Nearly forever tools and prepping

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by duane, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I like this thread. I have quality tools that I have acquired over a life time. I refuse to buy modern junk any more after the last lawn mower and rotor-tiller I bought lasted exactly two seasons each.

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Thunder5Ranch "My days are about done but take my knife and cut your way through life."
    Holy-Moly, T5R! That sent shivers down my spine! I bet he was a great man...he sure left you great words of wisdom as those few words sums life up perfectly.

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have posted before, but it fits here as well, I own two origional MK-4 Colt Revolving Rifles that I have collected, one was a unfinished project my Grand Father had, and the other I came across at a estate sale. Both are of the 1855 Colt patent and both were very late production with all the improvements such as the stronger cylinders, quick release spindles, and improved sights! Both also had the new fast twist barrels and I also got a full set of moulds and the ultra rare bayonet for one! According to Colt, these are shortend rifles, not carbine, and they were factory modified and reissued to their private owners with extra cylinders (6 eaxh) of which I have 6 from the one Grand Dad had, and 3 from the one I bought! Both are shooters, and both will safely handle a high pressure B.P. load of 52 gr of 3Fg under a 250 gr bullet! Both are M.O.A. out to 200 meters, and the one I bought is consistent to 500 meters, enough that I would feel confident in using it to take game cleanly beyond 100 or so meters with just the iron sights! Both are my most treasured firearms, and I enjoy shooting and caring for them greatly! I also have three replicas of these all with cylinders in .45 Colt, and they are a whole lot of fun too, but the old .44 B.P. actually out shoot the newer versions by quite a bit, so much so that I made a set of cylinders in .44 B.P. and fitted them to the one super high end reproduction, that one shoot a lights out all day long and with a retro replica 4 power scope, can shoot to approximately 600 meters min of bad guy! Those are my oldest firearms, oh also collect pre WW2 hunting rifles, specifically big bore English rifles, to include a 1934 Holland&Holland in .375, a 1918 Jefferies rebarreled to 500 Jefferies, and a 1921 Jefferies barreled in 9.3X74R!!! I also have my Griffin and Howe Commecial Magnum Mauser in .375 Wetherby magnum! And that rifle has been my most trusted companion and has taken more game then almost all the others except my 1903 Springfield Stalking Rifle, which has taken more then the big .375! All are fine tools I look forward to passing on to my two boys who are also gun junkies!

4. Bandit99

@Ura-Ki Bloody hell, Ura-ki! You are definitely one of those evil-wicked-baby killing gun owners! HISS! BOO! For shame! :) And...you must have a gun safe the size of a vault! (I always wanted a gun vault...sigh.) Don't know what I am going to do as want to purchase that FAL and another PWS and ain't no way their getting into that safe of mine...wife will throw me out for sure when I try to put in a bigger safe LOL! But, I guess that solves my storage problem, no home = no safe. LOL!

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Lol! We don't own as many as you would think, we have 2 48 gun safes which are actually more like 32 gun safes! Most of our arms are nice hunting rifles and shotguns, and numerous nice hand guns. My small but growing collection of military arms and accessories has reall only started in the last 12 years or so, but will likely displace some others, thus needing a different storage set up. All B.P. arms are proudly on display in our living room ether above the fireplace or on the walls with a bunch of black and white pictures and other cool old stuff! Lol
    I just found out I qualify as a super gun owner, apprently my collection of 1911s alone put me over the top!
    Is it bad that nether one of us can quite remember the actual count?

duane, Dunerunner and Bandit99 like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"Super"? I wonder if I qualify, I have way fewer than 100, and most of those are in the deep. (I do have a couple CandR not drowned.)

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. Bandit99

@ghrit "...and most of those are in the deep."
    How cruel you people who drown their poor defensive firearms! Here they are getting blamed for crimes and violence and now after protecting you for years you repay them by drowning. Shame on you, Sir!

...I need to get around and do that also some day soon...just how does one do that properly, I wonder...put it on my research and do list.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You say a nice Prayer, just defore you have that boating accident... and it isn’t for safe return to shore....[lolol]

9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The older I get, the more I find myself quoting Grandpa. He was not liked by most folks because.... well....... no one ever had to wonder what he thought about them :)

duane, SB21 and Bandit99 like this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Sounds like my Grandpa. Might be where I got my charming personality. :ROFLMAO:

duane and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  11. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey+

That is a beautiful knife.

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When you've been so poor that you straiten nails in stead of buying them you can appreciate what it takes to make them.
    Many things we pass through our hands take so little thought as to what it takes to make . Me not so much.
    I grew up fixing stuff because antiques had no parts stores .
    Worn out locks got refurbished ,light switches were cleaned and contacts dressed, and replaced springs . wiring was knob and tube and handing electricity was simple, unscrew the fuse and stand on wood . Radios could be fixed and most things were worth fixing . But then these are every day use things in my life. My kids were astonished to see some if this stuff in antique stores , exclaiming "that's no antique ".
    Dad was a serious collector , any thing some one else was throwing away has potential .
    My problem is I SEE the potential and I actually make use of these things. Not to turn a profit but to simply have things I want and create, or build for some one in need .
    People with to much money throw things away for no other reason than ignorance .
    Having been at the receiving end of a reprimand for trying to enlighten the ignorant, I finally learned to say nothing or negotiate to salvage the cast offs .

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC00174.JPG
    An old book, any day of the week. :)

RightHand likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. SB21
  3. Motomom34
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Farm Blacksmithing 1921

[ATTACH] [IMG]