Nature's Wrath: The Most Dangerous U.S. Cities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Mother Nature has various ways of reminding us who is in charge. The particular threats and the extent of risk vary greatly based on where you live [See Top 10 US Threats].

While there is no easy way to gauge overall risk of disaster, researchers love to try. One recent study found that in general, the world's population is migrating to coastal areas, where the threat of hurricanes and flooding from rising seas are now well known. Another study found that Americans are following this same deadly trend.

And anyone who lives in California knows that heading for the hills doesn't solve anything, since the very ground under your feet can give way at any time. Residents of the Midwest have their own twisted concerns.

A web site called SustainLane.com each year puts America's 50 largest cities into a natural disaster index with its Sustainable U.S. City Ranking.

At the top of the list are cities relatively immune to the brunt of nature. Near the bottom are those in the cross hairs of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis or some other force to be reckoned with.

This year's list (*=tie):

1. Mesa, AZ*
    1. Milwaukee, WI*
    3. Cleveland, OH*
    3. El Paso, TX*
    3. Phoenix, AZ*
    3. T ucson, AZ*
    7. Colorado Springs, CO
    8. Detroit, MI
    8. Fresno, CA
    8. Minneapolis, MN
    8. Philadelphia, PA
    12. Chicago, IL
    13. Denver, CO
    14. Albuquerque, NM
    15. Las Vegas, NV
    16. San Antonio, TX
    17. Nashville, TN
    18. Atlanta, GA
    19. Omaha, NE
    20. Austin, TX
    21. Kansas City, MO
    22. Arlington, TX
    22. Dallas, TX
    22. Fort Worth, TX
    25. Indianapolis, IN
    26. Louisville, KY
    27. Washington, DC
    28. Baltimore, MD
    29. Charlotte, NC
    30. Portland, OR
    31. San Diego, CA
    32. Boston, MA*
    32. Jacksonville, FL*
    32. New York, NY*
    35. Memphis, TN*
    35. Seattle, WA*
    35. Virginia Beach, VA*
    38. Sacramento, CA
    39. Columbus, OH*
    39. Oklahoma City, OK*
    39. Tulsa, OK*
    42. Long Beach, CA
    43. Houston, TX*
    43. Los Angeles, CA*
    45. San Jose, CA
    46. Honolulu, HI
    47. San Francisco, CA
    48. Oakland, CA
    49. New Orleans, LA
    50. Miami, FL

2. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Well I got to admit thats intresting. Not sure how much I believe it but intresting. Ks isn't listed anywhere on the list so that makes us either completely safe or we're so screwed that we weren't worth putting us on there :eek:. I guess I'll just stick it out here and see what mother nature pulls out of her purse to throw this way. If nothing else it's never dull.

Take care Be safe Poacher.

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Phew!.... at least I'm near the bottom of one list....:)

4. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I hate to be the one to break it to you, my friend, but bottom is bad on this list.

5. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Yay. I win again. Yet another chart that spells disaster for San Fran. Haha. I don't know what to be more worried about. Anti-gun nuts, Liberals, Hurricanes, Earthquakes or Tsunamis. Sheesh. Would it be too much to ask that it all happen in one day? :D

6. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I see the closest big city to me made #32...

Don't think they're worried about my city....4 murders in over 100 yrs...

2 drug related....the other 2 was a small carnival that USED to come to town and murdered 2 elderly citizens when they robbed them...

Drugs are the major concern here..and it's mostly prescription abuse and crystal meth......

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm 30 miles givvertake from 27. And, as the saying goes, at the end of the day there is no place immune to everything. You gotta prepare for the most likely, then work down the list to the least likely. What a hobby we have, trying to figure out how to dodge a bullet that has a 1 in a whole lot of chances to bullseye us.

Still makes you think. Lots.:cool:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7