Need a sheath

Discussion in 'Blades' started by gunbunny, May 14, 2009.

1. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I just recently bought myself another knife. I like The knife a lot, but it came with the most worthless sheath (read- cheap) ever sewn together. The big problem, is that aftermarket sheaths don't hold it very secure. The knife is an Ontario Ranger Shank, and as you can see from the picture, it has no handguard to hold it in a conventional kydex/nylon molle compatable sheath.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was hoping to get a kydex sheath with Molle capabilities that fit it, and tried every one at the show that I could find. I think the only way that I'm going to get a good fit is if I have one made. It is a shame, the knife is a decent steel (for a mass produced knife) and was inexpensive.

Where do you guys have your kydex/nylon sheaths made?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I made a couple of my own using heavy nylon strapping material.
    I laid the knife on it, folded it, pinned it where I wanted it to fit, and then hand stitched it together with nylon thread.
    Not easy, but doable!

3. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I get my kydex made at www.redhillsheaths.com - this couple lives in my town and makes the best Kydex I've ever seen.

4. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Thanks, Valkman!

I've been thinking about removing the scales, trimming a little off of the front to make it flat, and adding a guard. Unfortunetly, I'd have to bead blast the finish off to soldier the guard on.

Oh well, I guess that's why they make guncote...

The whole point is, if I put a guard on the knife (like it should have already) a regular, off the shelf molle sheath will retain it.

5. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

nice sheath shop>

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7