Neck Injuries and Shooting

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BadgeBunny, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Take a styrofoam cup and fill with water... freeze and when you have spasms remove from the freezer and peel a inch from the lip of the cup... have your significant other give an ice massage on the effected area... with stop the spasm faster than heat, increase the blood flow and decrease the pain by numbing the area with cold...

this works with my back spasms it should work with yours... good luck...

2. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Monkey++

I gave this a try and it worked pretty well ... kinda messy lol ... but hey!! you do what you gotta, huh??

Quick little update. I have seen some relief but not as much as I hoped for ... It appears though, that shooting anything is out of the picture for a while. Seems these neurotomies work about 50% of the time the first time so I am guessing I might wind up going in for another in the next month or so. Still way too much pain from routine activities for me to think they are gonna start my physical therapy yet.

Did a little research on my own and apparently low impact collisions in which a person is wearing their shoulder harness are prone to cause some long term and maybe even permanent injury. Not what I wanted to find out either, but I generally do better if I just face cold hard facts and not pussy foot around an issue.

3. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Monkey++

Quick update for those of you who were interested. The neurotomy seems to have done its job to some extent, although it took me about two months to start seeing improvement, not the 30 days the doc said it would take.

Day to day chores are much easier to do now. Only take pain meds ocassionally (still have problems with pain waking me up). Am shooting a little ... even the little Buckmark will cause a spasm and headache if I shoot more than 100 rounds. So ... I have started my own PT (doc didn't want to send me. Says my injuries are permanent and that too much physical therapy will just irritate the facets again.) I maintain that without doing something to regain my strength and mobility I am screwed anyway.

Anyhow, things are better, the neurotomy was in my doc's terms "more successful than she had anticipated".

One day at a time I suppose ... but for those of you with certain types of chronic neck and back pain, it seems that radiofrequency neurotomies are useful. I would strongly suggest you talk to your doc about this procedure if you have unresolved issues with chronic pain. If it is something you are a candidate for it may make a real difference in your quality of life. It certainly has mine.

4. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

Thanks BB for the help and I'm glad it's better.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7