas was shut off to many consumers...

4. -06

-06 Monkey+++

If you were a terrorist what would you target to disrupt the most lives in the dead of winter? Dropping power and gas is a "natural" target for them. The lines/towers cannot all be defended. One small caliber round per transformer is all it takes to drain the oil and burn it out. Tank farms would be on their lists also. An RPG would devastate most of them or mortars. All of a sudden you would not have gasoline, gas, or electricity---18th century living. Crisis is the absence of preparation.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Mountainman likes this.
  6. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I didn't have the same luck with Richard as you had. I ordered 2 kits and installed the first one with no problems. The second carb adapter was missing a vent hole so running on gas would not work. I called him and told him I had the wrong adapter, he said that it was the right one and basically there was nothing he could do. He then went on to say that 1 in 10 of the same model gens will have this problem. I said that if you don't have the vent hole that 10 out of 10 will not work on gas. I put the vent hole in myself and it now works fine.

Since I had bought 2 kits already I tried to see if I could get another one with a discount, a no go on that.

If you are dealing with him ordering he is great, but bring up a problem or ask for something and the friendliness goes away. I contacted the manufacture that he buys from and the prices are better. If you are going to buy a kit contact Carburetion & Turbo Systems at the below link:

CTS - Carburetion & Turbo Services Inc.

KAS, kellory and BTPost like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well, Glad you were able to adapt and get it up and running, I'm batting 100% with his product's.
    I have worked on a lot of Nat.Gas engine's. I have made them run on a garden hose, Simply because i wanted to do it.
    He's alway's been a stand up guy to me, However i've bought over 55 kit's from him.
    I get a discount. Good Luck man.

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

They are not his products and are made by the company in the above link, CTS - Carburetion & Turbo Services Inc.. He just pissed me off with the "that's the way it is" attitude and then trying to tell me that it was just the gen I had (1 out of 10) that was having the problem. The no discount was secondary to add on to it. In the future, order form the manufacture and save some money!

KAS likes this.
  1. techsar
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Generator FAQ 2001