Need a Second Opinion??????

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 7, 2005.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As usual, Quig came up with a better way. b:: [bow]

The logs are kept in the test center, accessed from the main page.

2. nope

nope Monkey+++ Founding Member

Just an FYI, you can only use one anti-virus program on your pc at a time. You can have many installed but only one running at a time or they conflict with eachother and cause errors. Also, if your anti-virus shuts down by itself, boot it back up, update it and scan pc for virus's.

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Anyone know anything about "TrendMicro" and using it for spyware or adware?

I am having some problems...For some reason..MSN Messenger is on my computer..I took it off when I got it...

Now it runs everytime I reboot...and I am not even aware of it...

Tried the Start , Run, MSCONFIG thing...and unchecked it..It does not show up in the control panel either???????

What is going on??????

Help???

4. ghrit

Trend Micro systems is seriously good stuff, but pricey. My outfit uses it exclusively and it works very well. MUST be kept up to date, as with all useful AV programs.

MSN has recently been suffering from the same virus that affected melbo's computer a week or so ago. SOBER dot X he had, there are a couple other variants floating around. AVG will find and clean it, as will (I think) most of the rest of the more common AV programs. Basically, and without a closer look, you have SOBER operating. One thing you should be seeing is dramatic slowing of your computer. Yahoo is another point of entry, and it drags MSN in with it. Do a scan with whatever AV program you have, get it updated, and scan again. Then go to MS website and get your security software updated, then scan again. In the meantime, you will see your computer speeding up bit by bit while on line, or you hope so.

SOBER distributes itself by e-mail, so chances are pretty good that you've been unknowingly mailing it out to all your contacts and then some. After it runs thru you address book, it starts creating addresses by itself and fills your inbox with undeliverable notices. I had a SOBER variant last year, and it was a first class nuisance to get rid of. Can be done, but takes some diligence.

We can hope citizenX chimes in on this one.

5. CRC

Well...dammit.

Going off to do all you recommended...I run McAfee all the time..Anti Virus, Firewall, Spamkiller, and Privacy....

It was free with the Comcast.

Sheeesh...I can't even find it to uninstall it??

Thanks.....I may need some talking thru this...any takers?

6. CRC

I also ran the free version of TrendMicro..and it says I'm clean...ran adware and spybot also....I do all the time..

How do I find it if is says it's not there?

7. ghrit

Try "start" "search" try MSN in the text. Write down the file names that show up if you don't recognize them, or copy paste the file NAMES, NOT CONTENT, and post them to see if any are recognized.

SOBER (if that is what you have) is a trojan, not adware nor spyware, so it won't show up in spybot or adaware. It should get caught by the better AVs which McAfee isn't. Norton is better, and the paid version of Trend or AVG are even better.

Luck, lass, that is about all I can tell you.

8. CRC

Ok..I did all you told me to do...

and then some...I went to the McAfee site and downloaded the stinger and ran it twice checking everything on here...

Whatever it was..is gone..

MSN Messenger is gone....finally.

Computer is singing and fast...

Should I get rid of McAfee and get the AVG?? The techs we use all use it and say the free version is better than some paid AV programs and that the one you pay for is great..

9. CRC

Computer guy came today....It was some sort of spyware...apparently when I was out of town and let my daughter and her boyfriend stay here....he was surfing some sites that put thingys on here...that's the technical term...(shut up... [tng2] )

Anyway...all the scanning and updating I did last night helped..but John got all of it off here and I am ok now...No virus...some thing..he wrote it down ..I'll have to go look...

Poor DJ was so embarrassed when I asked him about it.. and he also put MSN Messenger back on...to talk to his buddies that are away at college.....He will not make that mistake again...

I put the Privacy thing back on....

John says the AVG that you pay for is better than McAfee and a lot cheaper....so I guess it is that or the other one....the free one I tried last night.....

Thanks for the good wishes....

Nice to get a clean bill of health today when I got home.....(and nice to live in a small town where you can give the computer geek the key to your house and trust him to go in......Course he was husband #6 of my friend Janice.... ;) :lol: )

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7