Need help: Heating issue

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by sdr, Jan 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sdr

sdr Monkey++

I've played around with a fresnel lens years ago. Pretty amazing. It will vaporise a penny in nothing flat. Walk across a dry lawn and leave a flame trail behind you.
    From what I understand you don't gain anymore energy from them except what the total area of the lens equals.
    Meaning if the area of the lens is 9 square feet it would gather the same heat as a 9 foot square solar collector.
    The lens only condenses the total energy into a much smaller area.
    Would be interesting to test but tracking the sun would be a challenge.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A lens will collect all the incident light and focus it on something (maybe a pot of water or some other working fluid.) The conversion efficiency is the secret key to solar power. I'm not up to conversion efficiency with solar panels, but I don't think it's above 10%. Thermal efficiency of conversion using a working fluid is like a power plant, could be as high as 40 percent or so. As you say, tracking is tricky but it has been done, with problems, of course.
    Ivanpah Solar Power Facility - Wikipedia

3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

For a cheap entry into fresnel lenses, try a pack of these. Use to squint at the dates on coins, start fires, whatever comes interesting. I have one in the desk, one in the kitchen two in the camping supply box, one in the BOB and a couple spares. Just found them again on Amazon the other day.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z88T25X/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2019
    Dunerunner likes this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've skimmed this thread and hadn't seen insulation mentioned. I've never been in a well insulated trailer. Sealing cracks and adding more insulation would reduce the heat loss and make the space more comfortable. Do keep in mind that a sealed space will require adequate ventilation if you burn anything to produce heat. (I imagine a snow cave here. So well insulated it can be heated by a single candle, with down slope air inlet and roof exhaust.)

5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Don't overlook a humidifier. Keeping the humidity around 50% will reduce evaporative cooling of the skin and aids the respiratory system. Makes a big difference in the perceived warmth of a space.

6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I never thought about the perceived warmth on the skin, but there was always a kettle of water on the wood stove up home. The benefit I saw was it kept my nose from cracking inside in the dry winter air.

No worries around here. It was 74 yesterday.

7. sdr

sdr Monkey++

I should start looking for a big screen TV lens. Doesn't take up much room and is tremendously fun to play with.
    A few times during the winter I have fired up the furnace and spent some time in it. Doesn't do to bad. I have tried my best to seal it up pretty tight. For long term use a cover would be a must. I purchased a couple giant tarps years ago just because the price was right. Pretty sure both would cover it. Last year I made a trade and scored around 300 pounds of very thick, large, UV resistant plastic. Black on one side and white on the other. I believe the stuff is used to cover grain.

Very good idea on the humidity.

1. hot diggity
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. Prepper12
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. DKR
  6. TnAndy
  7. Dunerunner
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Southbound
  11. off_grid_guy