Need critter proof garden ideas!

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Leeuhhh, Mar 11, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I use 4 foot rabbit guard fencing on 7 foot fence posts with stainless steel lashing wire across the tops of the posts and bury 10" boards at the bottom to prevent digging under which gives a total height of 5+ feet. The only thing that ever got in is a deer and they can jump 6 foot plus chain link fence.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Mindgrinder, Leeuhhh and sec_monkey like this.
  2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Local Laws...did that racoon read the laws before he broke into kill the chickens?

3. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

My parents used to have this thing called a Garden Ghost,basically a motin detector connected to a water gun,worked good for cats and rabbits
    D

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
    sec_monkey likes this.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

They do. We have 3 here.

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I add a 1/8" x 10' cable to mine with a padlock loop on the end. Even still, I've has three stolen.

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Tully Mars

I swear I didn't go that far north for my traps..:D

sec_monkey, HK_User and kellory like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

How far North did you go?

sec_monkey, Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Birmingham;)

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. HK_User

Racoons like corn bread and honey.

11. Tully Mars

They do, but so do I;)

stg58, kellory, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Add a cold glass of milk and the raccoons will starve around my little masion!

13. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

i can't do an electric fence here at my house because I run a preschool program from my home lol. Although I guess the kids would learn fast enough not to mess with it! Going to look In to the traps. Chickens are my next venture after the garden, so getting rid of the pests now would be good.

Dunerunner and Tully Mars like this.
  14. HK_User

Make the Garden Pen large enough to have a section for chickens! Save some time and money. Chickens can be a real pest or a pest removal system in a garden. Just depends on what they like.

Tully Mars likes this.
  15. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

It's not hard to turn a fence off. In fact, you could put it on a clock/vacation style timer and have it turn off during the day when the kids' presence would keep the raccoons away, and if the critters might still get in when the kids are around, then you have much bigger problems with the safety of the preschool than an electric fence. Coons carry some bad diseases.

AT

Tully Mars likes this.
  16. HK_User

Sure enough, my kids could do it in the dark but often they forgot to turn it back on.

Don't Ask.

17. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

Neat I will have to look in to it then. And we have missed our outside times because of the raccoons in the yard! They are creepy!

18. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Them theres' Native 'merican coons.....they gots Status and differnt laws like no limit or season huntn an fishin...eh?

Georgia_Boy and Tully Mars like this.
  19. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Don't know first hand but the word is once they clap down it is bad news and they don't release until they are fully dead. Preserve the head, if not get the rabies shots another not good story. Know a guy who had the old regime of rabies shots in the gut he lives but....

On a warm summer in my garage with outside night lights on saw a shadow move by outside of an open door in my garage looked out and it was a Raccoon, drew my pistol and shot it..

Edit, had a piece of plywood blocking critter access...

sec_monkey likes this.
  20. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

We were "trapped" in the house once by raccoons sitting on the railing. They just sat there in the middle of the day. I think they wanted to eat us.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7