Need critter proof garden ideas!

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Leeuhhh, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Seem like something a "point and click" device could solve quite easily.

[​IMG]

2. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Awe but they are so cute.

Rabies Vector Species - How To Tell if a Raccoon is Rabid

In my state shoot on site no license needed.

[​IMG]
    In some states, the raccoon is classified as a rabies vector species (RVS), which means it's an animal that can carry and transmit rabies. Technically, any mammal can do so, but raccoons are a higher risk. Thus, the animal is subject to certain laws by state. How to tell if a raccoon is sick - learn the signs of a rabid raccoon - basically, it looks sick.

Here are the top 5 signs of a rabid raccoon:
    1) Difficulty walking - fully or partially paralyzed hind legs, or walking in circles.
    2) Looks confused, disoriented, slow. A healthy raccoon will be doing something purposeful, and it'll look alert.
    3) Makes crazy noises - most healthy raccoons chatter to each other, or make a real racket when fighting or mating, but usually when they're foraging about, they aren't making crazy noises.
    4) Foaming at the mouth - if you're close enough to see this, get away!
    5) Just plain looks sick - shouldn't be too hard to tell. Raccoons can contract a variety of diseases, including distemper, but in no cases should you risk contact with a raccoon.

Here are some behaviors exhibited by BOTH healthy and rabid raccoons:
    1) Out during the daytime - totally normal. However, still exercise caution.
    2) No fear of humans - raccoons have become urban animals like squirrels. Many healthy raccoons have zero fear of people.

What if a raccoon is just plain aggressive? That's probably not a useful sign to tell if a raccoon has rabies. While most raccoons don't bother people directly, sometimes they do, but that doesn't mean it is rabid. Most of the time they do ignore people, or just kind of look at you and move on - unless they've been fed by people! In that case, they might learn to harass people in hopes of getting more food. Sick or not, that's a bad thing that might require raccoon removal. Click here for my full guide on raccoon trapping tips.

Dunerunner, Leeuhhh and Mindgrinder like this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

In Ohio, if you trap them in the havahart traps, DO NOT RELEASE THEM. ( big fine) you must kill them, or call someone like varmitgard, who will kill it for about $35.00 each. Best method seems to be, fill a trashcan with water, and sink the full trap inside. Come back later, and bury the remains. If possible, I'd suggest using the remains as bait for coyote traps.

Leeuhhh, Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I can't help it, I think the little buggers are cute and I have a hard time trapping/killing them unless I really need to. They are all over down here and for the most part don't cause us any problems. The wife has a friend that raised one from a pup-or whatever you call a baby raccoon. Other than making a dash for her earrings its harmless and I'm told a good mouser as well.

5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

oldawg likes this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Same where I live. Trapped and euthanized on the property, carcass disposed of (buried) on the property. It is unlawful to relocate as you are essentially relocating the problem to another area.

kellory and sec_monkey like this.
  7. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Racoons are no problem here, but these guys swing thru the trees.

[​IMG]

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

This AM, on my way to town, I noticed a flock of domesticated ducks in a newly made chain link fence pen. No top, soon to be hawk and racoon tidbits on the turf.

This brings up the safety needed to have any poultry in a pen. You must build in such a manner as to prevent the "reach through" of little hands aka Racoon Paws/Skunks. To build safely you need 1/4 inch rat wire/hardware cloth at the bottom 2 feet as well as underground. Chicken wire just will not work. The chicks or ducks will snuggle down against the wire and the next morning you will find the carcass inside the pen and the head chewed off from the outside.

Leeuhhh likes this.
  9. Tully Mars

Wait what?o_O
    I've been to AZ and there are no trees. Cactus and barren sand with giant assed desert spiders but no trees..;)

10. HK_User

You need to hit the high places.

11. Tully Mars

I was just trying to help Rancher perpetuate his past stories;)
    Personally I liked the Prescott/Cottonwood areas when I was there, but that was a long time ago.

12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I think they call that the " petrified forest " now......:rolleyes:

oldawg, Airtime and Tully Mars like this.
  13. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I'll post a picture later to explain why I am not worried about OPSEC.

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I suspect it is the same reason, I do not worry a lot about OPSEC, around here..... To far out to have a lot of concerns.....

15. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Nope that's actually not it.

[
    I have this giant "welcome" sign in my front yard.

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  16. HK_User

17. HK_User

This trap has caught 3 kits and one big Racoon at the same time. A full grown Buzzard once managed to catch its self in this trap.

This is my small Racoon Cage, I am working on a larger one.

The bait is a fish product and is wired to the bottom of the cage below the trip pan.

Racoon Trap with Bait tied to bottom of cage 1.JPG

The cage as it sets ready, baited and ready to be finished for this set.
    Racoon Trap  2 on its base.JPG

Always stake or tie your cage to the ground. Racoons will roll and tumble and you will find your trap empty when you return.
    Racoon Trap 3 tied to Tree.JPG

Just to give you an idea of what a real Racoon trap is.
    Racoon Trap 4 with Rifle for size relation.JPG

Quick cover for now. Maybe something besides a Racoon will show up!
    Racoon Trap 5 with Foliage.JPG

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I have to use Dog Proof coon traps around here. My kinfolk trained the stupid hound dog to go into the live trap and kill the coon. So, now, whenever you set out the trap, all you catch is the stupid coon dog! Marshmallows worked well for me.

There are some critters that marking your property with urine will keep out, among other things.

19. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

I'm pretty sure my dog would lose this fight....

20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What is that?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7